Author Topic: Still learning  (Read 1522 times)

Offline Bex

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Still learning
« on: June 13, 2016, 11:53:48 PM »
I have been working on Spencerian for a few months now except for a month I took off to deal with some personal issues.  I have graduated from copy books to paper and my new, extraordinary fabulous, amazing dip pen and ink.  I bough Michael Sull's Learning to Write Spencerian Script so I can learn flourishing.  I have noticed that even while using copy paper, the oblique pen makes it easier to get the beautiful ovals and graceful lines known in this script.  I have a very, very long way to go yet, but I am still here and still learning.  Spencerian is so beautiful, I wish I could write well enough to use it in letter writing.  Not yet, but getting there. Now all I need is some quality paper.

In all honesty, learning this script is like therapy during a particularly difficult time in my life. It is absolutely beautiful and as my fiancé once stated, it is kinda like art (it is art, but he was trained in fine art in college and not one to hand out compliments for that craft). It was one of the finest compliments he had ever given me for something accomplished and one I will never forget.

Bex

Offline FlowerCityLetters

• View Profile
    • Flower City Letters
Re: Still learning
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 08:45:44 AM »
Welcome to the Forum, Bex. It's so nice to hear people speak so fondly of Spencerian. It's my favorite script :).

Writing letters is really great practice for Spence, you might not feel at that level yet, but I would encourage you to do it anyway. People love receiving letters and it's great motivation to keep practicing and writing.

I'm glad calligraphy has been there for you during hard times, I would agree that it can be very therapeutic. I hope to see your work on the forum sometime!

Offline tiffany.c.a

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 08:31:36 PM »
I agree, I encourage you to write letters, when you feel ready, but don't judge your writing harshly or think it needs to be pro level before you do.

Wow, in terms of being therapeutic, I am having a similar experience this year. It's been meaning a lot to me, even just to practice.

Offline himasf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 03:26:14 AM »
Spencerian is indeed beautiful. Not easy though, in my experience at least. Been at it for two years. May I recommend Rhodia paper? Kinda pricey but it's smooth, doesn't bleed and translucent enough so you can see guidelines underneath.

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 07:22:59 AM »
+1 for Rhodia: it generally works out as the most cost effective option for getting decent paper, and it has even been seen in real shops on the high street occasionally.

I certainly understand about the benefits during difficult times: it was much the same for me a couple of years ago.  I'm not sure that it's therapeutic as such, but having something which demands your entire attention and focus is definitely a help when external factors feel like they're beyond your control.  Take care, Bex.

Offline Bex

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 08:18:14 AM »
I will order that paper.  I have a thing for really nice paper, so, this will be a good thing. I have researched in on amazon and now I want little notebook size as well for just travel notes.  I need all the help I can get with Spencerian.  :P

Bex