Author Topic: Knowledge  (Read 216 times)

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
Knowledge
« on: January 12, 2024, 07:18:07 AM »
Not a direct copy but written in the style of a heading in "The Universal Penman"

Offline Cyril Jayant

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/jaycyril
Re: Knowledge
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2024, 12:53:27 PM »
@Ken ,This is a real piece of art and If I am not mistaken this kind of writing is called" Cartouche' in calligraphy flourishing. 
This piece has lot of steps in designing , layout and then , retouching and finishing. Many hours in time to produce of course.
I like to mention here The CARTOUCHE  is a borrowed word from French. It is similar word in English as stencil ( in drawing or Cloth designing / modelling cloths. Also a bullets in a gun  ;D 

I have a question... do you have a method to do a work in enlarging a ... say a coping a frame ( decorative , simple frame ) into a final bigger size and using it as a CHARTREUSE to lay out some words as quote.
What tools you may use ? Light board using a layout paper  and is there is any tools for enlarging process. Thank you for some of your thoughts on your master skills perspective.

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
Re: Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2024, 06:47:58 AM »

Thanks for your interest. In fact, my method couldn't be simpler. I first wrote the word "Knowledge" in black ink and then added the decoration in pencil freehand, copying by eye, elements from the Universal Penman. Once I was satisfied with the result, I inked in the decoration in black turning the paper frequently to form the shaded downstrokes. I then applied minimal retouching with white gouache. This is probably not the easiest way, with no mechanical assistance, but at least the end result was produced by hand.
[/quote]
« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 06:50:58 AM by Ken Fraser »