Author Topic: Hand Sweat  (Read 1897 times)

Offline Akawaii

• Freshman Member
  • Money is the national anthem of the world
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Hand Sweat
« on: March 08, 2016, 09:11:43 PM »
Hello, I return! However, my return is not with a really serious question-hopefully. When I am practicing, I notice that when I let go of my holder, and open my hand, the hand is moist! I tried loosening my grip, however, this makes it hard to flex the nib. Is this a result of bad hand posture, or is this normal? Thank you!

Offline Elizabeth O.

• View Profile
    • Elizabeth Oxenfeld
Re: Hand Sweat
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 05:50:11 PM »
I sure hope its normal!  If not...we are probably all in trouble!  Haha!  ;D

Since you are concerned that the sweat is caused by your grip (and, I'm assuming, not the temperature of the room), try holding another object in your non-dominant hand (maybe an eraser or another pen/marker/pencil or even a paper ball) - grip it every time you think your writing hand's grip is too tight.  I use it as a check/comparison - if I clench the eraser and I feel like the grips of both of my hands are equal, then I know (for sure) that I've got to relax my writing hand.

This may be TMI, but I sweat when the room is too hot or I need a break.  Turning down the thermostat and/or going to do something else helps me out.  I can always return to my work later.

Maybe others have better suggestions...
All my best -- Elizabeth O.

Website | Instagram

Offline Akawaii

• Freshman Member
  • Money is the national anthem of the world
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 08:16:08 PM »
I sure hope its normal!  If not...we are probably all in trouble!  Haha!  ;D

Since you are concerned that the sweat is caused by your grip (and, I'm assuming, not the temperature of the room), try holding another object in your non-dominant hand (maybe an eraser or another pen/marker/pencil or even a paper ball) - grip it every time you think your writing hand's grip is too tight.  I use it as a check/comparison - if I clench the eraser and I feel like the grips of both of my hands are equal, then I know (for sure) that I've got to relax my writing hand.

This may be TMI, but I sweat when the room is too hot or I need a break.  Turning down the thermostat and/or going to do something else helps me out.  I can always return to my work later.

Maybe others have better suggestions...

Oh, this makes me feel better.  ;D That certainly wasn't TMI, and this helped me a lot! Thank you Elizabeth!

Offline Inked botanicals

• View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 06:24:38 AM »
I do not know if that troubles you in terms of the holder turning slippery too. But in that case maybe you can try and wrap your holder in some cloth or absorbant paper that absorbs that moist and you can keep practicing. Sometimes when I am nervous my hands get a bit of sweat too, making the holder slippery and myself more nervous! And it usually happens when someone is watching me writing...
Alba.

Instagram: @inked_botanicals

Offline randy2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 01:33:58 AM »
One of the reasons the old masters used to wrap their holders with string.

Offline Tasmith

• View Profile
    • Todd A. Smith Photography, LLC
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 10:20:02 AM by Tasmith »
Todd