Author Topic: Diamine Inkvent 2023  (Read 1838 times)

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Diamine Inkvent 2023
« on: December 21, 2023, 11:33:41 AM »
With kind permission from Inkvent Master @K-2 , I'm going to quote K's introduction to last year's Inkvent, as K explains it well, and begin this year's Inkvent calendar. We will have to await K's participation until January or so, as K's schedule is very crowded just now. It's actually day 21 today, but I'll start with day one and post as many days I can, albeit in a simple form, to which I may or may not add as time goes by.

Feel free to participate in any way you like, even if you don't have this year's calendar (which features purple this year).

Quote:
Inkventors - get ready to post!  Much like Inktober, there really aren't "rules" to Inkvent.  The only courtesy we should observe is to not post ahead of schedule or out of order so as to not spoil the surprise for those Inkventors who are dutifully opening those little doors in order, and as scheduled.  I know @AnasaziWrites got his box in the mail!  who else is with us?

Of course, maybe you didn't purchase the set, but still want to ink!  You can use the name of the ink as your prompt, just like in Inktober, if you like; you'll just have to wait until the day of for the reveal.  But that's fine.  There's no way I'm going to be able to post every day this time around.  It's just a super busy time at work, and I've committed a lot of time to working with my kid's school's music boosters, and I have to travel for the holidays.  Eventually we'll all get through all the inks - just like last time (even though it took through January): https://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=7287.0
@Zivio & @Lucie Y & @tiffany.c.a & @Erica McPhee & @InkyFingers - you were all such awesome Inktoberists!  maybe you'll come in for Invent too!

As participants on the Forum have often noted - you can use fountain pen inks with dip pens if you doctor them a bit.  I also use fountain pen inks for drawing and painting.  All the drawings I posted in the Inktober 2021 and 2022 threads were done with fountain pen inks for instance.  They have some wonderful properties of shading and chromatography, making them a very exciting art medium.  Nick Stewart shows off their amazing range on his blog: https://nickstewart.ink/

Hence, I'm posting to the "Tools and Supplies" area, since this thread will produce a catalogue of lovely, colorful inks that may be helpful for some future project.
Unquote

My posts will be done on Strathmore Bristol Smooth 300 or 400. I did the first ink, Fortunes Gold, using a Gillott 604ef nib, but switched to a Spencerian #1, which is a little less sharp, for the rest unless noted otherwise. Seems to work better with these fountain pen inks. Also, all these inks come in 12 ml bottles, so when I mention adding gum arabic to the ink, it is added to the full bottle.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2023, 04:15:39 PM by AnasaziWrites »

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Re: Diamine Inkvent 2023
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2023, 11:49:45 AM »
Day 1:  Fortunes Gold

A very interesting "chameleon" ink, ie. it changes color when viewed at different angles. On wet paper (I use paper towels) it bleeds from deep ocher to lighter yellow, light green and a touch of red. I really sparkles when applied heavily, as in shades in Spencerian. The metallic particles precipitate out very quickly, so has to be shaken often--I could barely get a five letter word out before having to shake and re-ink using a dip pen. Probably would look great with a broad pen. Can be used straight out of the bottle with a dip pen, but I added 5 drops of gum arabic to the 5 ml bottle to decrease somewhat the particle precipitation. Can imagine using this in illuminated letters. A great one to start the month.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 11:09:16 AM by AnasaziWrites »

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2023, 05:30:51 PM »
Day 2:  Cashmere Rose

What they call a "standard" ink, ie. no special properties. Very runny ink--I added 20 drops of gum arabic (to a 12ml bottle) to use with a pointed pen and still could not make large shades without railroading. Works fine with small script.

Henceforth, I'll not comment on how the inks bleed on moist paper, but rather let you see for yourself.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2023, 04:17:20 PM by AnasaziWrites »

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2023, 05:32:31 PM »
Day 3:  Early Dusk

Another standard ink. Added 5 drops of gum arabic to make it reasonably controllable with a pointed pen.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 11:22:41 AM by AnasaziWrites »

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2023, 05:34:20 PM »
Day 4:  Masquerade

An ink with shimmer. Works well with pointed pen without gum arabic. Love these shimmer inks. Nothing quite like it in my collection of inks.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 11:27:59 AM by AnasaziWrites »

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2023, 05:35:32 PM »
Day 5:  Nightfall

A chameleon ink--definitely appears different from different angles and in different thicknesses of line. Works well with pointed pen adding 5 drops of gum arabic. I can already tell this will be one of my favorites. Hopefully, Diamine will offer it in larger bottles.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 11:34:52 AM by AnasaziWrites »

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2023, 05:45:12 PM »
Day 6:  BucksFizz

Another chameleon ink. Added 10 drops of gum arabic to get decent shades and slow precipitation of the metallics, which is quite rapid. Lovely color. Could be great in a sunset rendering.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2023, 07:24:29 PM »
That’s cool! Looks and sounds like a cool bar drink!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2023, 05:40:33 PM »
Day 7:  Sweet Dreams

A standard ink plus 15 drops gum arabic added, which seems to be about right for these standard inks.
Not sure how much info the photo of the bottle adds on these standard inks, but I'll continue.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2023, 05:43:53 PM »
Day 8:  Jacaranda

A standard ink, plus 15 drops gum arabic. They really got the color right, especially when it bleeds a little--just like the tree in bloom.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2023, 02:44:48 PM »
Be still my heart! That Jacaranda is GORGEOUS!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2023, 03:02:47 PM »
Day 9:  Moonbeam

A chameleon ink plus 10 drops gum arabic, similar to Nightfall but a little greener. Nice.
Sorry about the bottle photo--the bottle is scratched and I had a hard time photoing it.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2023, 03:20:18 PM »
The Moonbeam is much prettier on the paper than it is on the paper towel. I’m glad you mentioned how much gum Arabic you had to use. I mixed my own ink concoction for my Christmas cards using Ferris Wheel Press turquoise ink, bleedproof white, “blue” ink crystals (which are really dark teal green) and McCaffrey’s Indigo trying to get a “duck egg blue” and it took me forever. I went from three dinky dips to a giant container as I kept adding more white, more gum Arabic, more ink. It was a disaster. And I still don’t feel like it was very good - didn’t get very good thins. But I was afraid of adding too much gum Arabic. Turns out, I probably didn’t add enough.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2023, 04:58:11 PM »
Day 10:  Velvet Emerald

Standard ink plus 10 drops gum arabic. A nice but common color. Looks more interesting when it bleeds.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2023, 05:03:46 PM »
Day 11:  Glacier

A Star Bright ink, no gum arabic. A ton of metallic in this one and hard to photo. Looking at it straight on, it's a medium blue. With light at an angle, almost pure silver. Really interesting. I could see doing Silver anniversary party invitations in this ink (if I did invitations).