Author Topic: Latest nib experiences  (Read 19968 times)

Offline Sheehan1

• View Profile
Latest nib experiences
« on: August 12, 2015, 05:53:15 AM »
I am just a new member but trying very hard to learn the roundhand writing and accumulating some dip nibs I enjoy.  I make my own pen holders and brass nib holders and enjoy everyone aspect of this wonderful experience.  I am starting to get a small knowledge of the nibs I like.   My favourites nibs that I have purchased are as follows (not in any order but the Gillott 604, Spencarian No. 5 and Esterbrook 128 feel so good in my hand. Well here is my list:

Blanzy Dept Cementee 2552
Baignol Henry 2730
Esterbrook 128
Gillott `70 Unwarranted
Spencarian No. 5
Zebra G
Nikko G. Brause 54 EF
Gilbert Blancy Plum Tremplin `60
Blanzy Gorille
Mitchell 138
Carl Kuhn Wien `08
Leonart Principle
Blanzy Le Seduisante
Carl Kuhn 530 and
Sommerville 757 Lincoln

I am trying to refine my herd of nib down to my very best but it is so hard.

What do others thinks of my present herd?

Offline Achaneystudio

• View Profile
    • www.achaneystudio.com
Re: Latest nib experiences
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 11:09:28 AM »
I like the versatility of the Zebra G - I feel like it works well on a lot of surfaces and with a lot of inks. It's a consistent nib.

My other two go-tos are not on your list: Brause Steno and Brause 66ef. Not to add to your list  ;)

Offline Heebs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 12:59:47 PM »
From the nibs you mentioned you like you should keep an eye out for the Spencerian 1 and 2. I normally don't like the G nibs (mostly because I've been spoiled by vintage nibs) but the new Titanium Zebra G is really great.

You have a nice variety of nibs, many people like the Mitchell 138 as well but it's a bit temperamental.

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 01:19:12 PM »
Sounds like a good collection... could you post a photo? I don't remember nib names very well, but I do know what they look like!
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline Sheehan1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 04:46:13 PM »
I like the versatility of the Zebra G - I feel like it works well on a lot of surfaces and with a lot of inks. It's a consistent nib.

My other two go-tos are not on your list: Brause Steno and Brause 66ef. Not to add to your list  ;)

Sorry I also have the Brause Steno and 66EF and they are also in my preferred list. Dont know how I missed the Brause 66ef.  It is so small and gives such great line variation

Offline Sheehan1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 04:49:22 PM »
Sounds like a good collection... could you post a photo? I don't remember nib names very well, but I do know what they look like!

Will do schin.  I find the names are also very confusing. When you browse through a seller with multiple needs you get used to the look of the nib rather than the name and I also have a great deal of trouble trying to read the name on the stem of the nib.  I have a magnifying glass but still find it difficult with some nibs.  I think my 3 favourites would be the Gillott 604, the Spencarian No. 5 and the Esterbrook 128

Offline Sheehan1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 07:46:59 PM »

Here are some pictures of some of the nibs.  I didnt include what I thought were the obvious.  My apologies for picture quality.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 07:49:02 PM by Sheehan1 »

Offline Sheehan1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 07:51:56 PM »
Last set of nibs as the file was too large for previous post.

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 08:57:23 PM »

Here are some pictures of some of the nibs.  I didnt include what I thought were the obvious.  My apologies for picture quality.

Oooooh those are some pretty good nibs!!!
I have some of those, but haven't tried em yet.
The Blanzy and Baignol are popular ones.
The Blanzy plume and gorilla are expensive and hilarious.. I think they're pretty good nibs too.. but I only have one of em so I'm not gonna use it.
The Mitchell 138 is based off a famous nib.. with three holes like that. It should be pretty good.
Dude the Kuhn 108 is like my new holy grail, I can't believe you have it. I tried it once at Iampeth, got soooo addicted!!

Offline Sheehan1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 11:48:36 PM »

The Blanzy plume and gorilla are expensive and hilarious.. I think they're pretty good nibs too.. but I only have one of em so I'm not gonna use it.
The Mitchell 138 is based off a famous nib.. with three holes like that. It should be pretty good.
Dude the Kuhn 108 is like my new holy grail, I can't believe you have it. I tried it once at Iampeth, got soooo addicted!!

Hi Schin
Can you tell me what the Mitchell 138 was based on?  I went back and had a try and it is a nice nib with plenty of flex. The only problem is that it does not produce very fine hair lines.  I have another interest pen which is very similar in shape with 3 holes. It is a very large nib called a Cobalta.  I just had a try and it is fairly similar to the Mitchell 138 and probably has more flex and quite smooth

Offline Sheehan1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 07:20:21 AM »

Hi Schin
I am quite happy to give you the Kuhn 108 if it is your holy grail.  I am very old and just learning this wonderful skill and I am sure you will appreciate it more than me.  I have plenty in my herd to keep me going for my limited time.   So I am prepared to post it to you for no charge.

Regards

Laurie

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 04:59:19 PM »
You're so kind to offer Laurie, but please keep it and try it.. I have found more Kuhns and have restocked my supply!

Anasaziwrites reminded me what the Mitchell 138 was based on, the Perry & Co 104. It is a similar looking spear nib with three holes but very flexible and wonderful, and a favorite of Nick D'Aquanno, an amazing penman. The Mitchell is an inferior copy. I wish I had extras of the Perry to send you, but I only have one and am keeping it for display only.

Offline Sheehan1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2015, 05:25:48 PM »
You're so kind to offer Laurie, but please keep it and try it.. I have found more Kuhns and have restocked my supply!

Anasaziwrites reminded me what the Mitchell 138 was based on, the Perry & Co 104. It is a similar looking spear nib with three holes but very flexible and wonderful, and a favorite of Nick D'Aquanno, an amazing penman. The Mitchell is an inferior copy. I wish I had extras of the Perry to send you, but I only have one and am keeping it for display only.

So it sounds like the Perry 104 is as rare as the Gillott 604.   I have a 604 and I am too scared to use it in case I damage it.    I never thought when I got into learning copperplate that I would end up having a collection but that is the way it turned out.   It all started when I was on the FP Geeks forum and trying to experience some of the old flexy fountain pen nibs like the Marie Todd pens sometimes had.   A member of that forum who is very wise told me I could waste a lot of money buying old fountain pens in the search for a flexy nib and so he suggested I buy some flexy dip nibs and a holder and get the experience that way.  So that is how I got started.  Funny the dip nib experience has put my fountain pen experience in the background and I havent used any of my nice fountain pens for some time.  I keep getting drawn to the dip nibs.  For me it is the line variation that I think makes the handwriting beautiful.  So I am always looking for nibs that produce those fine hairlines and nice thick strokes under pressure.   I just want to get reasonably proficient at copperplate and building up a nice small collection of nice nibs. 

I have purchased quiet a few that dont seem to give me the line variation that I want but I suppose it is a matter of just buying different ones and experimenting.   I found a very good article on the Iampeth website which goes through the various good nibs for copperplate. I think the author was a person named Herford. Might be wrong there.  I am lucky that I have a friend who sells nibs on Ebay and he recommends various nibs to me that dont seem to get any mention in the reviews.  Some are very obscure.  Some have been great and others not so great.  But the search is probably part of the fascination

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2015, 06:52:31 PM »
Funny the dip nib experience has put my fountain pen experience in the background ...

Yes, I know that feeling.  I have some nice vintage fountain pens (including a few Mabie Todds), but the sticking point is that only one of them comes close to being fine enough for me now.  (Well, the other thing is that I've become used to an oblique holder).  Finding soft nibs isn't so much of a problem, even on a budget, but true needlepoints aren't common.  I do still like springy stubbish fountain pen nibs for general writing without calligraphic intent though.

Incidentally, I thought the attached Gillott advertisement might interest you, as it prescribes pens for specific purposes and users.  I note with amusement that my favourite 303s are intended "for ladies' use".

Offline Sheehan1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2015, 07:17:11 PM »
Hi Andy.  Yes I too like the stubby springy fountain pen nibs.  I have a Pelikan 400 with a stub nib and it is just so smooth and beautiful to write with. I also like the effect you get with an italic nib. 
I havent tried the Gillott 303 but have one on order.  It gets plenty of mentions.  Might be designed for a lady but I tend to father the smaller nibs as I find them better at producing the fine lines and variation I like.  I love the Brause 66EF and I imagine that was regarded as a lady's nib.  I have larger Blanzy Poure nib called "Le Seduisante 750" which I also like very much.  Well named. Think it is french for the seducer. 

That Gillott poster is very interesting.  Is that the actual Gillott factory at the bottom of the poster.  If it is well it is a huge place to produce nibs.  It looks like a place where you would build tractors or aeroplanes and not nibs.

It is funny how your look at things change. I am sorry I didnt get interested in this a bit younger as I am getting athritis in the hands and a bit shaky.  I started off using dip pens at school and now at 68 I am learning them again.    I recall at school my nib pen was used more as a javelin then a writing implement.  We used to play a game of throwing the pen and trying to get it to stick into a desk a few metres away.  All good fun till I embedded by javelin into someones leg.  That stopped that fun.  Remember all the school desk had a little hole in the right hand corner with an ink well and boxes of nibs at the front