Author Topic: Is a lightbox worth it?  (Read 1813 times)

Offline Wonderer

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Is a lightbox worth it?
« on: January 21, 2019, 04:01:27 PM »
Hi all, recently I'm thinking about getting a lightbox because I'm entering a calligraphy contest in my neighborhood, and printing guidelines is not allowed. I'm merely a beginner hobbyist so I'm not sure if this $20 will be worth it as I don't see myself using it in the near future. Does anyone have any insights to share? Did you like your lightbox? Do you think it's worth the money?
Thank you!

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
Re: Is a lightbox worth it?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 04:36:34 PM »
If you're not going to use the lightbox after the contest, and you are able to draw guidelines that can be erased when the project is done, I'd say it's not worth buying it.  My guess is that as you do more projects, you'll find a need for a lightbox, and $20 isn't much to pay as long as it gets used.  There is at least one thread on here with recommendations and pros/cons on a few models which might be worth reading before you buy one.  But, skip it for now if you're truly not going to use it.

Offline RD5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 06:10:45 AM »
You must live in some neighborhood, if they have calligraphy contests, especially if said contests are serious enough that they ban things like guidelines.

That said, why would guidelines not be allowed, but lightboxs are?

Offline Inked botanicals

• View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 06:54:47 AM »
You must live in some neighborhood, if they have calligraphy contests, especially if said contests are serious enough that they ban things like guidelines.

My thoughts exactly!

I would say my Lightbox was one of the things I ended up using way more than I though. At first it was something I did not think as necessary, pencil lines and then erase was good enough for me. But my boyfriend found an offer and purchased one for me. And it was a game changer! I now use it for almost everything. I just have a set of guidelines in different sizes printed and use them with my Lightbox for even a simple thank you note. My mother and sister keep asking me for "pretty birthday notes" to accompany their gifts to friends and the most I have accomplished for the "please ask me with enough time" is like 2 hours in advanced. So most of the times, I take out my Lightbox, write them a quick card in some free minutes of my time, let it out to dry and forget about it. Then they just take it just before leaving for the gift-giving, already dry and nothing else for me to do! For me, it makes calligraphy really easy and fast!

That said, I would say also that if you are really sure you would only use it for that contest and then it is going to get forgotten and not used, maybe it is not worth it. $20 is not much, but it can be better spent in something more useful for you.

And good luck for that contest!!!
Alba.

Instagram: @inked_botanicals

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 09:22:33 AM »
Bianca’s response is very reasonable and I concur with her thoughts. I have to agree with Alba though - I can’t live without my light box. I hate drafting guidelines and erasing though. But also, I do calligraphy for a living so I use it all of the time.

Good luck! I hope you will share your entry!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 12:57:23 PM »

Ah, I read the original post to mean that guidelines can't be printed/shown on the final project, but if that's not the case, then this is a good question indeed!

Offline Wonderer

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 01:16:54 PM »

This contest is online, entrants have to mail their works. As for the reason, they don't exactly ban guidelines (sorry for my wording earlier), but they don't prefer it. The administrator said that printed guidelines affect the overall evaluation but as long as they don't see it on the paper, it's fine.

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 05:35:37 PM »
I hate guidelines. I am terrible at not using them...and it shows in the wobbles in my lines. But most of the time, I am practicing and I do not care. Light box is not worth it then. But, on the projects where I care enough about positioning, I do like to bring out my light table, if nothing else to have the baselines underneath so I do not have to erase later. It is also helpful to have a skeleton of the words laid down so that you can then try different flourishes etc over top.
Star

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 10:29:05 AM »
I have no problem with guidelines and I use them constantly with my lightbox.  I see no virtue in constantly creating and rubbing out pencil guidelines and like others I have a collection of various widths and angles printed off.

BTW there are some early examples of formal writing which is produced between parallel horizontal lines. The lines serve to keep the writing straight and don't impede the lettering in any way. There was obviously no attempt to remove the lines later and they became part of he overall design.