Author Topic: New Nikko G nib ?????  (Read 682 times)

Offline darrin1200

• View Profile
    • Timber Elegance Pens
New Nikko G nib ?????
« on: May 04, 2019, 02:44:38 PM »
As some know, my mainstay is making custom pens. I was poking around one of my parts suppliers and found a nib that is called a Nikko-G, but it looks nothing like any G nib I have seen. I sent a message, asking who the manufacturer is, but I was also wondering if anyone here has seen it?

Darrin McArthur
Timber Elegance ~ Handcrafted Writing Instruments

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: New Nikko G nib ?????
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 03:33:17 PM »
Huh! Interesting...they look a lot like my old favorites the Hiro 41s. But those encountered an annoying issue with the coating which made them impossible to use.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 05:31:25 PM »
Looking at the way they list nibs on their website (like, calling a Brause 66EF an "arrow nib" and not mentioning the manufacturer or model/number), I'm wondering if it's just mislabeled.  I don't know why a company would give the same name to a totally different nib, but it is a crazy world we live in. ;)

Offline darrin1200

• View Profile
    • Timber Elegance Pens
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 06:39:46 PM »
I got an email back. These are from a company called Penn State Industries. They are one of the main kit pen suppliers in North America. They were sold as replacement nibs for a dip pen kit, which has since been discontinued. They get a lot of their kits and parts manufactured overseas. I suspect that whoever designed the kit was not knowledgeable about dip pens and assumed Nikki G was just a name for the nib, similar to Iridium Point Germany on fountain pen nibs. Most of the makers that purchase these “kits” are also ignorant of the end usage. There goal is to make a pretty product to sell at a craft show.

I couldn’t find these nibs anywhere else, so I would suspect that this is the end stock of a discontinued product. So I don’t think it’s worth it for me to order any.

Thanks
Darrin McArthur
Timber Elegance ~ Handcrafted Writing Instruments