Author Topic: Breaking in a nib?  (Read 757 times)

Offline carriea

• View Profile
Breaking in a nib?
« on: October 30, 2014, 08:29:12 PM »
Hi, I am new to copperplate and have heard some discussion on breaking in a nib. First, how does one do this? Second, how do you know if it's broken in? And third, how long (maybe in terms of hours- I only practice about 20 mins a day) would a nib last before its done? Thanks so much!

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Re: Breaking in a nib?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 09:23:49 PM »
Hello Carrie.  :)

I don't know that there's an answer to any of those really.  Many nibs will tend to relax and become easier to work with after a while, and eventually all will become old and cantankerous - but how long that takes depends on the nib, paper, ink and writer.  Points which are very flexible in the first place tend to deteriorate more rapidly once they're past their best, whilst stiff broad pens keep writing for ages.  You'll notice these things as you go along.  Heavy pressure will shorten the life of a nib, but probably hasten the breaking in too - the same goes for using corrosive inks in my opinion.  I'm more than happy to accept that my nibs will have a shorter lifespan if it means I can use iron gall ink, but your mileage may vary.

My advice would be to bear in mind that they are consumables, and don't hang on to them once they start to play up.  Most importantly, enjoy yourself.

Offline patweecia

• View Profile
    • Patty Paperie
Re: Breaking in a nib?
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 09:53:22 PM »
hi carrie!  just to add to what andy said...  i think you will know from how the nib writes on paper that it's already broken in.  ideally, it flows more smoothly, sometimes even gliding.  it's best to just try out the different nibs that you have, and have a feel on what nib best suits your style :)
patricia
instagram    |   blog    |   facebook