Author Topic: Share your USPS bloopers  (Read 34944 times)

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
Re: Share your USPS bloopers
« Reply #90 on: December 22, 2014, 02:12:05 PM »
I use USPS primarily, but it is because I am under the impression UPS and FEDEX are much more expensive. Is that true? The only times I sent stuff through Fedex and UPS I was aghast at the price.

OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 22, 2014, 04:56:29 PM »
...And then.  They sent them through the sorter (cancel machine thing?) anyway.  >:(

Grr.

DOH! That's awful!!!  :'(
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 22, 2014, 05:01:24 PM »
LOL -  ;D Jean sums up the entire USPS in one very accurate line:

The USPS has some lovely individuals who seem helpful, but as a group, they are not doing very well.

Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #93 on: December 22, 2014, 05:15:16 PM »
Yes, UPS and FedEx are a little more expensive.
But, I gave up on the USPS when I saw the reality of a lost order.
I was working with a letterpress printer.
She had to re print the order - and pay me to re-address.
It cost her a lot - and I could tell what an ordeal it was for her...
so, I just include the shipping cost in the original estimate.
It's easy to find the cost online.
Nobody has ever complained.
Jean
I also recommend that the client have the printer ship the envelopes
to me directly. That easier for everyone.
And, I can usually fit envelopes into a much smaller box
than the ones they arrive in - which probably saves enough that the cost
is probably comparable to the USPS.

Offline Suzie L

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 22, 2014, 05:58:19 PM »
Suzie, you may have missed this by Anasaziwrites:  http://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=1183.0  I've followed his advice especially that about putting a piece of cardboard in the envelopes.

This is a great thread with great advice and I did miss it - thank you!

Offline Amy Corrado

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 02, 2015, 01:08:00 PM »
Ugh - it's so irritating to hear about hand canceling going awry.  Every bridal magazine strongly suggests a hand cancel for your invitation, but do any talk about how frustrating it is to get done properly, how you could need additional postage or how your post office may have a different policy then Martha Stewart's?  ;) I think we should lobby for sturdier envelopes instead.

I'm like Jean, only took one lost order and I wont use them for packages.  I go to a Postal store so I can see comparison prices between the 3 options, I know I've paid more than USPS, but less than something else - so it feels like a good deal ;) Another tip, I've always found that the FedEx/UPS Ground rates (if available) tend to be comparable to USPS, if you have the time.

Offline lyndsaywrightdesign

• View Profile
    • Lyndsay Wright Design
« Reply #96 on: January 02, 2015, 03:26:11 PM »
I will have to see if I can find my copy but when I mailed my wedding invitations, they were square, wrapped in a square doily, and tied with a ribbon. I paid extra postage and I was guaranteed they would be hand cancelled.

They arrived with big black track marks across the upper third ... every single one of them. The track marks were about 1.5" wide and all the way across the envelope. Clearly they didn't hand cancel them! GRRRR! But it's been 20 year so I have tried to let it go. HAHAHA!  ;D

I think this is an example of what Erica's talking about.  My sister's wedding invitations appeared in her guests' mailboxes like this.  This was a hand cancellation, NOT machined.  She was so upset, and I was just dumbfounded.  Her wedding invitations were really nice, super thick (like maybe 1/8"?), letterpress, and a large square (maybe 7" x 7"?).  The massive cancellation didn't really fit the look she was going for.
http://www.lyndsaywrightdesign.com
Instagram: lyndsaywrightdesign

Offline lyndsaywrightdesign

• View Profile
    • Lyndsay Wright Design
« Reply #97 on: January 02, 2015, 03:41:45 PM »
So ... again not USPS but Austrian postal service.

I weigh and measure my letters to calculate the postage before I throw them into the post box to make sure they're correctly stamped, but last week I was at the PO anyways.
So I hand this one letter with the stamps already on it to the lady at the counter and tell her that it's fine and she just has to cancel it and she says: "I won't take that."
I ask her why, and she tells me that it's bulky and I have to pay an additional ~ 10$ because it counts as a maxi letter whatnot thing. I tell her that I've send about 20 letters the same size and weight and bulkiness with the $3 stamps (handed in at the counter and thrown into the post box) and all of them arrived safe and sound. She then tells me: "Maybe you were lucky, but I WILL NOT TAKE THIS LETTER. You can throw it in the post box and hope it arrives, BUT I WILL NOT TAKE IT!!"
I didn't tell her to go f herself, but I told her I would just throw it into the box then.

Now I'm curious if my letter arrives at its destination. I'll let you know.

PS: I'm not cheap, but when about 10 different post office employees have taken and cancelled my letters and all of them arrived, I refuse to listen to that one mean woman. And the way she talked to me, incredibly unfriendly, I've never seen anything like her.

A woman at a local post office here in Dallas told me that I can't put 3 Forever stamps on international mail in place of an international stamp.  She's clearly full of crap, because I think the only international mail that I have sent all year that didn't arrive to the recipient was a summer exchange card to Patricia, and that one had an international stamp, if I remember right.  After I started to protest, she explained to me that the post office wouldn't know how much the Forever stamp had been purchased for and whether 3 of them would be enough to equal an international stamp.  I kept my mouth shut at that point, because I figured it would be wasted energy to explain to her that international postage is $1.15.  The first Forever stamp was the liberty bell that came out in 2007, when stamps cost $0.41, 3 of which would be $1.23.  So pretty much, any combination of 3 Forever stamps that ever existed would exceed the current international postage rate for a card.  It would have just been lost on her.
http://www.lyndsaywrightdesign.com
Instagram: lyndsaywrightdesign

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #98 on: January 02, 2015, 05:27:58 PM »

A woman at a local post office here in Dallas told me that I can't put 3 Forever stamps on international mail in place of an international stamp.  She's clearly full of crap, because I think the only international mail that I have sent all year that didn't arrive to the recipient was a summer exchange card to Patricia, and that one had an international stamp, if I remember right.  After I started to protest, she explained to me that the post office wouldn't know how much the Forever stamp had been purchased for and whether 3 of them would be enough to equal an international stamp.  I kept my mouth shut at that point, because I figured it would be wasted energy to explain to her that international postage is $1.15.  The first Forever stamp was the liberty bell that came out in 2007, when stamps cost $0.41, 3 of which would be $1.23.  So pretty much, any combination of 3 Forever stamps that ever existed would exceed the current international postage rate for a card.  It would have just been lost on her.

What the.. I put 2-3 forever stamps all the time for international mail and never had complaints. I swear that USPS is like a big country with federal laws, but every little post office in every town has its own state laws with its own little Napoleons with their own interpretation of the 'federal law'... lol.

Offline Sarah Foutz

• Write on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 02, 2015, 07:52:49 PM »
I worked at the Post Office nights during college to put myself through school. Here are a few things I learned (besides the fact I didn't want to make it a career!!):

1. The sad fact is, they don't care about your mail. Simply put: they are there for the benefits. It's like Wal-Mart. Once you start working there and get a few raises, you don't think you'll ever find a better job with health insurance and before you know it, you've been there 30 years sorting mail.

2. Since they've worked there so long and feel like their lives are slowly wasting away, they get angry at the silliest things, like beautiful lettering! I saw my share of "heated disagreements" there and wished I could become invisible while spit was flying. It's just mail, people!

3. Mail gets stuck in the machines all the time. This makes them even more angry because then they have to "hand-sort" it. Grumble, grumble--to think there's still a need for human sorters!!!

4. It's always best to take fancy lettered mail (anything a machine might not be able to read) to the post office and not only get them hand-cancelled, but also ask that they are "HAND SORTED." There is a separate place they put those if they are in a helpful mood. :) This is CRITICAL if there is anything lumpy in the envelope--there's a high percentage that anything like nibs would rip the envelope open in the high-speed sorting machines.

5. Sorting postcards was the best place to get stuck on a long night. lol

Schin--as for the "LOON" written on your beautiful letter, here's why: in my experience they only write the first 4 letters of the last names to save time whenever there is a questionable address. So my last name would be FOUT instead of FOUTZ. Hopefully this makes you feel better about the mistake!!!  It's a shame they had to write anything on it in the first place!!
Sarah Pearl Foutz
Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What! You, too? I thought I was the only one!" C.S. Lewis
http://instagram.com/sarahpearlstudio

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #100 on: January 02, 2015, 08:09:56 PM »

Schin--as for the "LOON" written on your beautiful letter, here's why: in my experience they only write the first 4 letters of the last names to save time whenever there is a questionable address. So my last name would be FOUT instead of FOUTZ. Hopefully this makes you feel better about the mistake!!!  It's a shame they had to write anything on it in the first place!!

Ohhh!! LOL okay. All these years I thought some wise guy was trying to be funny.. still, wouldn't have taken them a fraction of a second to turn that LOON to LOONG! Still pretty funny I admit.

Offline sybillevz

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 03, 2015, 05:36:25 AM »
The more I read about USPS in this thread, the more I think about a TV series I watched some time ago... It was about a USPS special team of people whose job was to deliver the mail that couldn't be sorted by the machines... Strangely, in the first episode they only had one letter to deliver and it took them like a whole week... Well, watching life on TV is like watching life in a parallel universe.
more info about the show : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signed,_Sealed,_Delivered_%28TV_series%29

Offline Milonguera

• View Profile
    • Instagram,  My blog
« Reply #102 on: January 03, 2015, 07:52:45 AM »
I worked at the Post Office nights during college to put myself through school. Here are a few things I learned (besides the fact I didn't want to make it a career!!):

1. The sad fact is, they don't care about your mail. Simply put: they are there for the benefits. It's like Wal-Mart. Once you start working there and get a few raises, you don't think you'll ever find a better job with health insurance and before you know it, you've been there 30 years sorting mail.

2. Since they've worked there so long and feel like their lives are slowly wasting away, they get angry at the silliest things, like beautiful lettering! I saw my share of "heated disagreements" there and wished I could become invisible while spit was flying. It's just mail, people!

3. Mail gets stuck in the machines all the time. This makes them even more angry because then they have to "hand-sort" it. Grumble, grumble--to think there's still a need for human sorters!!!

Sarah, you should add this to the thread http://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=1183.0  Learning that there's HAND SORTED and not just HAND CANCELLED is wonderful to know. 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 10:34:48 PM by Erica McPhee »
Debbie

Offline Milonguera

• View Profile
    • Instagram,  My blog
« Reply #103 on: January 03, 2015, 07:56:19 AM »
What the.. I put 2-3 forever stamps all the time for international mail and never had complaints. I swear that USPS is like a big country with federal laws, but every little post office in every town has its own state laws with its own little Napoleons with their own interpretation of the 'federal law'... lol.

Schin,

I drove around to the 4 closest USPS offices closest to me (none of them is really, very far) and found the one that I like the best and they're the office I go to whenever I'm willing to stand in line for ANYthing.  You're right--they're each little fiefdoms in their own right.  I also sent them a thank you card during the Holidays and the one agent I usually end up dealing with (she's a very happy and speedy worker) kept the card in her stack of stuff right at the counter and showed it to me the next time I saw her. 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 10:43:46 PM by Erica McPhee »
Debbie

Offline Sarah Foutz

• Write on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 03, 2015, 11:21:18 AM »

still, wouldn't have taken them a fraction of a second to turn that LOON to LOONG! Still pretty funny I admit.

I completely agree Schin!!  but sadly most postal workers I knew did (barely) the bare minimum!!
Sarah Pearl Foutz
Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What! You, too? I thought I was the only one!" C.S. Lewis
http://instagram.com/sarahpearlstudio