Author Topic: How can I keep vintage nibs rust free?  (Read 3064 times)

Offline melanie jane

• View Profile
    • English Pen Crafts
How can I keep vintage nibs rust free?
« on: September 28, 2015, 01:17:19 PM »
So, despite not actually having started calligraphy yet (holders and inks arriving soon  :D ), I seem to have gotten myself quite a vintage nib habit....they're just so lovely in their little vintage boxes!!

Anyway, I have a few which are showing some small bits of rust.  It's generally not enough to be a problem as it is, but I don't want it getting any worse.  Is there anything I can do, other than keep them in a very dry environment to stop the rust getting any worse?
Permanently distracted making penholders

English Pen Crafts  Instagram

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
Re: How can I keep vintage nibs rust free?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 01:23:26 PM »
Make sure to only remove the oil from the nibs one by one as you use them... don't remove the oil all at once!

I heard WD40 works, or one of those little packets of silica gel: http://www.amazon.com/Dry-Packs-Cotton-Silica-Packet-Pack/dp/B0038N30OY

I'm interested to hear more opinions though.
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline melanie jane

• View Profile
    • English Pen Crafts
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 01:30:25 PM »
Thanks, yes, I've already got some silica gel packets in with the boxes, I'm hoping that that will be enough, but if there's something else I can do, I'd rather do it than risk all of these lovely nibs.  I had wondered about WD-40, or some sort of light oil, since I understand that's what they're already coated with, but didn't want to do the wrong thing.

And, yes, I'll definitely only be cleaning/preparing them as I use them :-)

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 02:08:33 PM »
I bought some vintage nibs where the previous owner kept them in WD40.. it works well with minimal rusting, but I just hate WD40 myself.. haha

Offline melanie jane

• View Profile
    • English Pen Crafts
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 02:24:53 PM »
Thanks, that sounds like it might be a good idea, at least for the few that are showing the first signs of rust.  Do you know whether they just sprayed it lightly on the nibs, or actually keep them saturated in it?  I was thinking of spraying it on them, and then wiping any excess off with a paper towel so that they could be stored back in their original boxes.

Oh, and I like the smell of WD40  ::)

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 03:18:35 PM »
WD40 will work well - the "WD" stands for "water displacer", or so I'm led to believe.  A very thin film will do the trick.  It does seem a bit drastic to me though unless you live in a very humid area, and so long as the nibs are in a dry environment there's no reason why they should corrode.  The silica gel is no bad thing.

Incidentally, the usual protective coating on old nibs is a thin shellac lacquer.

Offline melanie jane

• View Profile
    • English Pen Crafts
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 03:29:04 PM »
Well, I did wonder whether it was a bit of overkill, but since a few have already started rusting, obviously the original oil coating isn't working as it should in a few places.  Can I be confident that as long as they stay dry and in a non-humid environment, they won't get any worse, or is the rust now likely to spread regardless?

Interesting about the shellac coating, I guess that's more of a wax than an oil - hence why they never feel oily to the touch.

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 04:19:56 PM »
Shellac is a resin, or if Wikipedia is to be believed a "natural bioadhesive polymer" ... and more than that you probably don't want to know.  ;)

If the rust is red, it's active - but that would be unusual.  More likely it's black and won't spread any further so long as the nibs are kept dry, but if you're worried you may as well use the WD40.  If you were to spread them out on a paper towel, give them the briefest of blasts with the WD40 and jostle them about a bit in the paper, that ought to do the job nicely.  Some sort of alcohol based solvent will get rid of it when you come to use the pens.

Offline melanie jane

• View Profile
    • English Pen Crafts
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 04:30:14 PM »
Great, thanks - that's very useful to know regarding the red/black rust - mine is black so, fingers crossed, I'm OK.

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 11:33:56 PM »
The previous owner soaked it in WD40.. it worked pretty well, but some nibs had a little rust. But since it was so old the WD40 turned yellowish with the nibs.. ick..

Offline melanie jane

• View Profile
    • English Pen Crafts
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 06:26:34 AM »
Hmmm, that does sound a bit yuk!  I would have thought a light spraying would have been enough!

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2015, 04:03:04 PM »
WD40 is not a rust inhibitor except insofar as it displaces the water (Water Displacer #40)

If you want to actually inhibit rust, a light, non-polymerizing oil works well. Most machine oil or gun oil is similar. Or for the classy stuff (and of course our nibs deserve the classy treatment), use camellia oil. It's been used by Japanese woodworkers as a hair oil as well as to protect their high-carbon (read, easily rusted) steel tools for a long time. (and makes your hair smell nice too, so I hear)

Here's a source that's very trustworthy. You might find it somewhere else, but I do know Joel sells the stuff that's good for protecting steel tools.
https://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/store/item/EE-785-CO9.XX/Camellia_Oil

I'm not sure how effective alcohol would be in removing this oil. I'd wash just the ones you need in soap and water and dry thoroughly. This should also help to remove the old coating as well.

The best thing is to just keep your nibs in a cool, dry environment. Sealing in ziplock bags can work, but can also trap moisture. A little ventilation is not a bad thing. The old paper boxes didn't do too poorly if they were kept in a dry environment. As soon as they are tossed into an attic or basement all bets are off. Now, if you live in a tropical environment, or by the sea, then I'd be more aggressive and go for the desiccant.
Check out my steel pen history blog
https://thesteelpen.com/

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2015, 04:51:49 PM »
Camellia oil would be nice; however WD40 is a rust inhibitor, or else they're breaking trade description legislation.

Again, I don't really see much need for any additional protection given a nice dry place to keep them, as Andrew says.

Offline Cyril Jayant

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/jaycyril
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2021, 08:33:30 AM »
I found this old thread while I was looking for a solution to save some rusty Dip pen nibs
This time it is a question regarding removing rust.

"How to restore rusty Vintage nibs." :-\

I have a whole bunch of nibs they are worth restoring.
Few Gillotte nibs and French Blanzy and Bagnol pens. I  have already tried a batch with white vinegar. They were not so bad but it seems this process needs time and have to leave the nibs for hours or overnight in the soak.
I am thinking of using wire-wool mesh, an occasional gentle use of nail file sand paper could give a bit more help to take off the century old rusty layers. :o
Any ideas or a methods helped you in your experience in this matter,  I like to hear about will help someone like me to save a life of the century old pen again.
Thank you. ;D

Offline InkyFingers

• All creations not equal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2021, 08:19:49 PM »
The ultimate way to remove rust is via electrolysis.