Author Topic: Waterproofing Envelopes?  (Read 12250 times)

Offline Sherry Lu

• View Profile
    • Sherry Lu Photography
Waterproofing Envelopes?
« on: February 03, 2014, 01:55:09 AM »
Hi everyone! I'm just wondering if anyone does anything special to their envelopes before/after they calligraph them to make sure the ink doesn't run if it gets wet during the mailing process? Or are there special inks that are waterproof out of the bottle? I'm using a sumi ink, and it's not pretty when it gets wet...

Offline joi

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • www.bienfaitcalligraphy.com
Re: Waterproofing Envelopes?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 08:12:32 AM »
i think this stuff is great.  it might take a bit of practice because you don't need much, but it's way better than a spray because it doesn't get everywhere.
i actually found this for my daughters special art project last year and it worked great on some party invites i did too (not calligraphy but stamping ink).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004M5B3NM/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 11:31:49 AM »
I never put anything on the envelopes before or after. I figured it was the same as mailing any envelope that is hand addressed. I thought, though, the moon palace sumi was waterproof but I could be making that up!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline FrenchBlue Joy

• yogini, calligraphiste*
    • View Profile
    • Studio French Blue
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 01:20:14 AM »
I've had some things arrive smeary in the UK--  especially custom-mixed gouaches.  I'm totally going to get some of that Judi-kins, because the spray I was using is rank and awful!

Offline Roseann

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 01:28:05 AM »
Just today, I used Blair Spray Fix on an envelope, and it changed the color of the gouache.  Turned almost neon.
After that I used regular hairspray, and it didn't affect the gouache at all. 
Roseann

“The world is so full of a number of things, I’m sure we should all be as happy as kings.”   R. L. Stevenson

Offline Sherry Lu

• View Profile
    • Sherry Lu Photography
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 02:15:46 AM »
Cool, thanks!

Erica: I'm not using Moon Palace ;D And it just gets smeary... I tried on an extra envelope just to see.

Joi: How do you apply that stuff? With a brush? After you write with ink?? :O

Offline FrenchBlue Joy

• yogini, calligraphiste*
    • View Profile
    • Studio French Blue
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 06:20:40 AM »
I learned about it from Schin's blog. She did a post, with photos and stuff.  I tried to link to it, but I can't figure out how to do it because I'm on my phone and it's a tumblr blog. 

Offline joi

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • www.bienfaitcalligraphy.com
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 06:57:16 AM »
i found the post that joy references above, but i can't figure out how to link to that specific post, so here is the tumblr link and just scroll down until you find it.  she has pictures and does a great job explaining how to use it.  i use my finger to apply it.  i tried a brush once and i kinda used to much pressure or swirled it too much.  i feel like with your finger you get a better feel for how much you are applying.
hope that helps!

http://openinkstand.tumblr.com/
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 12:14:24 PM by joi »

Offline Roseann

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 11:25:35 AM »
Hi Sherry!
Here's a you tube on Micro Glaze.

Roseann

“The world is so full of a number of things, I’m sure we should all be as happy as kings.”   R. L. Stevenson

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 03:52:06 PM »
Thanks for the shoutout, Joy and Joi! hehe.

Another thumbs up for microglaze. I love the stuff. It never seems to run out either.
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline Sherry Lu

• View Profile
    • Sherry Lu Photography
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 04:42:51 PM »
Awesome! I enjoyed the video and Schin's post. (Which I'll leave the link to here, in case someone comes upon this post in the future and it's too far back in the archives: http://openinkstand.tumblr.com/post/74256056499/hello-do-you-use-any-type-of-spray-fixative-after-you)

(off to order some microglaze now!) Vancouver is often nicknamed "Raincouver". :) Can't be too safe here!

Offline Donna

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 10:31:37 PM »
My sister-in-law used to send me letters using non waterproof ink...to keep the envelope from smudging if it rained, she would waterproof her lettering by rubbing a candle (on its side) over everything.  This did the trick, but would also take away from the blackness of the letter somewhat.  I have used this technique in a pinch.  Especially if I were sending something in the winter when we get LOTS of rain!

Offline Perfectsettings

• View Profile
    • Perfect Settings
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 03:27:46 PM »
A day late and a dollar short... I just saw this thread.  A few days ago I had to redo an envelope to a client after having sat out during the blizzard.  I'm not telling but I don't think my postman worked that day... who can blame him?  At any rate, I'm so happy that there is such a thing.  Never even thought about waterproofing an envelope!
Daisy
Lover of all things beautiful.

Offline Marcia Aronow

• View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Marcia Aronow
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2014, 11:10:19 PM »
Am I taking my professional life in my hands by addressing wedding envelopes in gouache?!?  I'm using a mix of W&N Prussian blue with a drop of Higgins eternal, maybe I should've used a drop of Sumi instead.  Roseann when you used hairspray, did the scent stay on the envelopes?  I think I need to try something. 
Enjoy your day!
Marcia

Offline Roseann

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2014, 12:48:42 AM »
Hi Marcia,
I gave the envelopes two coats of hairspray, with an hour drying time in between.  I had to put the envelope very close to smell the faintest scent.  There was probably no scent at all by the time it reached it's destination.
I used Suave, Max Hold, Unscented.
You can always mail a test envelope to a friend to see how it arrives.  I've done that a few times.
Roseann