Author Topic: Calligraphy confessions  (Read 59900 times)

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Re: Calligraphy confessions
« Reply #225 on: February 14, 2017, 09:51:18 AM »
You can do a lot of research on a small collection for free. The American Stationer is the go-to source for much about early pens, stationery and other geeky stuff like that.
http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/012305596

The Esterbrook Project is a wonderful source for all things about Esterbrook pens. http://theesterbrookproject.com/SITE%20DOCS/NIB%20LIST.html
Phil, who has created this page, is a wonderful and generous guy who loves to share with others who also love the Esterbrook steel pens.
Yes, indeed. His site is the most comprehensive I've seen regards Esterbrook nibs. I've had the pleasure of sending him a few he didn't have (as you probably have, Andrew), and he is most appreciative. Terrific project.
And, unlike the high-end Principalities and other specialty nibs, most vintage nibs are relatively inexpensive if you can be patient and keep your eyes open. Just don't fall for the first $60 box of Esterbrook 048 Falcons you see.
True. Just because it's old, doesn't make it suitable to what you're trying to do. Buying odd lots of mixed nibs is a good, inexpensive way to try out new nibs in the hope of finding one that is not widely known and priced ridiculously. And there is always the chance of getting a gem or two.

Offline sheila247

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 14, 2017, 10:07:47 AM »
Thank you Andrew and Michael!  Hmmmm, practice or history lesson on nibs?????  Since I have a Copperplate class at the Vo-Tech tonight, I should probably practice today and read tomorrow.   :-)   So much to learn.

Which brings me to my next confession.   I want to learn everything!!!  I just finished Harvest's online Spencerian class, am taking a 6 week Copperplate class in person, am going to International, will be going to workshops with Linda Schneider, Doug Boyd, Carol Pallesen, Peter Thorton, and am enrolled in the Modern Calligraphy Summit 2.0 - and that is just for this year!  I think I forgot to schedule time to implement the skills I am learning between classes.   The more I learn the more my passion for this grows - I am not worried about burning out - but I am concerned that I will be more of a jack of all trades and will not Master anything.   Maybe, I will take next year off of most training (maybe just go to IAMPETH) and spend the time putting what I will have learned in practice and concentrate on growing my business and growing my skill. 

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #227 on: February 14, 2017, 12:49:03 PM »
<snip> but I am concerned that I will be more of a jack of all trades and will not Master anything.   Maybe, I will take next year off of most training (maybe just go to IAMPETH) and spend the time putting what I will have learned in practice and concentrate on growing my business and growing my skill.

IMHO there is no problem with taking lots of different classes early on. You have no way of knowing which one will be the one you want to master until you have tried them all. Plus, if you want to grow a business, it helps to offer a wide range of styles. I've had about two requests for blackletter - in 15 years - but I was glad I had taken at least one class. I avoided Spencerian for a long time because I didn't care for the looks, but then it turned out to be a favorite.

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 22, 2017, 10:35:49 AM »
Quote from: jeanwilson link=topic=1306.msg68221#msg68221  I avoided Spencerian for a long time because I didn't care for the looks, but then it turned out to be a favorite.
[/quote
I can write Spencerian but I don't particularly like it. Fortunately, it is relatively unknown in the UK, and I avoid having to write it in my business by not offering it as an alternative.  ;D

Offline GabrielaLintang

• Freshman Member
  • 😄
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 22, 2017, 11:04:12 AM »
Hi there! So this is my another calligraphy confession ( though it may seem not following the current topic in this thread)
So recently i bought 4 604s for 100usd and 15 esterbrook 357 for 75usd and 9 spencerian 1 for 75usd. After buying them, sometimes i feel regret cause it's expensive (very) than the reliable Leonard principal. But sometimes i wonder how they would feel like. Curiosity killed me and i went into binge shoppping yesterday 😂. Now i'm waiting for them to arrive.
So that's it my confession today. 🙇
Cheers,

Gabriela 😊😊

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #230 on: February 22, 2017, 12:54:00 PM »
It is understandable.. I have paid a lot of money for supplies as well. I mean you're gonna use it anyway and it is for pleasure. And tax deductible at least! Let us know which you like best.
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline GabrielaLintang

• Freshman Member
  • 😄
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 23, 2017, 12:22:42 AM »
It is understandable.. I have paid a lot of money for supplies as well. I mean you're gonna use it anyway and it is for pleasure. And tax deductible at least! Let us know which you like best.
Thankyou for reliving me of my regrets Schin 😁. I will let you know once the nibs has arrived.
Ps. This feel more like a confession in a church lol 😂
Cheers,

Gabriela 😊😊

Offline Gibby

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: March 09, 2017, 01:25:43 PM »
It had been a long night of calligraphy, one of those rare school nights where things were actually working and I didn't dare stop for fear that the ink gods would frown at the weakness of mortals - even though the morning alarm would wait for no one, mortal or otherwise. As dawn quickly approached I cleaned my nibs and other bits and bobs at the bathroom sink, then went to bed for what would in essence be a power nap.

In the morning there is a large silver tube of white gouache set startlingly close to a large silver tube of toothpaste... and there is a sleep-deprived me getting ready in a haze.

Thankfully gouache doesn't smell minty, but the toothbrush has been demoted to "for cleaning grout purposes only".

I have since realized that the ink gods have a funny sense of humor. :)

Offline Elizgadus59

• I LOVE LETTERS!!!
    • View Profile
    • Elizscriptscalligraphy
« Reply #233 on: April 25, 2017, 02:21:32 AM »
Ok, prime example.... I dumped a bottle of ink all over my table and then in retrieving that I dumped a whole new bottle of Gum Arabic.  I like cats but love dogs. Birds and fish do nothing for me.

I listen to Basa Nova when I work and often stick my nib and or paintbrush in my cup of coffee, tea... etc.

I give the finger to nasty clients ( when they aren't looking)

My studio always looks like a tornado  hit it.  And I HATE working with the mothers of the brides.

amen.

Offline Elizher Luz

• Freshman Member
  • Onward & Upward
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 31, 2017, 12:44:27 AM »
Haha, this is so funny, i think I'll throw in my two cents (even though I'm a bit late lol)

1.Spit. Cleans. Nibs.

2. I lose about half the nibs i buy because of my disorganization (weaps under a rock)

3. I dump ink and premade gouache too many times that i dunt care to count.

4. Calligraphy is expensive and literally all money that does not have to go to food or something important is immediately diverted to the Art Fund ^tm.

5. Horrible posture (so bad, but it's the only way for me lol  :'( )

Offline InkyFingers

• All creations not equal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 06, 2017, 12:35:57 PM »
You know you should always keep a spare key nib.

ash0kgiri

« Reply #236 on: November 20, 2017, 05:29:26 AM »
Now show us the spare holder @InkyFingers :D :D

Offline Ensemble88

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 19, 2019, 11:23:54 AM »
Ok, so I am a newbie but have a few confessions already...

1. I am practicing/learning spencerian with a pilot g2 roller ball instead of a dip pen or fountain pen, even though I own both...and 3 oblique pen holders, 3 different inks, and Nikko G's which I haven't yet used...I guess I'm worried about having to incorporate pressure sensitivity and shading while trying to learn cursive for basically the first time since 3rd grade. I tried it on deployment and the rocking of the ship made for disasterous results...

2. I'm afraid the post office won't be able to read my addresses so I do the name as pretty as I can and the rest of it in military "recruit handwriting" capital block letters so I know it won't get delivered to the wrong address.  :P

3. My posture is horrible, I have a place to sit properly but it's my cat's favorite chair and he's too cute for me to kick off. Ever. So I hunch over the coffee table and count down the days until my next chiropractor appointment...lol.

4. I ordered the same how to write spencerian book twice because I forgot I had ordered it and was too impatient for it to arrive. I now have 3 books, and have barely started the first one.

5. I thought eleanor winter's book on copperplate was really dry, but P.R. Spencer's writing very interesting... :o

6. I'm really only learning so I can write love letters to my wife when I deploy again in August.  :-*

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 23, 2019, 07:39:59 AM »

4. I ordered the same how to write spencerian book twice because I forgot I had ordered it and was too impatient for it to arrive. I now have 3 books, and have barely started the first one.

5. I thought eleanor winter's book on copperplate was really dry, but P.R. Spencer's writing very interesting... :o

Ditto to both of these!  ;D

6. I'm really only learning so I can write love letters to my wife when I deploy again in August.  :-*

Best reason ever to learn calligraphy!  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Cyril Jayant

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/jaycyril
« Reply #239 on: April 09, 2022, 01:14:03 PM »
I have lot of ink marks on my Bed sheets and every time I wash my bed sheets I see new ink marks.
( Yes my writing table is taken up by lot of stuffs. Next to my table is my bed. So some times I use the bed as my writing table. I have very bad habits of seating and doing CALLIGRAPHY with bad body posture ) It is sometimes unavoidable for me as for when I start doing some writing sessions I have to use a special folding table for writing. It seems to me to use this table  a ritual and I am lazy to do it. So my bed get involved for this writings. So If I use to host any open ink bottles  on the bed Imagine how your bed sheets would be !!!!! )
I am in London Town. And it is very famous for BOX LIVES!!!! It is not a secret though!!! :P