Author Topic: Higgins Eternal destroying nibs.  (Read 3223 times)

Offline Chris

• View Profile
    • The graphic design of Christian Bélanger.
Higgins Eternal destroying nibs.
« on: March 30, 2018, 02:45:26 PM »
Hi!

I'm a heavy walnut ink user. I just love it. But when comes the time to write in black, I use Higgins Eternal.

However, I can't say I like it because it ALWAYS destroys my nibs. For example, I have been working with Higgins Eternal on a project for 2 days, and my nib is already destroyed; it litterally gnawed the metal.

I work with Brause (for my Gothics and Italics) and Nikko G (for my Copperplate) nibs, and they are very hard to find where I live in Montreal, Canada.

After each session, I clean my nibs thoroughly under fresh water while rubbing with my fingers. After, I dry them using a tea towel and/or paper towel.

Does this happen only to me?

What would you recommend instead?

Thanks!
Christian Bélanger
Graphic design college teacher, musician and apprentice calligrapher.
My Calligraphy on Flickr + My Calligraphy on Instagram

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
Re: Higgins Eternal destroying nibs.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 03:56:20 PM »
Wow, I didn't realize Higgins was corrosive.  We all have our favorite black inks- mine is Moon Palace Sumi, and I dilute it around 60:40 ink to water.  It is not corrosive like the Yasutomo green bottle sumi, which is commonly found.

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 04:10:44 PM »
Hi!

Thanks for your response!

Is the Moon Palace Sumi this one?

When you say you dilute it around 60:40 ink to water, does it mean 3 parts ink for 2 parts water (3:2)? If so, why exactly?

Do you use it with a broad or pointed nib?

Thanks!

Chris.
Christian Bélanger

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 04:17:36 PM »
I think Ziller's ink (the glossy black) is a nice alternative, if you want deep black ink. It also needs to be a bit thinned. You also have to clean your nibs well, because it's an acrylic ink, and it gives much more solid hairlines than walnut ink, but as I said – nice for special projects imho!

I should add that I don't know the ink you mentioned – there are so many black inks, I never felt this is something I have to order from overseas :).
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 05:23:02 PM »
Thank you! :D
Christian Bélanger

Offline KristinT

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 03:29:44 AM »
I use Higgins Eternal almost exclusively, especially for practice, with nibs from Brause Blue Pumpkin and Nikko G to the Hunt 101 and Leonardt EF Principal (and more).  I have never had any issues with it, I find it very gentle on my equipment.  Is it possible your water or something else is to blame?  When did you get your bottle of Eternal?  Maybe there was a bad batch?

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2018, 10:33:55 AM »
Hi!

I never have any problem when I use walnut ink. I've had 2 bottles of Higgins over the years. Always the same.

I just bought the Higgins Pen Cleaner; my nib is all clean now, but still doesn't work well.

Thanks!
Christian Bélanger

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 11:07:36 AM »
Look at this! This is after two days of using Higgins! On the other hand, my other 2.5mm Brause nib is still intact after weeks of using walnut.
Christian Bélanger

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2018, 04:57:30 PM »
When you say you dilute it around 60:40 ink to water, does it mean 3 parts ink for 2 parts water (3:2)? If so, why exactly?

Do you use it with a broad or pointed nib?

Yes, that is the Moon Palace! And what on earth is with my 60:40 ratio?  3:2, Bianca!  I was thinking percent, but wrote it in ratio format.   ::)

Anyhow, I find that it's too thick straight out of the bottle, but I don't recall ever using it with a broad nib.  If you opt to dilute it with a broad nib, your ratio, I suspect, will be different- it's all personal preference. :)

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2018, 05:32:52 PM »
Thank you Bianca!

On another note, I'm wondering if my nibs get ruined because I take too long before washing them? I usually wash them after my working session. So sometimes it could be 1-2 hours of usage before washing the nib. Should I rinse it like every 30 minutes or something?

Also: does anyone use this Higgins?

I bought it today, but before I open the bottle, I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with it.

Thanks!
Christian Bélanger

Offline Vlatorn

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2018, 08:21:52 PM »
, I'm wondering if my nibs get ruined because I take too long before washing them? I usually wash them after my working session. So sometimes it could be 1-2 hours of usage before washing the nib. Should I rinse it like every 30 minutes or something?

Do you clean/ dip in water while you’re working? I’ve read many places you need to remove your ink every two minutes or so to avoid corrosion. Not full on cleaning but dipping I water and drying of with paper or at least remove excess/drying ink with a towel every 5 mins or so. :)

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2018, 09:42:56 AM »
Do you clean/ dip in water while you’re working? I’ve read many places you need to remove your ink every two minutes or so to avoid corrosion. Not full on cleaning but dipping I water and drying of with paper or at least remove excess/drying ink with a towel every 5 mins or so. :)

Thanks! But every 2 minutes seems intense, no?
Christian Bélanger

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2018, 11:44:54 AM »
I clean my nibs as soon as I have a feeling that the hairlines start to get bad … usually after one or two lines with walnut ink, more often with thicker, pigment based inks like gouache etc. – always when I lay down my pen just for a few minutes. I wipe off the ink on a cotton cloth, dip in water, wipe again. It's sort of automatic. But I admit that it's more work with a broad nib, especially if it has a reservoire …
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2018, 11:57:58 AM »
I clean my nibs as soon as I have a feeling that the hairlines start to get bad … usually after one or two lines with walnut ink, more often with thicker, pigment based inks like gouache etc. – always when I lay down my pen just for a few minutes. I wipe off the ink on a cotton cloth, dip in water, wipe again. It's sort of automatic. But I admit that it's more work with a broad nib, especially if it has a reservoire …

Thank you! :D
Christian Bélanger

Offline TeresaS

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2018, 11:30:41 PM »
I sort of have the opposite problem... I've noticed my walnut ink will discolor my nibs.  I've never noticed anything corrosive, but my walnut ink has taken the color out of my blue pumpkin and tarnished my EF principle.
Teresa