Author Topic: A still life of mine in oil - from [kind of] start to [hopefully] finish  (Read 1520 times)

Offline ultraQuiche

• View Profile
I figured I'd take a less pathetic stab at still life again. Here I hope to document the journey of this initially blank, albeit triple-primed canvas panel; I think it might be neat to share some of my work which has nothing to do with calligraphy.

In the first picture you can see a crappy acrylic stain job. I had no idea why I was staining the canvas in the beginning, aside from the fact that all the cool kids were doing it. The benefits would reveal themselves later. The first came in the form of having a waterproof layer on which I could do my sketch on with a pastel instead of charcoal, which tends to stick really bad. This allowed for plenty effortless fidgeting and redrawing. There are also my initial splotches of paint.

The second picture shows some progress. A lot more paint is in, and I'd thickened some of the existing paint and started to blend it once it had become tacky... it was fun going into a cosmetic store and asking for help to look for a makeup brush (I'm a dude).

In the third picture, very little canvas is showing. That was from tonight. Another benefit of the stain was the slight luminescence of the backdrop in the painting... if I hadn't stained it, that glow would become gross and white.

I will continue to post my progress. Any oil painters out there? What mediums do you like to use and why? Saying 'mediums' irks me, but I don't mean 'media' as the question is restricted to oil.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 12:22:48 AM by ultraQuiche »

Offline Lori M

• Calligraphy will prevail!
    • View Profile
Not an oil painter, but this is beautiful! I love seeing the stages of progress.

Offline Roseann

• View Profile
Wow!!
That's fantastic!   Good for you.
Roseann

“The world is so full of a number of things, I’m sure we should all be as happy as kings.”   R. L. Stevenson

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
This is really wonderful! Thank you for sharing! I don't have any experience with oils but am completely mesmerized with how you do that!  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline ultraQuiche

• View Profile
Thanks guys, with any luck I'll get to work on it this evening. After a while, the changes will become more and more subtle, so I'll have to post more infrequently.

Offline inkcatcher

• SIENNE
    • View Profile
Awww. That's beautiful!
I miss oil painting. I used to do it a lot but I only do plants. Haha! You're a very talented person! :)
Hi! My name is Sienne (Si-yen/ Shen).
Instagram | Website | Pen Meet Manila

Offline ultraQuiche

• View Profile
Added new progress to initial post. Covered all the canvas and added thin layers to the silver drinking vessel (glass? cup? stemless goblet?) and started painting the label. I always get my proportions a little wrong, but heck, nobody will ever see the real still life once I have finished the painting.

Hmm.. also it looks like my camera is going further and further away. I'll take one closer up next time!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 12:23:51 AM by ultraQuiche »

Offline Lori M

• Calligraphy will prevail!
    • View Profile
Great shading on the label. Yes, the painting is getting smaller and smaller...   :D