Author Topic: Hello from New York!  (Read 485 times)

Offline OhanaMama

• View Profile
Hello from New York!
« on: January 15, 2020, 12:50:22 PM »
Hi! My name is Denise and I live on Long Island. I am a graphic designer and have always been envious of all the gorgeous typography and hand lettering I see out there. I finally decided to learn calligraphy, and my husband gifted me with an online Modern Copperplate course for Christmas. I am currently learning to join the letters together to form words, and my big challenge right now (other than the basic newbie inexperience) is my DEATH GRIP on the dang pen! I am also excited to move on to adding flourishes and decoration to my writing, but I still have a ways to go.
I'm really glad I found this forum!  :)

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
Re: Hello from New York!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 04:59:25 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Denise!  There are some conversations in here with tips on how to loosen up your grip - it is a common habit! ;)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 10:44:12 PM »
Welcome Denise! How fun to jump right in. One tip I know is to hold a pencil with the eraser side down in the opposite hand. This creates a counter point to the pressure you are exerting. Enjoy the process. Let us know if we can help in any way.  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline FlowerCityLetters

• View Profile
    • Flower City Letters
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 08:44:53 AM »
Hi Denise, welcome to the forum!

That's a great Christmas present, which course is it that you're taking?

The death grip - I think almost every calligrapher struggles with this at the beginning. I have found doing oval drills helped me a lot with becoming comfortable with the pen without the death grip. And Bianca is right, there are a lot of resources here on the forum on that topic as well.