Author Topic: Handwritten Calligraphy  (Read 626 times)

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
Handwritten Calligraphy
« on: November 11, 2023, 04:49:40 PM »
Handwritten Calligraphy

Offline Mary_M

• View Profile
Re: Handwritten Calligraphy
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2023, 03:59:10 PM »
What a pretty C-

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2023, 11:51:56 PM »
It really is. This is a gorgeous specimen. I find Cís challenging. This is a beautiful one.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2023, 10:15:00 AM »
I write this C on its back, from right to left starting with the bottom hairline, In this way, all three  shaded strokes are downstrokes.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 10:18:26 AM by Ken Fraser »

Offline Mark T

• No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2023, 12:23:29 PM »
I write all 26 letters on my back ;D ;D ;D

The 'C' is beautifull, as are the other letters, as usual.... but I must confess, I'm so sorry, but I struggle with it every time I read this hand, no matter who the scribe is at the time, but the 'w'. I can't see it sometimes, and it shouts out to me as an 'n' and an 'r'. Nothing to do with your writing, Mr Fraser, I can categorically assure you.
I'm sure with much more reading that it will just be like any other letter of the alphabet and I'll give it no thought.
Laughter is definitely the best medicine, but Wolves destroying WBA runs laughter close, and the Yankees winning the World Series is ................ laughter is the best medicine, remember?

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2023, 04:49:18 PM »
@Mark T
You must have very flexible arms.
Something like this?

Offline Mark T

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2023, 07:22:23 PM »
That is a beautiful tattoo. Much nicer than my back inkings. I did manage to read the nice writing after a while of squinting, but not a patch on Mr Frasers.
Laughter is definitely the best medicine, but Wolves destroying WBA runs laughter close, and the Yankees winning the World Series is ................ laughter is the best medicine, remember?

Offline Mark T

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2023, 11:46:23 AM »
I can't settle. I've been awake most of the night fretting about the post I made in this thread.
I actually felt physically sick earlier because I couldn't reach the computer to type this up.
In short - did I make myself clear with what I wrote about the 'w', and how I struggle to read it, but most of all, was what I wrote clear enough explanation for Mr Fraser to see that I wasn't saying his writting was bad. God forbid. I absolutely adore all of his writting and I am in awe of his skill. So, I have returned to apologise to anybody if I offended, but most of all to Mr Fraser.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2023, 11:52:37 AM by Mark T »

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2023, 03:37:27 AM »

The 'C' is beautifull, as are the other letters, as usual.... but I must confess, I'm so sorry, but I struggle with it every time I read this hand, no matter who the scribe is at the time, but the 'w'. I can't see it sometimes, and it shouts out to me as an 'n' and an 'r'. Nothing to do with your writing, Mr Fraser, I can categorically assure you.
I'm sure with much more reading that it will just be like any other letter of the alphabet and I'll give it no thought.
I think of this form of w as n and v overlapping with the central downstroke.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2023, 08:42:17 PM »
No need to fret! Your message was completely clear. And many people would share the same sentiment as it is a unique form of the letter.  :-*

I can't settle. I've been awake most of the night fretting about the post I made in this thread.
I actually felt physically sick earlier because I couldn't reach the computer to type this up.
In short - did I make myself clear with what I wrote about the 'w', and how I struggle to read it, but most of all, was what I wrote clear enough explanation for Mr Fraser to see that I wasn't saying his writting was bad. God forbid. I absolutely adore all of his writting and I am in awe of his skill. So, I have returned to apologise to anybody if I offended, but most of all to Mr Fraser.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2023, 03:45:42 AM »
No reason for an apology. I, also, had trouble remembering the construction of this letter until I realized that it is made up of n and v. Sorry your sleep was disturbed.

Offline Mark T

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2023, 04:56:54 PM »
@EriCa L
@Mr Fraser
Thank you.

Offline Cyril Jayant

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/jaycyril
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2023, 07:25:49 AM »

No reason for an apology. I, also, had trouble remembering the construction of this letter until I realized that it is made up of n and v. Sorry your sleep was disturbed.

I was also confused once when I saw this" W " first time when I was going through  the " Universal Penmans "  It looks confusing and wonder who else has been using this older form of W in English round hand/ Copperplate.
"Paul Antonio" had done many versions ( Historic ) of all Capital letters but Never seen this" W " come up. So this w is special and for that reason I like it.

But My question is  this w is a one that really disappeared from  use?

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2023, 06:42:19 PM »
It is quite confusing if taken out of context Ö is an n, a v, a u. But here it works so well.

Great conversation starter Ken!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram