Author Topic: Hi from Orange County, CA  (Read 1322 times)

Offline InkedPaws

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Hi from Orange County, CA
« on: May 09, 2018, 10:44:06 PM »
Hi everyone,

I am a calligraphy newbie. I hope to learn a lot from you guys!

I was attempting Copperplate for a few months then realized that I am more of a Spencerian person. I am here to learn more about the world of vintage nibs. So far my favorite nib is the John Mitchell 0138. It totally changed the way I write; I was finally able to make the contrasting thin and thick lines. I am trying to find more of this nib and more like it. I'm open to any recommendations. Thanks in advance.

This is a curiosity question. How many more security answers do I have to answer for them to go away? I am a newbie so I don't know the answers to most of them. I admit I had to google the answers to all of them.  :P

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Hi from Orange County, CA
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 11:10:59 PM »
Hi!
Well, you're doing great so far (answering the questions!).  ;D You should be just about done. Maybe one more.  ;)

You'll find lots of threads on vintage nibs. Check out the Tools and Supplies] Board.

Welcome!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 11:22:26 PM »
Welcome!  I, too, love the vintage nibs, although I spent years avoiding them because I didn't want to have to rely on something I couldn't easily find.  Silly me.  I haven't tried the Mitchell 0138... so many nibs to try!

Offline InkedPaws

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 09:47:04 PM »
Hi Erica, thanks for the link. I just checked it out. I looks like there are a few nibs that are "tried and true" and really popular on the forum.  I'll try some of those because I still don't have a clear idea of what my preferences are.

I spent the past few days roaming around the website. There is so much great info!

Hi Bianca, I think I might be in love with vintage nibs... I am going to try to bid for a sampler set on eBay.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 09:48:36 PM by InkedPaws »

Offline Jenafer

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 11:18:43 AM »
Welcome! I've been learning Copperplate for a few months now. I came across Spencerian after I started with copperplate, I have a feeling i'm going to be more of a spencerian person too but I'm tying to stay away until I get the foundations of copperplate down. I'm afraid I'll never go back and finish LOL.

This forum has been great, so many knowledgeable people with great tips.

ash0kgiri

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 03:06:38 AM »
Warm welcome @InkedPaws. :D