Author Topic: Copperplate Minuscules - Group 3  (Read 21836 times)

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
Re: Copperplate Minuscules - Group 3
« Reply #105 on: December 15, 2018, 12:41:28 PM »
Thank you, Salman! I'll keep working on refining those problem areas, and I'm so grateful to you for pointing them out. It helps me to focus, especially when I see so many glaring problems and don't know where to start in fixing them. You've helped immensely!

And now, for today's sharing, and a funny thing that happened on the way to the doctor's office. See my attachment!

Awesome story Debi - one could have worse things on one's mind :-)

Your lettering is very nice. You have achieved good control of all the strokes up to this point. There is one minor refinement I would suggest at this time. I see a tendency to make the transitions (from hairline to full shade and back to hairline) on the 'o' stroke to be a bit abrupt. The same thing has started to happen with the compound stroke. A slightly more gradual transition would make the script even more attractive IMO.

- Salman
I have an opinion and I'm not afraid to use it.

Copperplate Tutorial :: Toronto Pen Company

Offline NevadaDeb

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 15, 2018, 02:57:17 PM »
Hi Salman,

Oh, yes! I now see those abrupt shade to hairline transitions as VERY problematic, and they are now glaring at me. I will work on those from this point on. Thank you so much for pointing that out!

And one more true story. Years ago, I was picking up a friend at the airport, who came in on a red-eye flight. It was about 3 am when we were on a pretty much deserted Detroit freeway, when I spied a billboard with John Stevens calligraphy on it. Of course, I quickly glanced in my rear view mirror, and seeing no lights behind me, I abruptly stopped the car right there in the lane to swoon over the lettering. My horrified friend screeched, “Debi, you just stopped in the middle of the freeway to look at a sign?!”  Well, of course I did. It would have even been worth a traffic ticket. I mean, John Stevens! Hahh!

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #107 on: December 17, 2018, 05:40:15 PM »
What a story Debi. I might have done the same - only a calligrapher knows how the heart skips a beat on spotting good lettering. This story would be a great addition to the thread 'You know you are a Calligrapher when....'

Thank you for sharing that - it made my day.

Offline NevadaDeb

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 29, 2018, 08:57:11 PM »
Hi Salman!

I have not had as much time to practice as I normally do, due to the holidays. I can see I'm a bit shaky. Spacing between the letters is not as consistent as it has been, but I'm working on refining those transitions from shade to hairline. At times, I think I'm standing still, not making progress. So I go back to Group 1 and look at my first posts, and can see I really AM making progress, albeit slowly. Still enjoying the journey enormously! Just a bit frustrated that the holidays have chopped into my practice time. I keep reminding myself, "Patience. In time, the grass becomes milk."

Offline NevadaDeb

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 30, 2018, 05:12:36 AM »
Yipes! No sleep was possible until I got back out of bed, and worked on that horrid spacing of that glaring crowded problem area between the "e" and "c." It was giving me nightmares.

I got up out of bed, practiced for an hour, and here are the results. I over-compensated a bit, but feeling better about the spacing, now that it's not so cramped as it was in my first post tonight.

Sleep is over-rated. Improving letterforms is not.  ;)

Offline NevadaDeb

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 31, 2018, 05:45:24 AM »
Okay, last post of the year. I am still working on the transitions from shade to hairline, but I think they are getting much better, and increasing in consistency.

In my last posted practice, I concentrated on those pesky transitions that eluded me, and lost my shade.

So today, I've started adding back the shade again, as I'm feeling more confident with the consistency of better elements increasing in those noted problem areas.

I feel good about where I am on this last day of 2018. I can see I AM making progress!

Happy New Year, Salman! And thank you for making 2018 so incredibly satisfying for me, by guiding me so patiently through the basic steps of dancing with a pointed pen.

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #111 on: January 02, 2019, 02:13:45 PM »
@NevadaDeb

A very happy new year to you too Debi. There is visible progress in the last 3 uploads. The 'c' in the very last 'ce' is just perfect.

A couple of things to look at:

- The eye of the 'e' should be a bit bigger - lose the shade in it for now. The 'c' in the last 'ce' would make an excellent 'e'. We should be able to see the almond shaped counter a bit more clearly.

- The shades are coming in a bit too abruptly at the base line i.e. the transition to a hairline starts in the last 1/4 of the stroke rather than 1/3rd.

- Salman

Offline NevadaDeb

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 07, 2019, 11:26:58 AM »
Hi Salman,

Thank you so much for the very helpful critique. These refinements were challenging for me, and I admit I did struggle trying to retrain my hand. I did many full arm movement exercises to try to loosen up, so I wouldn't automatically grip the pen and start and end those shades so abruptly. While I certainly haven't mastered it, I do see some improvement and I continue to work on this daily, along with opening up the eye of the "e" more. Bad habits quickly set it, so working on these now and trying to gain some control and consistency is extremely helpful. I really appreciate your pointing them out, and urging me to work on them now, not later. I've attached today's effort.

Offline NevadaDeb

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 08, 2019, 04:18:17 PM »
Ahhh, each day I'm now seeing tiny bits of progress in the transitions of Hairline to Shade, and Shade to Hairline. This is one of the most challenging things I've had to try to "Fix" so far. I'm starting to get it now.

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #114 on: January 14, 2019, 03:39:58 PM »
@NevadaDeb

This looks really good Debi. The spacing and consistency in 'gauge' is particularly nice. Just let the loop of the 'g' come up a bit higher so the exit hairline can start at the base line. Other than that, things look good. Please move on to the next group.

- Salman

Offline NevadaDeb

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 15, 2019, 07:25:53 AM »
Thank you so much, Salman. I can see that my letters are still a bit too curved, and thus too wide, but I’m working on that as well, and will continue to work on this group diligently as I begin my journey into Group 4. Thank you again for your wise counsel!

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #116 on: January 15, 2019, 12:28:55 PM »
@NevadaDeb

You are right about further improvement but these things can be worked on and apply to the other groups as well. You will continue to improve across the board. At this point, I don't think there is much value in sticking to this group any longer - you have a good understanding of the structure and can execute it well.

Looking forward to your work on the misfits.

- Salman