Author Topic: Modified videos  (Read 288 times)

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
Modified videos
« on: November 23, 2023, 06:57:29 AM »
I'd ban the posting of speeded-up videos which are misleading and give the wrong impression of skill and dexterity. This must be particularly disheartening to beginners. Instagram is very guilty of this practice.

Does anyone agree...or is this just the griping of an out-of-touch old dinosaur. :(

« Last Edit: November 23, 2023, 09:22:45 AM by Ken Fraser »

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Re: Modified videos
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2023, 09:29:44 AM »
I'd ban the posting of speeded-up videos which are misleading and give the wrong impression of skill and dexterity. This must be particularly disheartening to beginners. Instagram is very guilty of this practice.

Does anyone agree...or is this just the griping of an out-of-touch old dinosaur. :(
@Ken Fraser
Agree 100%. Very misleading. I enjoy seeing the speed at which people actually write.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2023, 11:02:01 AM »
LOL! I agree to a certain extent. I really appreciate watching other calligraphers in real time because itís helpful to see how fast or slow they work. But on Instagram there used to be a time limit for videos and if you want to see the whole thing, it has to be sped up. Also, sometimes itís just fun to see it all in one swoop.

And, Iíll be honest, there are some that are so incredibly slow, I never make it past the first couple strokes because [yawn].  ;D :-[
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline brose

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2023, 11:48:39 AM »
Counterpoint: the exposure could inspire those who may otherwise never know or see calligraphy. Unfortunately, media is going after shorter attention spans. Slow real time videos have less of a chance of getting fast attention, going viral, and providing exposure to those who would have otherwise maybe never know about it.

This is one of those things where I am not a huge fan, but I get the reasoning.

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2023, 05:01:45 PM »
And, Iíll be honest, there are some that are so incredibly slow, I never make it past the first couple strokes because [yawn].  ;D :-[
I can see that very quick videos can be entertaining as they are obviousiy faked. My problem is with videos which have been slightly quickened. This is presumably to give the impression of greater skill. This must be misleading to the uninitiated and is simply a form of cheating IMHO. As Tom Gourdie once famously said "in calligraphy nobody ever won a prize by coming first".
I, personally, have no problem with slowly executed calligraphy which, if well done, can be beautiful to watch.

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2023, 05:12:47 PM »
the exposure could inspire those who may otherwise never know or see calligraphy.
True, But speeded-up calligraphy can appear so difficult, it is more likely to dissuade the casual viewer. Much better to show it as it really is without artificial doctoring.

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2023, 04:20:27 AM »
On reflection, my suggestion of a ban is a bit excessive. Also, it's probably impractical, as the practice is so prevalent. Better, perhaps, to point out from time to time that what you are seeing isn't necessarily real-time writing.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2023, 05:12:53 AM by Ken Fraser »

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2023, 04:58:49 PM »
I agree Ken, I think it should be stated in the accompanied comments if there is one, that the video is sped up and not in real time.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram