Author Topic: Hello from Essex UK  (Read 916 times)

Offline GrowlingDog

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Hello from Essex UK
« on: July 21, 2019, 06:06:04 PM »
Hi, I’ve just joined, a bit of a noob and don’t know much yet.

I find myself in a position where I often fill out legal certificates, Marriage certificates mainly, but also various other registers.

My handwriting is quite good as I was taught well, but I would like to be able to write such that it looks impressive, I think that’s important on Wedding certificates.

I’ve bought a book, bought some pens, the wrong ones,  started reading the book, then ordered the correct pens and ink.

Once I start producing something beyond a straight line I will post up and ask for critique.

I’m sure I will ask lots of stupid questions as I go along, I apologise in advance.

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
Re: Hello from Essex UK
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 11:09:50 PM »
Welcome to the forum!  Thank goodness for books, and places where you can ask questions... and get answers! ;)

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 07:42:22 AM »
@GrowlingDog Hi, and welcome!!  We were ALL newbies at one point, so don't worry about your current expertise!  ;D  I'm so glad that you want to learn calligraphy to make marriage licenses beautiful!  I'm a lawyer & I calligraph clients' names on the "holders" that house their wills, deeds, and other important legal documents.  The clients and court clerks love the custom! 

What book are you studying?  Are you interested in broad edge calligraphy or pointed pen?  We're all here to offer advice, so please let us help you!

Welcome to the Forum!

Janis

Offline GrowlingDog

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 08:04:17 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for the welcome.

For now I am looking at pointed pen and hoping to learn Copperplate, following Eleanor Winters Mastering Copperplate book.   That to me looks to be a good place to start, and isn't that far away from my standard handwriting so I am hoping I should be able to adapt to it quite quickly.

Who knows where that might lead to, I do tend to get obsessed in things when they interest me.

Steve

Offline KacyBG

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 05:50:38 PM »
GrowlingDog, welcome and enjoy Copperplate! I've been practicing for almost seven full months now and enjoying it---hope you're having a great time. The straight lines ARE a challenge.  :)

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2019, 07:30:09 AM »
@GrowlingDog I learned Copperplate from Eleanor Winters' excellent book!  I started at the front of the book & worked my way to the back, using it like a text book in school.  You can absolutely master Copperplate using that book!  I prefer the Brause EF66 nib?  Have you tried that?  I found it to be very responsive.  Please let me know if I can help you in any way!  Good luck to you!

Janis

Offline GrowlingDog

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2019, 10:54:06 AM »
My selection of nibs arrived today, along with a bottle of Higgins Eternal Ink.

I decided to download and Print Erica's Lesson 1, as it seems as though these might be a good way to learn.   You Tube videos are good for me as I do struggle to concentrate for long when reading a book.

Lesson 1.     When you open the ink do so carefully as peeling the seal off makes a mess if like me you are not careful.

I can draw some long straight lines, the paper I have is not suitable for ink pens, it is scratchy and bleeds lots.   I have ordered some new paper so I will contnue Lesson 1 when that arrives.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2019, 10:20:57 AM »
Welcome @GrowlingDog ! I was on vacation so I apologize for the late welcome! I hope you have been enjoying your new studies. It can be frustrating at first but then becomes addictive. Let us know if you have questions as you go. I love your reasons for wanting to learn.  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram