Author Topic: Invitations  (Read 537 times)

Offline Spireartdesign

• View Profile
Invitations
« on: December 02, 2021, 12:39:42 PM »
Hello!
I have a question about what it means to do ‘invitations’. If I am hired to do the invitations for a wedding, what exactly would I be paid to do? Would I be filling in preprinted forms? Do I make a design then print multiples then calligraph the names? Or do I do every invitation, all the written elements that go on an invitation, by hand?

Thanks so much!
I am eager to learn and understand!
Kate Spencer
Www.spireartdesign.com

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Invitations
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2021, 11:37:27 AM »
Hi Kate,
This is a great question. It varies by the artist, but I would say the majority of calligraphers that do invitations prepare a “camera ready” image that can be used to have the invitations printed. It is rare, but not unheard of, that someone would hand calligraph every single invitation. Usually the calligrapher prepares an original which is then digitized so a digital file can be sent to the printer or bride.

When I did invitations, I did the whole process, specified papers, had the invitations printed (either letterpress, thermography, or engraved), etc. and send the finished pieces to the bride. This was a lot of work and very expensive but I catered to a high end client.

Many wedding calligraphers only calligraph the envelopes (provided by the bride) and/or the place cards for the reception.

I hope that helps! Let us know if it prompts more questions.  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram