General Categories > Broad Edge Pen Calligraphy

So, I need help using my "chiseled edge" calligraphy markers.


Hey there guys and gals! I figured I'm long overdue with my yearly post, and seeing as how l managed to find a box of these chiseled set of markers, it gives me the perfect opportunity to ask you all what type of letterforms I am supposed to be creating with them. These markers, truth be told, are more or less "junk". I'm not saying that because I am at a loss as to what they are supposed to do, but I am saying this because there are plenty of other markers on the market that serve the same purpose, in a much better fashion.

I kind of expected these to be like the Kuretake oblique nib markers, but, they're not. They are also not like the Pilot Parallel markers, as the chiseled edge is cut at roughly a 45 angle. They really just fail to do any one thing great, so I'm wondering if I'm missing something. I grew up learning with "Elegant Writer" broad edge markers, and sadly, these markers are not even a close second.

So, will someone please explain to me how I should be using a broad edge marker that is cut at a 45 angle?

Erica McPhee:
Which brand are they? Chisel edged markers are usually good for practicing broad edge calligraphy like Italic, Celtic, or Gothic (Blackletter). They have to be used slowly and draw the strokes of each letter. Can you post a picture or a link to a similar one?

I'm sorry, Erica. I really thought I replied to your question last night- obviously, that is not the case. As to what brand these markers are, they are "ArtSkills." I tried italic with them, but I am so used to my Pelikan, I simply cannot get used to how these feel. They are "chunky."

Broad pen nibs are normally cut at an angle for left-handed calligraphers. Have these been cut  like this for the same reason ?


[0] Message Index

Go to full version