Author Topic: Day 19 - 2022: PONYTAIL  (Read 952 times)

Offline Zivio

• Foment Compassion, Practice Peace
    • View Profile
Day 19 - 2022: PONYTAIL
« on: October 19, 2022, 12:31:43 AM »
Sharing some of my "P" practice.  Quitting while ahead ... or tired. Let the brain do its magic while sleeping on it. 
Foment Compassion, Practice Peace

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Day 19 - 2022: PONYTAIL
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2022, 12:02:47 PM »
Wow @Zivio !!! I am so impressed with your progress! Beautiful!!!

Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2022, 12:11:32 PM »
I wanted to do something clever with this one but alas time does not permit. What a great word!  ;D

Another capital inspired by James Farrell.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2022, 03:44:39 PM »
Raising your Sea Monkeys @K-2  with this pair of Flintstone glasses (they originally held Welch's jelly, grape, I think) from 1962-3 my wife still has. Good for juice in the morning. Don't make me go back to the '50's.

Diamine "Pink Ice" ink from Inkvent 2021. I was wondering what occasion would be good to use this one.
W&N#8 Round brush.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 03:51:31 PM by AnasaziWrites »

Offline Zivio

• Foment Compassion, Practice Peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2022, 05:45:41 PM »
Wow @Zivio !!! I am so impressed with your progress! Beautiful!!!

Thank you so much, Erica! I seem to have turned a corner lately, to which I attribute SO much to your Flourish Forum.  Whenever learning something new, I’m often delighted when one thing leads to another … to another, each new discovery opening the way ahead. This has happened over and over since joining this forum. What you have created here and made possible is commendable! It is marvelous how it has leveraged and multiplied your interest and love of this art to touch and help so many.

Just a day ago, I encountered https://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=2402.msg33746#msg33746 in the archive which already, with only little practice has made a huge improvement in my touch and movement!

And well beyond the archive, it has been the forum members who have generously offered support.  @Jean Wilson and @InkyFingers have encouraged, offered helps and mentored me on- and off-forum and have become friends. @AnasaziWrites mailed me my first “real life” personal example of a gorgeous Spencerian addressed envelope, card and note. Until then I’d only seen online pictures -- there's a huge difference!  I treasure, and refer often to this gift.  @K-2 and @Lucie Y via PM and social media offering tips, links and exhortations.  And countless others whose comments and offerings are found in the forum.

Hoping you get the idea … I’m grateful!
Foment Compassion, Practice Peace

Offline Lucie Y

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2022, 08:09:51 PM »
Hi everyone! it's 2AM (on October 20th)
This morning, I had this glorious idea of minimalist cards with greetings written in French Roundhound with walnut ink and a simple gilded drawing. Well, I tried all sorts of things tonight and couldn't get anywhere close to what I wanted.

So, I practiced on "Ponytail", using gold leaf and miniatum ink.
If you have ideas or advice on what ornaments might best suit French Roundhand, please share! I think I prefer the first 2 (vines and butterflies), and the wee ornaments in general, rather than the larger ones.

@Zivio this forum is becoming an important part of my calligraphy journey too, and I am incredibly grateful @Erica McPhee. And @K-2 , I really want to thank you for getting me on the Inktober train! These past two weeks have incredibly encouraging and have given me a chance to grow in doing what I love, with awesome camaraderie too!

@AnasaziWrites so glad you brought up the Flintstones, I need to find cups like that :D
Oh crêpe!

Offline tiffany.c.a

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2022, 09:04:44 PM »
Lucie, great lettering and fine gilding.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2022, 09:22:33 PM »
Hi everyone! it's 2AM (on October 20th)
This morning, I had this glorious idea of minimalist cards with greetings written in French Roundhound with walnut ink and a simple gilded drawing. Well, I tried all sorts of things tonight and couldn't get anywhere close to what I wanted.

So, I practiced on "Ponytail", using gold leaf and miniatum ink.
If you have ideas or advice on what ornaments might best suit French Roundhand, please share! I think I prefer the first 2 (vines and butterflies), and the wee ornaments in general, rather than the larger ones.

@Zivio this forum is becoming an important part of my calligraphy journey too, and I am incredibly grateful @Erica McPhee. And @K-2 , I really want to thank you for getting me on the Inktober train! These past two weeks have incredibly encouraging and have given me a chance to grow in doing what I love, with awesome camaraderie too!

@AnasaziWrites so glad you brought up the Flintstones, I need to find cups like that :D
Nice, nice, nice.

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2022, 09:34:52 PM »
Great stuff here.  So glad my bits of encouragement brought you on board, @Zivio and @Lucie Y -- with the inspiration and community that @Erica McPhee gives us, it's a great place all around.

Lucie -- I particularly like the design with the slightly larger gilded leaf drawing on the right (four down from the top).  The proportions of that one are really cohesive to my eye, and so delicately rendered!

Karl -- you're really leveling up on your Spencerian!  just beautifully drawn!

And @AnasaziWrites - We had those very same Flintstones jam jars! but they didn't survive our childhood.  One of my uncles used to draw the backgrounds for the Flintstones cartoons!  I learned a lot about art from him; and he was a lot nicer about it than my dad.  Here's to them, and to your giant bottle of sumi ink, Mike.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2022, 09:31:00 AM »
And @AnasaziWrites - We had those very same Flintstones jam jars! but they didn't survive our childhood.  One of my uncles used to draw the backgrounds for the Flintstones cartoons!  I learned a lot about art from him; and he was a lot nicer about it than my dad.  Here's to them, and to your giant bottle of sumi ink, Mike.
Yabba-dabba-do.

I'm always impressed when I see a work of art comprised with a few, apparently casual strokes of a brush that captures the essence of the subject so well, as your horse does. Much harder to do. Masterful.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2022, 09:49:08 AM »
Sharing some of my "P" practice.  Quitting while ahead ... or tired. Let the brain do its magic while sleeping on it.
@Zivio
Your best work thus far--very nice.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2022, 11:56:38 AM »
I am so enjoying this! @AnasaziWrites - Mike, you are bringing back my childhood! And that lettering is on point! Love it!

@Lucie Y - gorgeous! I am not at all familiar with French Roundhand but I have noticed on the examplars I have seen that the u and n are almost indistinguishable and need the context of the word to tell which one it is. But the w is distinguished from the m. I am so enamored with your work I am going to break out the broad pen as soon as I get time.  ;D

@K-2 - LOVE the horse! Can feel the wind blowing that ponytail mane.  :D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Lucie Y

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2022, 04:12:22 PM »

@Lucie Y - gorgeous! I am not at all familiar with French Roundhand but I have noticed on the examplars I have seen that the u and n are almost indistinguishable and need the context of the word to tell which one it is. But the w is distinguished from the m. I am so enamored with your work I am going to break out the broad pen as soon as I get time.  ;D

Awww Erica, thank you for the kind words. When I post, all I can see are the flaws. The spacing issues, the lack of consistency, the mistakes... The next day when I look at my work I'm a little less hard on myself though, I troubleshoot and I get back to it.

It is hugely encouraging to me that my work makes you want to get your broad edge nibs out  :-*

And yes, the U's, N's and M's can look really alike depending on exemplars. I just received my Calligraphy book by Julien Chazal. If at some point you would like his Ronde Exemplars for comparison, I'll send you a pic :)
Oh crêpe!

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2022, 12:23:35 AM »
Oh thank you! I have his book so I will check it out.  :-*
Warm Regards,
Erica