Author Topic: Lets talk about "Q"  (Read 3444 times)

Offline Blotbot

• Super Hero Member
  • Follow your bliss.
    • View Profile
Lets talk about "Q"
« on: March 12, 2014, 09:28:51 AM »
I had an unsettling experience this last weekend.  I was going out to finger the papers at my local stationary shops, and invited a friend who recently announced her engagement so she could check out the invitation offerings.  We were in a particularly hoity-toity stationary shop (shoppe) that I think specialized in wedding invitations when the whole thing started.  My friend, whose last name begins with "Q", was looking over the fonts available and stated that, naturally, the "Q" in the font was very important.  Further (here we go), she said she much preferred the modern Q rather than the Q that looks like a "2".  Finally, she stated that she had decided to take her husband's last name, a boring "S", over the glorious "Q" name she has, which is very unique and infused with Ellis Island family history.

So what's up with Q?  I have to admit I find the modern Q easier to read, even though I learned the 2-Q when I learned cursive writing in elementary school.  It seems like the idea of the 2-Q is to start making a large oval, and then abort on the left side to swoosh down to make the foot.  It should work, but I think the oval is aborted too early and the large oval is hard to distinguish.  Sometimes I see the upper entry loop large enough to make part of the left side of the oval, and that helps (http://www.zanerian.com/Zaner8.gif). 

What are your thoughts on Q?  Are there any examples of gorgeous  2-Q's out there that I can use to tempt her away for the "S"?

Ellen
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 09:37:43 AM by Blotbot »

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
Re: Lets talk about "Q"
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 11:39:31 AM »
Ellen, I think your Zanerian sample pretty much takes the 2-Q argument. Can't get anymore gorgeous than that!  :D

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 12:11:35 PM »
I'm also a big fan of the old-fashioned Q! Also, I don't think ambiguity here is a big problem – there aren't many words that start with a capital Q, and usually it's followed by an u!
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline Perfectsettings

• View Profile
    • Perfect Settings
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 02:24:37 PM »
I have nothing to add other than Q is a pretty cool looking letter.  One of my faves... :D
Daisy
Lover of all things beautiful.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 02:35:33 PM »
Ha! I love the capital Q - but the round version, not so much the 2 version. Although, I must admit to liking the zanerian version. 
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 10:14:30 AM »
Interesting subject.  I'm not well up on copperplate, but it's always struck me that the Ornamental penmen tended to seize on a Q as an opportunity to cut loose and show off a bit.  So the attached is a little off topic, but I hope it might amuse.

Left to right:

1st row: Darner; Bloser; Zaner; Madarasz; Williams and Packard

2nd row: Lupfer

3rd row: Jones

Offline Blotbot

• Super Hero Member
  • Follow your bliss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 02:34:34 PM »
Thanks for the collage Andy!  They are beautiful, but it is true that they don't look much like "Q".  The Elizabethans had a good Q, then things started to go amok.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 12:10:48 AM »
I agree Ellen! I'm not sure what Jones was thinking when he did the first one! In any event, I liked seeing these! I was working on the next tutorial today which has Q. Naturally I thought of your friend Ellen!  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 06:50:18 AM »
C W Jones' "Ninety-Five Lessons in Ornamental Penmanship" contains a few capital forms which are, shall we say, rather idiosyncratic.  Part of its charm.  :)

Offline Blotbot

• Super Hero Member
  • Follow your bliss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 09:12:08 AM »
I send Ms. Q. a birthday card this weekend with a rather elegant Q, at least for me.  I will continue my silent campaign.  I have until August to change her mind.....