Author Topic: I have come to the dark side  (Read 6518 times)

Offline Carina_I

• View Profile
Re: I have come to the dark side
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2015, 03:13:26 PM »
Good heavens - I am learning a lot.  Thank you for your admirably clear explanation, and for the compliment on my hat.  I am now :) again.

I am glad you are  :) again. That makes me :). And I'm glad my explanation makes sense, even though it is very silly  ;D Haha, just kidding :P

Offline AmyNeub

• View Profile
    • 5th Floor Designs & Calligraphy
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2015, 03:45:59 PM »
You should have called it, "I have come to the light side" since Spencerian is a lighter hand than Copperplate/Round Hand.

Good luck. Use pencil for a long time, then non-shaded pointed pen. IMO, a page of running oval drills will help out your letters, than a page of letters any day.

Offline Carina_I

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2015, 08:14:43 PM »
You should have called it, "I have come to the light side" since Spencerian is a lighter hand than Copperplate/Round Hand.

Good luck. Use pencil for a long time, then non-shaded pointed pen. IMO, a page of running oval drills will help out your letters, than a page of letters any day.

That is true (about Spencerian being a lighter hand) but if I called it 'the light side,' then it would have been like I was on the bad guy side. And that just can't happen.  :)

Thank you for your suggestion. I have actually already started with using a pencil (0.7 mm mechanical pencil). It's weird how I can write Spencerian with a pencil which would be like a straight penholder. Does that mean I can't write Spencerian using an oblique penholder?

Also, when you say 'oval drills,' do you mean the lettre 'O' sort of ovals or the oval that are found in lettres 'a,' 'd,' etc.

I am just wondering because the lettre O and the ovals found in the aforementioned lettres look different.

Thank you for answering all my questions

Offline AmyNeub

• View Profile
    • 5th Floor Designs & Calligraphy
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2015, 08:18:47 PM »
Like the example on the right hand side. Taken from Ames' Guide http://www.iampeth.com/pdf/ames-guide-self-instruction-practical-and-artistic-penmanship

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2015, 03:35:18 AM »
Does that mean I can't write Spencerian using an oblique penholder?

Au contraire - many people find it a great help.  Although Spencerian had been around for quite a while before oblique holders they were adopted with enthusiasm by professional penmen.  Of course there were diehards who regarded this as cheating and further proof that the world was going to hell in a handcart, and wrote indignant letters to that effect to the penmanship journals.  It's my ambition to achieve that level of grumpiness myself when I grow up, but the straight vs. oblique argument is pretty much settled now.  Just use whichever you prefer.

On drills, are you aware of Schin's Youtube channel?  It's worth subscribing.  A year ago or so she uploaded a series of "Pointed Pen Calligraphy 101" videos which are really helpful and thorough.  The one on drills is here.