Author Topic: Day 22 - 2022 HEIST  (Read 606 times)

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Day 22 - 2022 HEIST
« on: October 22, 2022, 06:58:38 AM »
3.8 mm pilot pen
half uncial

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Day 22 - 2022 HEIST
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2022, 02:33:11 PM »
LOLOLOL! I love it @AnasaziWrites !
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2022, 03:24:28 PM »
Everyone was so kind about my "bad dog"!  It's nice to be reminded that we're all our own harshest critics.

@Lucie Y I think it would look better if the central chest spiral showed two strands, rather than being branches of the same strand.  That would also disambiguate the strands making up the legs from the external knot-work.  I'll have to think on where the strands would need to originate from.  I didn't make enough decisions when I planned that one out.  I'm also not happy that I ended with and under-under from the strand going through the jaws, and then behind the foreleg.  My consolation is that when you look at the intricate work in the Lindisfarne or Kells MSS, you actually see a lot of fudging!  But it's hard to see, because the knot-work is very small, so the third-level task for improving my knot-work is going to be miniaturizing it.

@AnasaziWrites - your seagull heist reminded me of a performance art piece one of my former students did.  He made himself a popcorn suit and gave himself to the gulls in our harbor.  Nice half-uncials too; a very challenging script!

@Erica McPhee - that H is so elegant.  It gives me H goals.

Offline Lucie Y

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2022, 06:00:47 PM »
And here's a third experiment with layout and letter spacing, plus another exercise I did in spacing. I think Ronde looks nicer when the spaces between lines is larger.

@K-2 as I was experimenting with this layout a third time in a row, your advice came to mind :) aye, this is what is beginning to happen. It just took me 3/4 of the month to figure out where I wanted to take things XD.
P.S. I've gone back and admired your bad dog, and it seemed even more amazing than this morning.

2. You'll experiment with the relationship between the versal and the text - spacing, sizing, style, etc.  Again - some will look better than others.  Think about what makes some look better than others - you'll start to develop a theory about it.

3. You'll develop an instinct (or at least a written record) for what's going to work with regard to style/design/script.  Which will make future projects faster, easier, and more polished.  In other words, you'll get from "foul" to "fair" quicker, and the "fair" will be fairer.

@Erica McPhee Awesome H!! I want to try it but man is it intimidating

@AnasaziWrites love it!!!
Oh crêpe!

Offline tiffany.c.a

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2022, 06:51:30 PM »
Anasazi: perfect image and lettering matches so well.
Erica: what an amazing and creative H, graceful T, and great dog illustration yesterday.
K-2: you made that rascal so adorable and expressive.
Lucie: what beautiful writing and vines, your designs are pulling together nicely. 

I finished one of the exchange lists I was determined to do, finally! The last should be in the mail this coming week. I have one more list to do. Doubt I’ll finish that one before October ends, but Inktober and this thread are giving me more motivation to accomplish it.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 06:53:28 PM by tiffany.c.a »

Offline InkyFingers

• All creations not equal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2022, 12:35:00 AM »

Offline Zivio

• Foment Compassion, Practice Peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2022, 04:02:04 PM »
Still away from home but had a moment to work on learning the Dread Letter “H.”

See what “i” did there?  :D
Foment Compassion, Practice Peace

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2022, 04:08:28 PM »

@Zivio
I se  what you did. Very clever.
Are you back soon?

Offline Cyril Jayant

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/jaycyril
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2022, 12:51:28 PM »

@Zivio I am really proud  of your improvements and your writing level is well seen in this thread.
I must say  a big Bravo.

No pain no pleasure and I am still keep on getting more pain to get my level too. :D Take great care and keep filling more lines !!!