Author Topic: Supply drive for the Philippines  (Read 8627 times)

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
  • all your gold are belong to me
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
Re: Supply drive for the Philippines
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2014, 08:36:29 PM »
I haven't contributed because it would be silly to import to Australia and then send out again, but I want to be part of it in spirit ... Joi, you are so sweet and so kind, please don't be discouraged by a few suspicious outsiders.  The calligraphy community is so friendly and welcoming and I'd hate to see that disappear. ♥ ♥ ♥

Offline joi

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • www.bienfaitcalligraphy.com
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2014, 08:41:17 PM »
moya - you are included in spirit girl!!!

been doing more thinking...and i am an idiot.  i did not put any plan in place or gave any thought to what i was asking.  of course there has to be a certain amount of transparency...where will my donation go?  who is going to benefit?  what are you asking for in terms of donation?  i didn't think of any of this.  and while i feel like i "know" a lot of you, there are hundreds of people out there that i don't know and don't "know" me.  lesson learned let me tell you!!!

Offline Nickkih

• Be Brave
    • View Profile
    • Amore Paper and Ink
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2014, 09:50:28 PM »
Joi totally not trying to take your lesson from you. But honestly anyone who reads the forum knows that you are a regular who is very helpful, honest and sweet. Seriously all that needed to be said was "hey have you thought about doing a drive for such and such country? Could we do it together?" Joi in my humble opinion and I'm NOT the only one - YOU DID NOTHING WRONG! Sure maybe the details needed to be worked out but that's normal. We all back you 100% and I agree 100% with Chris Yoke on all that he said. This is a honest community and especially on this forum and I was surprised at the reaction you received for your efforts.

But going forward your right let's stay positive and move forward  and be happy 😊

Nickki
Mom, Grandma, and Calligrapher

Offline YokePenCo

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2014, 10:24:10 PM »
But going forward your right let's stay positive and move forward and be happy

Agreed, sometimes when I speak my mind it's a little rough around the edges, but no harm intended, truly.

(Just ask my wife when I give honest answers to the "How do these jeans make my butt look?" question)  :o :o <---my face as she smacks me, lol

I'm stubborn and opinionated, but I learned long ago to be honest, even when it may hurt a little.
Christopher J. Yoke
www.yokepencompany.com

Offline Nickkih

• Be Brave
    • View Profile
    • Amore Paper and Ink
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2014, 10:30:56 PM »
Oh Chris the jeans comment made me laugh out loud. My husband always says " I'm not answering that question!" But I still smack him. Lol

Offline Faeleia

• Bloop
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2014, 11:10:11 PM »

(Just ask my wife when I give honest answers to the "How do these jeans make my butt look?" question)
The eternal trap question. Hmm. I'm also rather straight-forward myself with things, so I have learnt the art of being vague but not untrue when I give opinions. :P

How about a philosophical answer, like 'It's not about how it looks but how it feels. A happy butt puts a smile on any pair of jeans, a miserable butt will reflect as such. Have a sit down and ask your bum how it feels about being in this pair of jeans and how it can reach its best potential?"

Nikkih has the right answer :P

;D
[ / topic derailment]

Offline Nickkih

• Be Brave
    • View Profile
    • Amore Paper and Ink
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2014, 11:16:11 PM »
Man I giggled for 5 mins after I read this. So true

(Just ask my wife when I give honest answers to the "How do these jeans make my butt look?" question)
The eternal trap question. Hmm. I'm also rather straight-forward myself with things, so I have learnt the art of being vague but not untrue when I give opinions. :P

How about a philosophical answer, like 'It's not about how it looks but how it feels. A happy butt puts a smile on any pair of jeans, a miserable butt will reflect as such. Have a sit down and ask your bum how it feels about being in this pair of jeans and how it can reach its best potential?"

Nikkih has the right answer :P

;D
[ / topic derailment]

Offline joi

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2014, 07:42:01 AM »

Agreed, sometimes when I speak my mind it's a little rough around the edges, but no harm intended, truly.

(Just ask my wife when I give honest answers to the "How do these jeans make my butt look?" question)  :o :o <---my face as she smacks me, lol

I'm stubborn and opinionated, but I learned long ago to be honest, even when it may hurt a little.

ok, not touching the jeans part ;)

Mr. Yoke - your thoughts and opinions are pretty much right on target and the opposite of rough around the edges to me, very well spoken and intelligently articulated.  where i'm at the opposite end with f^&% off you (&^$% (&^$$!  i have earned the moniker "asian dragon" from my husband, and for good reason.  i go full throttle in 2 seconds flat. 

one of my fav quotes...and i should calligraph this today...gives me a smile every time tee hee!

"negativity is like clouds that pass across the sun, and…they will pass. They’re just feelings. And it’s important not to dwell on them, just move past it. "

« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 07:45:26 AM by joi »

Offline FrenchBlue Joy

• yogini, calligraphiste*
    • View Profile
    • Studio French Blue
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2014, 09:40:15 AM »
What a great idea and so nice of you to organize, Joi! 

I'm one of those who would have to ship from Europe to the US in order to participate in this supply drive, which doesn't make much sense.  However, if you get wind of any particular supplies which are needed, I wouldn't mind placing an order with PIA and having it shipped to you!  Something light, like some Nikko G nibs, maybe?

Offline joi

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2014, 08:59:06 AM »
hello all - i'm going to close this drive.  i have received some packages from you already, thank you so much!!!  if you have PM'd me i will await your parcel and update you when it has arrived.  i will also update when the parcel to Gail gets sent out. 
thanks all so much for your generosity!!!
xo,
joi

Offline Kaye

• Freshman Member
  • 💙calligraphy and watercolor, always learning!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2014, 10:46:23 AM »
Thanks so much for organizing this Joi! Sorry I missed out on it. 

Over the last  several months I've been so inspired by the sharing of knowledge, tips, examples, techniques, excitement and encouragement by the calligraphers in the Philippines on IG that I too have felt that I should send them supplies as it so much harder for them to get supplies quickly than it is for me.  They are so deserving and you are wonderful too for getting this done!
Thanks, Kaye
 💙 
Instagram.com/kayescolorsandcalligraphy

Offline elsa.d

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2014, 01:57:22 AM »

also, for anyone in the US...you can cut a piece of cardboard to fit into a standard envelope.  put your nibs inside the cardboard, put a regular stamp on it and put it in the post to me.  easy peasy!

Silly question, but how exactly do you put nibs inside the cardboard???

Offline joi

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2014, 07:16:17 AM »
elsa - you slide a nib in between the cells. depending on the size of the nib, sometimes i will use a screwdriver or similar to widen the cells a bit. 

also as an update to all - i think i have received all the parcels from you guys!  thanks soooo much!  some of you send funds for postage/supplies so i am going to shop on PIA today.  parcel to Gail should be in the mail by the end of this week or early next week!  you guys have been sooooo generous many many thanks to you all!!!
happy sunday,
xo,
joi

Offline Suzie L

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2014, 09:17:01 AM »
I'm late to this thread but wanted to add my 2 cents which is: if there is another calligraphy group out there in a different country which doesn't have good access to calligraphy supplies, by all means, make yourselves known and start participating regularly in the Forum. I'm sure once the FF members get to know you, if there is a serious need, the same generous spirit could be applied to your group. Seems that people here are more than willing to share what extra calligraphy supplies they have and spend extra time and money to part with it, without any expectation of any personal return.

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2014, 12:07:15 PM »
Really great point Susie! I've shared extra nibs with a few "calligraphy sisters" in Asia because it's difficult for them to get supplies.