Author Topic: Day 18 - 2022: SCRAPE  (Read 605 times)

Offline Zivio

• Foment Compassion, Practice Peace
    • View Profile
Day 18 - 2022: SCRAPE
« on: October 18, 2022, 12:10:00 AM »
Going with French today.  Never paid much attention to "R" because the "standard" Spencerian is so similar to "P" and "B".  Decided to give it a shot.
Foment Compassion, Practice Peace

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Day 18 - 2022: SCRAPE
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2022, 01:16:10 PM »
I like them both! That Sandserian is looking mighty fine!  :)

For some reason, I wrote shove first instead of scrape. Isn’t that a mean word?! But I did it proper after. I tried something a little different today, too - with a watercolor paper background.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2022, 01:16:59 PM »
Also, @Zivio - the Rayer is your best work yet! Looks beautiful!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2022, 04:17:23 PM »
Just playing with inks from Inkvent 2021, Stargazer (top) and "All the Best" bottom. The top two are the same word photoed in direct and then oblique light--makes quite a difference. Same with the bottom two--they are the same word in different light. Direct on light makes these two inks look almost black, but the shine comes out when one tilts the paper. Just love these inks.

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2022, 05:55:24 PM »
Fantastic "Scrape"! @Erica McPhee - I'm a huge fan of your "Salty" S as well.  Actually, the whole "Salty" bit you did is magnificent.  It really evokes a nautical vibe in the flourishing above and below.  And this "Scrape" has a lot of wow!  I'll be studying it for a long time.

Thank you, Erica and @AnasaziWrites, for your ongoing enthusiasm for my copperplate learning curve.  Maybe my art background helps!  It has trained me to really have good fine motor control at least.  But I may have given myself a setback today, as I noticed the G404 getting scratchy and switched to the G303 - which is much softer and harder to control.  But maybe my hand is also getting steadier and my eye more accustom to the shapes, because it seemed easier to use than my last experiment with it.  Also - I'm trying it in a different holder, which seems to help with this nib.  Moral of the story for those of you following along: try different combos!  It might work out better!

Mike - I'm so happy to see more of those Invent inks!  (because I kind of feel like I put you up to getting a set last year, and am so glad that you don't seem to regret it).  Hey, nice "ji" with that sumi too!  You'll get through that ink in no time, if you keep practicing your Kanji/Hanzi.  It reminds me of my childhood - My father had me prepare the sumi ink in his studio; it had to be just so!  I had to do it for months and months before it met his standards.

@Zivio - your lovely beach Sandserian is making me a little homesick for the Pacific coast, so I drew one of my favorite shore birds with its scrape nest for this one.

Offline Lucie Y

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2022, 06:40:28 PM »
Didn't like today's word so I took one I liked instead that sounds a bit like "scrape", but tastier.
And I tried to get my r's and s's to be better balanced than yesterday.

@Zivio I love that R, never seen that type of capital R and it has a lovely movement to it.
@Erica McPhee thank you very much for your encouragement on my entry yesterday, I felt meeehh about it, but the enthusiasm I am getting here is really helping me to keep at it.
@K-2 love the delicate bird and the capital P
@AnasaziWrites oblique light! so that's how you show off the shine of the ink! my life just got easier.

Thank you all for the kind words about my daughter, she should be fine <3

See you tomorrow!

Lu
Oh crêpe!

Offline Zivio

• Foment Compassion, Practice Peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2022, 07:34:16 PM »
@Erica McPhee Wow, that capital “S” has got it all going on!  I’m actually a big fan of that shape on its top … have no idea what it’s called but it is always a “bird beak” to me because my first encounter was from a Michael Sull exercise that looked like one.  Your elements of design and flow always give a lot to study when I’m not distracted by their allure!  The Sandserian had been kind of a joke, yet it continues to instruct.  The other day I did a full page freehand writing of a word and, without thinking or planning, was surprised to see it was centered on the page with a perfectly horizontal baseline. 

@AnasaziWrites   Your offerings and all those different inks must be marvelous in real life!  And as others have commented, it is always a treat to see what you’ll come up with next.  Seeing the brushstrokes on your recent zhēn was so appealing! I only recently learned about the elements of art and design and “mark making – the interaction between the artist and the materials they are using” is an element I see on some online lists. This is something I appreciate in your art and the ensō.

@K-2  Your art is such a joy!  Happy to see the birds, and non-bird jellyfish and sea monkeys.  Great swaths of the beach here had been closed off for Snowy Plover nesting season, April 1 thru September 15. 

@Lucie Y Grateful for the regular doses of your work! Those letter shapes are so elegant, and I’m happy to have been introduced to them.  By the way, my “R” comes courtesy of Michael and Debra Sull’s Learning to Write Spencerian Script which has been informing all of the capitals I’m working on for Inktober.  Thank you for your encouragement!
Foment Compassion, Practice Peace

Offline InkyFingers

• All creations not equal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2022, 12:54:51 AM »

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2022, 10:59:03 AM »
Oh @InkyFingers  - look at that! Beautiful progress! Wow!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline InkyFingers

• All creations not equal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2022, 02:50:32 PM »
@Erica McPhee   Thank you for your kind words.  @Zivio is such an encourager!