Author Topic: A category for foundational forms?  (Read 1560 times)

Offline FrenchBlue Joy

• yogini, calligraphiste*
    • View Profile
    • Studio French Blue
A category for foundational forms?
« on: January 16, 2014, 09:53:51 AM »
It occurs to me that this might be a good idea...  Personally, I have to put together a wedding dinner menu in very classic copperplate/roundhand, and it could be good to have a helpful critique corner for these kinds of foundational styles...  ESPECIALLY because they have tried and true "rules", and critiquing them is pretty cut and dry... 

For those following exclusively modern or contemporary examples, it could be an introduction to the classic rules of thumb...

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: A category for foundational forms?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 02:16:10 PM »
Hi Joy,
Initially, I felt like the entire forum is really dedicated to traditional calligraphy. But I can see where with a separate category for modern calligraphy, there really should be someplace where people can discuss specifics in regard to the serious study of calligraphy.

So I have set up this board: Classic Calligraphy - All Things Traditional.

I would like to know your thoughts in terms of the title. I would like to stay away from the term Foundational to avoid confusion because that is a specific style of broad edge pen.

It feels awkward to label it "Classic Calligraphy" because really until this point, all calligraphy is classic -- except of course now, modern calligraphy!

In any event, I hope this is what you were looking for!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline FrenchBlue Joy

• yogini, calligraphiste*
    • View Profile
    • Studio French Blue
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 04:55:42 PM »
Hmm, yes I see what you mean. Well, how about a Copperplate section and a different Spencerian section?  They're quite different hands.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 05:03:32 PM »
Hmmm... True!

My initial reaction is that I want to try to avoid too many categories with fewer topics.

However, it does seem like those would warrant their own boards. And even italic should, too.

Thanks Joy! I will go do that!  ;)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram