Author Topic: it's a small small world...  (Read 1767 times)

Offline joi

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • www.bienfaitcalligraphy.com
it's a small small world...
« on: March 20, 2014, 09:55:28 AM »
so this is a funny and long one so pull up a chair and a cup of coffee/tea/glass of wine folks...

so i have a couple of hand lettered envelopes to mail, and i'm out of stamps.  i head over to the post office and see the very long line, with only one window open, and i head to the kiosk.  super fast and easy.  except that the kiosk prints my receipt but does not spit out my stamps.  crap!  do i try it again, only to have to pay again without getting my postage?  or do i stand in the line?  grrrr...stand in line it is.  i'm like 6 people deep and there are already 3 more customers behind me, so i guess i'm all in...

in front of me is a woman and her mother, holding an wedding invitation suite and a guest list.  awww, a bride and her mother.  doing the weighing of the envelope ritual.  the bride looks vaguely familiar to me but i can't place her.  as i'm holding my envelopes i decided to hold them just so, maybe catching their attention, hopefully they will remark about the calligraphy and maybe i can do a pro bono job to get some more practice (ellen i was thinking of you here...!).  so yes indeed, the envelopes catch the mother's attention and she remarks about how pretty they are, that they are there to weigh her daughters wedding invitation, and how long this line is...and then i catch a glimpse of the wedding invite...daughters name and groom (not listing their names to protect the innocent lol!)...and then it hits me...OMG the bride is my husbands ex-girlfriend, like THE ex-girlfriend that dumped him, shattered his world, he laid up on a friends couch for a couple of months, went to therapy...THAT ex-girlfriend.  and her mother, the woman that told my husband that he would never be good enough for her daughter...she is talking to me about calligraphy...and all i can think is ABORT ABORT ABORT!!!  and now ex-girlfriend looks at me...omg does she know who i am???  ABORT ABORT ABORT!!!

and she says to her mother "c'mon we will do this another time i have to get to work..." and the mom looks all surprised and they leave. 
OMG i was trying to get my husbands ex-girlfriend to have me hand letter her envelopes OMG!!!!!
and the moral of the story is...ya never know who you will bump into at the post office!

too bad it's way to early for a glass of wine!  i would have loved to hear the conversation when they left! "Mom that was Dave's WIFE!!!"...omg!!!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 10:48:13 AM by joi »

Offline Lori M

• Calligraphy will prevail!
    • View Profile
Re: it's a small small world...
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 07:38:08 PM »
Oh my -- as my teen would say, "Awkward"! It sure makes a great story though. You described it so well, I felt like I was there!

Offline Roseann

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 12:06:34 AM »
Hilarious! !!
It really is a small world! !
Roseann

“The world is so full of a number of things, I’m sure we should all be as happy as kings.”   R. L. Stevenson

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 12:11:23 AM »
Oh my word! Run away! Your story telling was hilarious!  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 09:00:26 AM »
It's possible that in a movie I wouldn't have believed it ;D!! As some wise person said once: bad experiences make for good stories …
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline joi

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • www.bienfaitcalligraphy.com
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 09:19:31 AM »
i still cannot believe that happened!  i mean what are the chances?!
my husband said i should have introduced myself, showed her pic of our kids, etc...i was like are you CRAZY?!  dude, remember SHE dumped YOU.  and her groom is the guy she dumped my hubs for...which was 10 years ago!

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 11:10:15 AM »
LOL! I'm with your husband on this one! I would have come up with some way to work into the conversation something about my awesome husband and our darling children. Well, at least in the movie-version that would have played in mind every few minutes for the next couple of hours after walking away without saying anything!  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram