Author Topic: Your favorite pointed nibs  (Read 13797 times)

Offline Scarlet Blue

• I do joined up writing.
    • View Profile
    • Wonky Words
Re: Your favorite pointed nibs
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2014, 09:49:54 AM »
Thanks, Penstaff, next time I'm ordering I'll put a vintage 303 in my basket.

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2014, 12:26:52 PM »
I'm on the lookout for some vintage 303s, too, without much success so far.

Offline Scarlet Blue

• I do joined up writing.
    • View Profile
    • Wonky Words
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2014, 01:00:46 PM »
I swear that when I looked at Scribblers vintage nibs the other day that they had vintage 303s.... have looked again and they only have the vintage 404s. This is the thing about being ancient - you start hallucinating.
:-(

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2014, 02:46:18 PM »
Similarly, I was convinced that Kallipos had 303s, but I turned my back and they turned into 170s.  Glad to know it's not just me.

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2014, 03:14:36 PM »
About one year ago, he still had them :). I bought some back then, I'll check how many I have left and let you know. I didn't like them very much …

A lot of nibs he had back then are all sold now!! Well, that's the danger when becoming too attached to vintage items that don't last :(
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline Nice Plume

• View Profile
    • Nice Plume
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2014, 06:12:32 PM »
By now my favorite is leonardt Principal EF ! Totally In love !

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2014, 08:06:04 PM »
About one year ago, he still had them :). I bought some back then, I'll check how many I have left and let you know. I didn't like them very much …

A lot of nibs he had back then are all sold now!! Well, that's the danger when becoming too attached to vintage items that don't last :(

That's very true.  There are some gentlemen of my acquaintance who are obsessive about out of production razor blades, to the extent that they're prepared to pay ludicrous prices for them.  I don't understand that at all, but I do have a fair stockpile squirreled away which might come on the market one day.  ;)

Depending on how may you have and how many people are interested, I'm sure a mutually beneficially arrangement could be reached.  It would be nice to find out what the fuss is about, even if it's just a case of trying one nib.

Offline rebeccasinnen

• View Profile
    • Hadassah Calligraphy
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2014, 06:28:38 PM »
Nibs.  Oh how I love nibs...
My favorite modern-
Nikko G for envelopes, flourishing, just general writing
Leonardt Principal- for small copperplate when I want seriously fine hairlines (John Decollibus's recommendation)

not modern Gillott 303's as they are too scratchy.  I agree with the FORD vs. Rolls Royce analogy
Blue pumpkins, I hate having to dip my pen so frequently.  I need a nib that can hold a serious amount of ink and those blue ones didn't do it for me.

Now vintage...
Ahhhhhh....
Spencerian no. 1's --my favs.  Not too finely pointed so they don't snag, and enough flex to give me the big shades I love.

Gillott 604ef---this is a nib that can make some crazy mad shades.  For me, because I am not afraid of breaking my nibs, I can get shades that are well over a quarter inch wide.  Probably wasteful but I can't help myself.

Principality.  Made serious shades and CRAZY fine hairlines.  The contrast was fabulous.  Only had the one nib and wouldn't waste money on them.  It's just an extravagant pleasure to write with one. The Dom Pérignon of nibs.

Vintage Gillott 303's-- nice shades and great flex.  LOVE but you need a light hand to use them.

Musselman Perfection (Dr. Joe's fav)-- excellent for Copperplate

Palmer no. 9-- love these- they are long like Nikko G's and have pretty good flex...

Hiro Leonardt-  great for think inks, but a pain to clean the nib

I have so many other nibs...nut these are the ones I use most.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 03:59:54 PM by rebeccasinnen »

Offline elsa.d

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2014, 07:08:44 PM »
It doesn't have the finest hairlines or the best swells and it isn't the smoothest nib either, but for reasons I just cannot explain the hiro 700 feels so right in my hand.

Tachikawa g and hiro 41 are good and reliable for me
LP EF I just tried and am quite impressed with
I like the hiro 111 EF for letter writing bc it's not too fussy and the shades are quite small and consistent.

Offline Heebs

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2014, 08:39:54 PM »
Nibs.  Oh how I love nibs...
My favorite modern-
Nikko G for envelopes, flourishing, just general writing
Leonardt Principal- for small copperplate when I want seriously fine hairlines (John Decollibus's recommendation)

not modern Gillott 303's as they are too scratchy.  I agree with the FORD vs. Rolls Royce analogy
Blue pumpkins, I hate having to dip my pen so frequently.  I need a nib that can hold a serious amount of ink and those blue ones didn't do it for me.

Now vintage...
Ahhhhhh....
Spencerian no. 1's --my favs.  Not too finely pointed so they don't snag, and enough flex to give me the big shades I love.

Gillott 604ef---this is a nib that can make some crazy mad shades.  For me, because I am not afraid of breaking my nibs, I can get shades that are well over a quarter inch wide.  Probably wasteful but I can't help myself.

Principality.  Made serious shades and CRAZY fine hairlines.  The contrast was fabulous.  Only had the one nib and wouldn't waste money on them.  It's just an extravagant pleasure to write with one. The Dom Pérignon of nibs.

Vintage Gillott 303's-- nice shades and great flex.  LOVE but you need a light hand to use them.

Musselman Perfection (Dr. Joe's fav)-- excellent for Copperplate

Palmer no. 1-- love these- they are long like Nikko G's and have pretty good flex...

Hiro Leonardt-  great for think inks, but a pain to clean the nib

I have so many other nibs...nut these are the ones I use most.

The Spencerian 1 is my new favorite nib  ;D It's such a beautiful balance of smooth gliding/swells and they aren't as expensive as the other dream points. Sadly I just broke my first one (first nib I've ever broken) after using it non stop for about 5 hours straight  :o

Offline penstaff

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2014, 08:49:18 PM »
Reply to AndyT: Look no further - among other vintage nibs I have an ample supply of vintage Gillott #303 nibs available for sale. Contace me on the Forum or via email: [email protected] (Harvey)

Offline Alexiz

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2014, 11:49:36 PM »
My favorite wassssss Leonardt Principal, but then I got my Brause 66 EF to finally work. So right I'm having an affair with Brause.

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2014, 03:19:42 AM »
My favorite wassssss Leonardt Principal, but then I got my Brause 66 EF to finally work. So right I'm having an affair with Brause.
Ohyes. My affair with that one has developed into a fully fledged relationship.
Natascha
My Instagram

Offline penstaff

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2014, 10:44:12 PM »
Reply to Natascha: The Brause 66EF was my all time favorite - I say was becauseI don't write any more (to my regret). That was the nib my instructor got us to use in our copperplate class about 35 years ago. But I suppose there is a love-hate relationship with all nibs.

Offline anam_t

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2014, 03:15:45 PM »
As a beginner, my favourite currently is the Hunt 56!
I still have the Hunt 101, Brause Ef66 and Zebra G unused, will use them when I can start forming words. And I think the Ef66 doesn't fit with the peerless oblique holder.
I don't know but in between I started disliking the Nikko G nib - but I think I should start using it again.