Author Topic: Experiment in acquiring a new hand  (Read 1016 times)

Offline Dries

  • Junior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 94
  • Karma: 7
    • View Profile
Experiment in acquiring a new hand
« on: June 19, 2016, 10:10:12 AM »


Rather than learning a new hand the usual way of copying from an exemplar, I've tried to "figure it out myself". Using only a short sample that contained a few different letters, I recreated the rest from memory based on work I had seen before. Where I couldn't, I postulated (based on those I have already figured out) what the letters should look like. Now, after working at it for a few days, I am satisfied with the minuscules and working on the capitals.

I am happy with the results, but have I actually achieved the aim of developing my own variation of an existing hand? You be the judge.

Excuse the inconsistency; I am still developing muscle memory for this hand. That aside, criticism and tips for improvement are most welcome.

Offline Bianca M

  • Super Hero Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 1215
  • Karma: 63
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
Re: Experiment in acquiring a new hand
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 05:57:09 PM »
I have no business critiquing this, since I know zilch about Fraktur, but I would like to at least say that I think this is beautiful.  I especially like the tops of your fs, to be specific.

It may help to post a larger photo next time for more detailed critique. Don't be shy. ;)

Offline jeanwilson

  • Super Hero Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 1078
  • Karma: 165
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
Re: Experiment in acquiring a new hand
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 09:14:55 AM »
In order to give tips or criticism, I would need to see a bit of the sample that you were working from. For example, I would make some changes to one of the letters I see - but if that's one of the letters that you had to work on - then there is a reason it is the way it is.

This is a great way to study alphabets. I frequently have to do it for jobs when someone brings envelopes and an invitation that does not include the entire alphabet. I really enjoy deciding how I will make the letters that are not on the invitation. Sometimes I see the font later and it is fun to see how close I came to the actual font.

Offline Dries

  • Junior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 94
  • Karma: 7
    • View Profile
Re: Experiment in acquiring a new hand
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 02:16:52 PM »
Bianca and Jean, thank you for the feedback. This is the sample that started me off:



I now see that I've diverted considerably from some of the letter shapes, probably because I didn't use it as an exemplar, but rather tried to recreate the look later without referring back to the image.

That said, I welcome your suggestions and criticism.

Offline jeanwilson

  • Super Hero Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 1078
  • Karma: 165
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
Re: Experiment in acquiring a new hand
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 06:48:34 AM »
The main difference that I see is the proportion of the sample. The sample is very eye catching with it's tall, narrow proportion. But, as you say, you were not looking at it when you did your own lettering, so it is understandable that your proportions came out shorter and wider. Your spacing is very similar. The one letter that jumped out at me that I did not want to mention until I knew if it was included in your sample was the m. I don't spend any time looking at all the variations of fraktur - so maybe that shorter stroke appears all the time - but I found it distracting. If you like it, by all means - keep it. If you are going to try another version that is closer to your sample, IMHO, you might try the m with three matching strokes and see how you like it. The sample is really beautiful and I can see why you would be interested in having a full exemplar. Thank you for sharing.

Offline Dries

  • Junior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 94
  • Karma: 7
    • View Profile
Re: Experiment in acquiring a new hand
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 02:39:46 PM »
Thanks for your advice, Jean. After reading it, I tried the m with three matching strokes and you are right it does look better. I also take your point re the proportions, and I'll work on that too.

In due course, when I feel I have improved a bit, I will post another sample here for further critique.