General Categories > Broad Edge Pen Calligraphy

Writing with goopy paint - any tips?

(1/2) > >>

Moya:
I was asked to paint a logo on a bike frame for a friend today, so I had a go at it:

I was limited to what she had to work with in terms of paints, since I don't have anything enamelled or automotive-paint like, and it turned out to be an enamel paint that was so thick it could have been old nail polish - almost stringy.  We only had acrylic thinner and weren't sure it would work, and didn't want to risk the only gold paint she had handy ... so I just went ahead with the goopy.

I think it turned out okay, but it could have been much nicer (thinner lines!) if I hadn't been struggling against gooey paint.  (Don't even talk about the C-r join - ugh, I wish I could redo that, it is not at all pretty!)

Anyone have any experience with writing on curved frames, or on dealing with goopy paint?

ultraQuiche:
You know, the first thing that pops into my mind is spray paint. It couldn't be too hard to get some! Then cut a stencil from cardstock. You can fuss with the stencil until you have it perfect. Maybe do the calligraphy like normal, then use a blade to cut it out. Then place it over the frame and spray.

I know you were asking for solutions based on what you already have. The goopiest it's gotten for me has been using using crusty India ink for copperplate - not much experience to go by. Sorry!

Moya:
I did think of that, but the client (friend!) is very much into hand-doing things - she could have cut out her own stencil if she wanted based on the original logo.  Definitely something to keep in mind for future bikes though!

Erica McPhee:
I think it came out great. Unfortunately, I don't have any tips for that medium. I like the spray paint idea, too.  :)

MarkG:
Nice job, especially with a brush on such a small-radiused tube! Better than a lot of signpainters could do. I know the brush wants to 'squirt' or 'spin-out' around such a small diameter surface when you're brush lettering.

I would have done it just like you did too, instead of simply cutting a stencil, which doesn't capture the real flow and character of the brush. The average person on the street might not notice, but any decent sign guy and the more observant people who appreciate stuff like that will.

Most sign painters use One Shot lettering enamel for jobs like this, thinned and palleted to just the right 'feel', but you did fine with whatever you were using!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version