Author Topic: Writing Small  (Read 12315 times)

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Re: Writing Small
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2019, 02:11:09 PM »
In a recent search (and then purchase) of a high precision t-square/ruler, I also needed a very fine pencil, and found one. With a 0.2 mm lead, it's actually easier to write at say, 1/64 inch x-ht with this pencil than with ink and nib, as there is no bleeding of the lead. If you want to write small, try out this pencil. Works great.
(It can be found at Amazon or John Neal. Just use the link "Supplies page" on the top of the FF page you are on)

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2019, 10:35:01 AM »
This ruler is the bees knees for writing small. I'll post this in the tools and supplies section where it belongs with further explanation, but for small work, this really helps.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2019, 10:26:41 AM »
The seal on the back was called a wafer. The early ones were created out of a "batter of fine wheaten flour, the gluten of which is of an adhesive nature, mixed with white of egg, isinglass, and coloring agents..." (from Western Writing Implements by Michael Finlay)  This mixture was heated and pressed into a sheet, which, when dry, was cut into circles, and other shapes. It was licked and helped hold the paper together. They were sold in boxes in various colors, and shapes.

Wafers fell out of favor around 1840 when the gummed envelop came into fashion, about the same time as postage stamps. Some less complex wafers, which were really just gummed pieces of paper and which imitated earlier wax seals were still sold. That may be what you have, but it could be an earlier form, it's hard to tell from the photo.

@AAAndrew this is fascinating - thank you for sharing.  My first thought was that it'd be neat to try to make a wafer, but then I read about isinglass.  Hmm.
@AAAndrew
@Bianca M
Newly arrived from a London auction are these two wafer sealers, so now we can seal envelopes the old old fashioned way, once we make some seals. I was amazed at how small and delicate these are.

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2019, 02:24:50 PM »
Newly arrived from a London auction are these two wafer sealers, so now we can seal envelopes the old old fashioned way, once we make some seals. I was amazed at how small and delicate these are.

Ohhhhh my goodness!  How delightful.  I'm so glad you found these, and am eager to see the seals they produce!

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2020, 08:55:57 AM »

Ohhhhh my goodness!  How delightful.  I'm so glad you found these, and am eager to see the seals they produce!
@Bianca M
The smaller of the two would be appropriate for Valentine's Day, and if we have an exchange then, I'll use it.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2021, 01:36:02 PM »

@Bianca M
And so you shall, presently.