Author Topic: so my first holder, what should I get less than ~$35?  (Read 3046 times)

Offline mescalito2

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
so my first holder, what should I get less than ~$35?
« on: May 12, 2015, 11:11:27 AM »
Hi ladies (and some gentlemen)  ::) ::) ;D

I am looking to buy my first pen holder but I can't decide what is better. So far I have used the very narrow "Speedball Oblique Pen Point Holder", but the more I use it the more my grip get tire.

So! I have found some good candidates but I don't know what is better, maybe you can give me some advice on that.

Long Oblique Holder 8"? good or bad? why?
http://www.paperinkarts.com/znrlng.html

Short Oblique Holder 5 1/2"? good or bad? why?
http://www.paperinkarts.com/znrsht.html

Chunkier Oblique Holder? good or bad? why?
http://www.paperinkarts.com/carobl.html

Those are just some examples. Also that was the first website I found, is any other better?

My budget is no more than ~$35

Thanks for your time,
Any advice is welcome!
Thanks!
Nico

Offline Fay

• Freshman Member
  • Start: January 2015
    • View Profile
Re: so my first holder, what should I get less than ~$35?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 02:50:38 PM »
Hey Nico,

I would think the two main online calligraphy suppliers for many is Paperinkarts or John Neal Bookseller (www.johnnealbooks.com). All I know is the size of your hand is also a factor in determining the best length or width of the oblique holders.

If you have about $7-8 more to spare, The Hourglass Adjustable Oblique is said to be "the finest production pen holder available today" by both Dr. Joe Vitolo and Chris from Yoke Pen Co. Here's the link: http://www.paperinkarts.com/hourgl.html

Joi also recommended it as a good upgrade from the speedball oblique holder before going into custom-made holders.

Hope that helps!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 03:23:01 PM by Fay »
Instagram: @faylligraphy

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 03:09:28 PM »
I wouldn't venture to point you towards a particular holder, Nico, but here are a few general comments.

The basic Speedball holder has a couple of disadvantages to be sure, but I've never considered it uncomfortable.  Rather the reverse in fact.  The shape seems to be conservatively based on old designs, and I doubt that changing to a different holder will make a great deal of difference to the tired hands problem.  Sure you're not gripping it too tightly?

One thing which might make a difference is a chunkier holder like the Carrot: I'm not personally convinced but there's a good deal of anecdotal evidence that fat pens help arthritis sufferers so maybe there's something in it.  You may care to take a look at the Selecting a holder page at Yoke Pens.

The main difference between long and short holders is that the former are more susceptible to accidental damage in my opinion.  Obviously if a long tail is out of balance that's a problem, but it's unlikely that'll be the case.  I made myself a 12" holder a while ago expecting to either love or loathe it, but it's much the same as any other in terms of handling, and it isn't even distracting.  So you may as well go with whichever appeals more.

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 02:00:17 AM »
The basic Speedball holder has a couple of disadvantages to be sure, but I've never considered it uncomfortable.  Rather the reverse in fact.  The shape seems to be conservatively based on old designs, and I doubt that changing to a different holder will make a great deal of difference to the tired hands problem.  Sure you're not gripping it too tightly?
The speedball one is really, really uncomfortable for me because the plastic flange doesn't move at all and can't be adjusted at all. That's what makes the difference imho, not the form.
Natascha
My Instagram

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 07:58:49 AM »
Yep, that comes under the other disadvantages, along with the limited variety of nibs the flange will take.  Can't say that it causes me discomfort, but it's definitely a drawback.

Offline ivymai

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 02:42:55 AM »
I prefer longer holders (was initially worried 8" would be too long), but I have the zanerian 8" oblique and I like it! Prefer using it to my speedball! But that might just be because it is nicer.
Definitely interested in the Hourglass Adjustable Oblique and how that holds.

But hey your hand will fatigue! Muscles will develop but I find my death grip makes my hand sore no matter what pen!