Author Topic: Hi from Grimsby, Ontario  (Read 770 times)

Offline Inkymcquill

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Hi from Grimsby, Ontario
« on: January 22, 2018, 10:48:33 AM »
Iím retired and new to this lovely craft of calligraphy. Always wanted to try it and am now totally captivated!  I have taken some classes in Blackletter and Italic and am now studying Copperplate from Eleanor Winterís book as well as enjoying practicing the lovely pointed pen Uncial.
Really excited to joining this forum and learning from so many experienced calligraphers.   I use a straight pen-holder as Iím comfortable with it, so I may be a bit of an oddity there.    Thatís about it really!

Offline cejohnson

• View Profile
Re: Hi from Grimsby, Ontario
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 10:24:20 PM »
Greetings and welcome. I, too, am retired and have taken up hobbies I could not devote time to while working. Copperplate calligraphy is one of them.

I am left-handed and use a straight pen. It is more comfortable for me. I also have a copy of Eleanor Winter's book, but based on recommendations here, I also have a copy of Dick Jackson's 'Copperplate Calligraphy'. The styles are different and I personally prefer Mr. Jackson's with no disrespect to Ms. Winter.

If you have a chance, another great book is 'The Universal Penman'. This is NOT an instructional book, but provides many good lettering examples to study that were engraved by George Bickham.

Enjoy!
Cat
"The expert at anything was once a beginner." - Helen Hayes

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 06:48:00 AM »
Hello! Welcome I am not too far from you...I'm in Toronto. A few of us are. I started my calligraphy journey with that Copperplate book. Welcome to the forum!
Star

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 01:52:26 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

Offline ash0kgiri

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • joyandashcalligraphy
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 04:32:22 AM »
Warm Welcome @Inkymcquill. Hope you like it here :D
International Calligrapher & Educator
IAMPETH Certificate of Proficiency - Engrossers Script
www.joyandashcalligraphy.com  |  www.instagram.com/ash0kgiri

Offline Inkymcquill

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 08:22:21 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcomes!  I am delighted to have joined although, not being familiar with forums, I am cautiously trying to learn how to post and reply etc.    Thanks also for all the suggestions re books.  I must admit that I love books and so had already bought Eleanor Winters, Dick Jackson and the Universal penman as they seemed to be sound resources.
I am hoping that I can eventually submit some of my efforts for critique so that I can improve.

Offline Elizher Luz

• Freshman Member
  • Onward & Upward
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 05:30:01 PM »
Yayy another Ontarian - Welcome to the forum, you'll have an amazing time here! Great wealth and even greater people!