General Categories > Broad Edge Pen Calligraphy

How to get started learning Uncial broad edge pen calligraphy?

(1/3) > >>

VictoriaP:
Hi everyone!

I really like uncial script and would like to start learning it, but I don't know where to begin. I don't know much about broad edge pen calligraphy, so I was wondering if anyone could help me out  :)
Is there a certain style I should start with first, and then move on to uncial?
What supplies do I need?
Does it make a difference if you use parallel pens, or broad edge nibs?
Is there any specific books I should use to learn, or can I just use alphabets I find online?
If anyone has any tips or recommendations for me please let me know!

Thanks,
Victoria

Tasmith:
A great resource is Margaret Shepherd's books: http://margaretshepherd.com/bk_learn.html

Margaret's book on Amazon:

Tasmith:
Recently bought this book by Vivien Lunniss which is very good.  Has links to her online lessons.

Erica McPhee:
I love Margaret Shepherd as she was one of the first books I learned from and she referred me one of my first wedding clients when I went full time in 2001.

I would also recommend Beginner's Guild to Calligraphy by Janet Mehigan and Mary Noble. I like this book because they really start at the basics and there are plenty of photographs to show you exactly how to make each stroke. It is one of the most thorough beginner's books I have seen.

Jennifer J:
I have recently started learning broad edge calligraphy using Sheila Waters' book, Foundations of Calligraphy, and have found it really helpful! I am using it to learn Foundational Hand but she has examples of many other scripts as well. I think if you are drawn to uncial then that is a good place to start! I know that I wouldn't want to put the time in to practice at first if I didn't really like the look of what I was aiming for. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Okay, so Erica just posted... I would totally listen to her over me!  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version