Author Topic: Nibs  (Read 1248 times)

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Nibs
« on: October 31, 2014, 09:17:29 AM »
I know, the number of days depends on how much per day you use the nib, so, assume you use it for one hour per day. So, if you use it more or less than that, convert the number of days to the equivalent of one hour per day. I'm pretty sure a similar poll has been run in the past, but with so many new forum members, it would be interesting to see current results. And make this for your most commonly used nib. Comments regarding differences among nibs and ink and paper used are welcome.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Re: Nibs
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 09:29:50 AM »
I replace a nib when it will no longer make really fine lines, particularly if I'm sending out an envelope or letter. I'll keep it for a week or so, if it is just for practice, but by that time, the tip is generally flattened.
Iron gall ink eats up the nibs fairly quickly, so I'll use a Zebra G for practice often with this ink because the nibs lasts longer than say, a Spencerian #1, my favorite.

Offline imdcruz

• imdcruz
    • View Profile
    • girl [space] friend
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 11:34:20 AM »
I experiment with gouache a lot with my go-to nib, Gilliot 303. It's a bit difficult for me to notice the gradual change in the viability of my nib since I'm more of a weekend calligraphy enthusiast. So I do get mixed emotions when I deliberate on chucking a 303 to the bin.  :'(

I also use the hunt 101 and the tachikawa G nibs and they are pretty sturdy nibs in my experience. While the 303 will easily show rusting after 2 weeks of use with gouache, my Tachikawa G has no ink stain marks,  produces pretty fine lines, and retains its characteristic 'stiffness'. As for the hunt 101, I change it when the reservoir goes wonky and dumps all the ink in one go.
I am called Ia (eye-ya) but feel free to call me Ice. :)
http://instagram.com/imiacruz

Offline elsa.d

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 04:35:45 PM »
I voted 2-4 weeks. I stop using a nib for commission work when it starts to catch our skip, but I still retain it for practice until it absolutely won't write any more, which is normally another 2 - 4 weeks.

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 04:57:13 PM »
I voted 2-4 weeks. I stop using a nib for commission work when it starts to catch our skip, but I still retain it for practice until it absolutely won't write any more, which is normally another 2 - 4 weeks.

Yup - my experience is similar.

Some nibs last longer than others. Paper and ink makes a big difference too. I have worn out almost new nibs in one afternoon using the wrong kind of paper.

S.
I have an opinion and I'm not afraid to use it.

Copperplate Tutorial :: Toronto Pen Company

Offline prasad

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 01:11:45 AM »
My first nib lasted 5 minutes :)
It was my first attempt at pointed pen calligraphy and armed with some artwork from the IAMPETH site and a Gillot 303 I thought I was E.A.Lupfer.  Got a nice down stroke, really wide and snagged the nib on the upstroke and snapped it. :D

Now,  with lots of guidance from this forum I vote 2 - 4 weeks based on the calculations given. 

-Prasad
Never be afraid to try something new
Remember - An amateur built the Ark and Professionals built the Titanic
My Instagram

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 09:45:19 PM »
I'm with you guys. :) For good projects, I use a fresh nib and break it in with a warm up. But for regular practice, I wear them down hard (at least 3-4 weeks, sometimes longer). While it does catch more, I use that to train myself on proper pressure control. I usually catch if I'm getting carried away and going too fast. I see those skip hot spots (the upward stroke of the captical S's lower spiral gets me almost every time) as weak points that require more focus.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 09:48:39 PM by Starlee »
Star

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 01:32:28 AM »
It was my first attempt at pointed pen calligraphy and armed with some artwork from the IAMPETH site and a Gillot 303 I thought I was E.A.Lupfer. 
-Prasad

Prasad - that made me laugh!  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram