Author Topic: Recommend Supplies for Beginners  (Read 79134 times)

Offline garyn

• View Profile
Re: Recommend Supplies for Beginners
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2015, 10:13:53 PM »
Chandra
You will NEED to get another oblique holder.  The Speedball holder will only fit one size of nibs.  The oblique holders with a brass flange can be adjusted to fit different size nibs.  In my case I adjust the holder to fit a size (Nikko G) and leave it alone, I have a 2nd oblique holder for a different size nib (Esterbrook 556).   This is to avoid having to adjust the holder for a different nib in the middle of a writing session.  I just grab the holder that fits the nib I want to use...easy.
Gary

Offline Chandra

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2015, 10:40:49 PM »
These are the beginning supplies I recommend. John Neal has it up on his site already here: Flourish Forum List.

Paper & Ink Arts is working on it. If you order from Paper & Ink Arts, it would be grand if you used my referral link: Paper & Ink Arts

From Paper & Ink Arts:

item # spdper - Oblique Red or Blue Peerless Holder
OR
item # peerls - Peerless Oblique Holder

item # walbot –Walnut Ink, 2.6 oz.
item # moonpa – Moon Palace Sumi Ink
item #drmbld – Dr. PH Martin’s bleedproof white (optional)

item # hiro41 – Hiro 41 nibs (5) Please note - we are currently seeing problems with this nib. Will update when it is resolved.)

item # nikkoG - Nikko G nibs (5)

item #dinkyd – Dinky Dips 4 square

The total cost is roughly $50 including the bleedproof white.

From John Neal:

H95. Speedball Deluxe (Comfort Grip) Oblique Pen Holders – sized for Nikko G.
OR
H96. Peerless Oblique Holders (Black Plastic) – sized for Nikko G

N113. Nikko G Nib (5)
N82. Hiro Crown Nib (#41)  (5) (Please note - we are currently seeing problems with this nib. Will update when it is resolved.)

I53-2.5. Walnut Drawing Ink
I70. Moon Palace Sumi Ink, 2 oz.
I38. Dr. Martin's Bleed Proof White Ink (optional)

S852. Small Dinky Dips (S304)

Hey there Erica,
Is the Hiro 41 problem solved ? I would like to try the nib and am thinking of purchasing 3 pcs.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2015, 07:35:01 PM »
I have found it hit or miss. Some are good, some not so much. I'd stick with the Nikko G as a starter nib.  ;)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2015, 07:39:11 PM »
I had a calligraphy teacher that referred to the Eleanor Winters style as "hillbilly" and said IAMPETH was the only source to use.  I like the Winters book and still fine it very helpful.  To each his own....

LOL! I am just now seeing this. Hillbilly! So you're saying he was a non-judgmental type? Ha Ha! What can I say... it's a really typical script.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2015, 07:45:31 PM »
I have bought a TON of nibs to try out, and I've been trying to use the Nikko G and Zebra G the most since they are so frequently recommended for beginners. But do they seem super HARD to anyone else? I feel like maybe I don't know what I'm supposed to be feeling but I feel like i have to apply SO MUCH pressure to get the nib to flex... its just not a pleasurable experience for me. I mostly use the Gillott 404... any suggestions on what else to use if I love this one?? Thanks!

If you really like the Gillott 404, try the 303. Also, I'd suggest trying the Hunt 101 and Hunt 56. I find the Hunt 56 to be closest to the Nikko G except more flexible. However, the older nibs do tend to skip more.

If you work with the Nikko G's they "warm up" after a bit and are less stiff and easier to work with. I always dread the change over to a new nib as they are stiff to get started. But then once warmed up glide well.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2015, 07:47:37 PM »
Chandra, there are 8 pages of nib discussion here: My Favorite Nibs for Pointed Pen
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Chandra

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2015, 10:27:39 PM »
I have bought a TON of nibs to try out, and I've been trying to use the Nikko G and Zebra G the most since they are so frequently recommended for beginners. But do they seem super HARD to anyone else? I feel like maybe I don't know what I'm supposed to be feeling but I feel like i have to apply SO MUCH pressure to get the nib to flex... its just not a pleasurable experience for me. I mostly use the Gillott 404... any suggestions on what else to use if I love this one?? Thanks!

If you really like the Gillott 404, try the 303. Also, I'd suggest trying the Hunt 101 and Hunt 56. I find the Hunt 56 to be closest to the Nikko G except more flexible. However, the older nibs do tend to skip more.

If you work with the Nikko G's they "warm up" after a bit and are less stiff and easier to work with. I always dread the change over to a new nib as they are stiff to get started. But then once warmed up glide well.

I also felt the same with Ellen and guess i'll give my Nikko G some warm up first and see how it goes ! I'm still sticking to my Brause Blue Pumpkin at the moment !

Offline Chandra

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2015, 10:28:24 PM »
Chandra, there are 8 pages of nib discussion here: My Favorite Nibs for Pointed Pen

Yeah i have read through them :)
Thanks Erica

Offline Judy G

• I can be bribed with cookies and ice cream.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2015, 03:36:30 PM »
Is the Hiro 41 problem solved ? I would like to try the nib and am thinking of purchasing 3 pcs.

Like what Erica said, it's really a hit or miss. The first time I bought (3 weeks ago), it was a miss. So I tried my luck again and bough a few more...sadly, they're all defective.
Judy G [joo-dee]
food blog | instagram | twitter

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2015, 03:46:48 PM »
I had a calligraphy teacher that referred to the Eleanor Winters style as "hillbilly" and said IAMPETH was the only source to use.  I like the Winters book and still fine it very helpful.  To each his own....

LOL! I am just now seeing this. Hillbilly! So you're saying he was a non-judgmental type? Ha Ha! What can I say... it's a really typical script.

Eleanor Winters is a Hillbilly?? Holy smoke!  That person is a moron!  She has beautiful, traditional Copperplate & I still pull out her book on an almost daily basis!  I probably have 30 calligraphy books & it's the only one that I would immediately replace if something happened to it!!

Offline prasad

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2015, 11:23:58 PM »

Eleanor Winters is a Hillbilly?? Holy smoke!  That person is a moron!  She has beautiful, traditional Copperplate & I still pull out her book on an almost daily basis!  I probably have 30 calligraphy books & it's the only one that I would immediately replace if something happened to it!!

Her style is definitely not that,  but "hillbilly" is a lovely word to practise for ascenders and double l's. :D
-Prasad

Something went wrong and my reply got mixed up in the quote,   :)
Just saw it and edited.  Perils of replying from an iPad :D
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 02:19:29 AM by prasad1970 »
Never be afraid to try something new
Remember - An amateur built the Ark and Professionals built the Titanic
My Instagram

Offline Yen

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2015, 01:26:42 AM »

Hi! I'm relatively new to calligraphy and I agree that the Gillott 303, Hunt 101 and Hunt 56 are my go-to nibs when practicing. :) They are so easy to work with. The Gillot 303, however, seems to snag on my practice paper a few times.
I created an Instagram account for my interests which includes making diaper cakes (for my new daddy/mommy friends), calligraphy, and DIY projects. :) --- @unbakedbymv

Offline Dora Szabo

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2015, 07:25:55 PM »
Very helpful list, thank you Erica!
However shipping from US to Europe can cost a fortune, so I would be very thankful if someone can recommend an online shop in Europe or maybe a good store in Budapest. :)

Offline NikkiB

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2015, 07:50:36 PM »
Hi Nikki,

welcome from Potsdam (near Berlin)! I started with calligraphy some months ago – here are some adresses in Europe where you will find what you need to get started: I like to order from

http://www.blotspens.co.uk/,

they have a great selection of calligraphy supplies and they are fast.

The very first supplier I came across when I started with calligraphy is

http://www.kallipos.de/gb-calligraphy-shop.html

in Germany. I have often ordered from them, they also send most times an extra nib to try out which is very nice! They have a huge collection of vintage nibs and also some nice inks and one simple oblique pen holder.

Really good oblique holders are only to be found in the US, at least after my research! Have a look at the adresses here

http://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?board=15.0

or of course the beautiful handcrafted pen holders from Brian Smith

http://www.etsy.com/shop/UniqueObliques.

I buy iron gall ink and walnut ink from the Schenks in Switzerland, they make them themself and they are wonderful to write with:

http://www.kalligraphie.ch/store/index.php/cat/c54_Inks.html

I guess most of the supplies that Erica listed can be found from blotspens, except the oblique holder and the walnut ink (but they have a sepia ink I would be curious to try!).

Stefanie

I found this reply super helpful when I was starting out Dora, hope this helps, I did get an oblique holder from blotspens, it's just the standard plastic model but it works just fine for me.  I know there are links to other European sites around the forum but I'm not sure where  ???

I haven't seen anyone mention a Budapest store yet though, sorry x
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 07:54:32 PM by NikkiB »
Nikki x

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2015, 05:38:46 AM »
Hello Dora.  :-)

I think the most comprehensive thread on this subject is here.

It's weighted towards the UK and Germany because it's mostly a list of the suppliers Estefa and I have used.  ;)  Really, all us Europeans ought to get together and compile a comprehensive list with a view to making a sticky topic.