Author Topic: If you could have...  (Read 2599 times)

Offline SunnyMoni

• View Profile
If you could have...
« on: February 07, 2016, 09:15:23 PM »
If you could have any one calligraphy-related item, what would that be? Cost doesn't matter, rareity does. So it must be able to be something that is at least obtainable.
Monica

Offline melanie jane

• View Profile
    • English Pen Crafts
Re: If you could have...
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 09:20:38 PM »
Umm, talent...can I have that?

If not, I guess a room dedicated to calligraphy and crafty type things.  Oh, and a couple of boxes of dream nibs.

Permanently distracted making penholders

English Pen Crafts  Instagram

Offline Jamie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 09:26:32 PM »
A steam-punk inspired custom oblique holder. With gears, likely painted, on a section of it.

A custom made craft area wouldn't hurt either but that's less specific to calligraphy for me since I'd use that for anything craft/art related which I do a lot of.

Offline evjo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 10:03:44 PM »
A pen friend who lived near me.  That's what I'd like.  Someone to hang out with and talk about scripts and flourishing.  Who could show me what I'm doing wrong.  While laughing.
Ev

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 09:20:36 AM »

If not, I guess a room dedicated to calligraphy and crafty type things.  Oh, and a couple of boxes of dream nibs.

Talent may be limited by its rarity. :)

(But I like the answer and wish to appropriate it for myself)

Otherwise, really good, antique paper. I'm talking the fine stuff from the 19th-century. Like some of the Royal Irish Linen paper they made from scraps from the Irish linen mills I see advertised in the old journals. May also be limited by rarity.

How about a beautiful old writing desk with lots of pigeon holes, and a wafer-thin mint OLED light screen carefully inlaid into the surface with a yielding, transparent surface on top of the screen? Turn off the light, and it looks like a writing desk with a writing surface. Turn it on and it's a light box built into a massive old writing desk. (don't forget the pigeon holes, and a secret compartment or two).  Not rare, just very expensive.

Oh, and room to hold the massive writing desk, but I guess that's two things. Oh, what do I need a dining table for?

I'm sure my wife would go along with that. Don't you?

Andrew
Check out my steel pen history blog
https://thesteelpen.com/

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 10:37:23 AM »
I'm with Andrew: lots of old high quality paper, and a herd's worth of vellum.  I'm not much bothered about tools these days, more with materials.

Offline SunnyMoni

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 12:07:50 PM »

Talent may be limited by its rarity. :)

(But I like the answer and wish to appropriate it for myself)

Otherwise, really good, antique paper. I'm talking the fine stuff from the 19th-century. Like some of the Royal Irish Linen paper they made from scraps from the Irish linen mills I see advertised in the old journals. May also be limited by rarity.

How about a beautiful old writing desk with lots of pigeon holes, and a wafer-thin mint OLED light screen carefully inlaid into the surface with a yielding, transparent surface on top of the screen? Turn off the light, and it looks like a writing desk with a writing surface. Turn it on and it's a light box built into a massive old writing desk. (don't forget the pigeon holes, and a secret compartment or two).  Not rare, just very expensive.

Oh, and room to hold the massive writing desk, but I guess that's two things. Oh, what do I need a dining table for?

I'm sure my wife would go along with that. Don't you?

Andrew

As far as the writing desk goes, Craigslist can be your best friend! My husband found an antique writing desk for me for $40. That center piece lifts out so he measured it out to convert that section to a light table. You can use LED light strips and a sheet of acrylic or plexiglass for that part if you can find the right thicknesses. Plus, it's then interchangeable with the leather piece that goes in the center. Anyways, that item is more than likely possible BUT it's not a huge writing desk. We haven't set it up yet to convert to a light table so I'm totally with you on that one.

That'd be the one thing I want right now out of anything. That or a custom pen holder.
Monica

Offline prasad

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 10:36:31 PM »
Very simple wants here. There are loads of stuff I would love to hoard but since you said just one....

Christopher Yoke Custom Oblique Holder made from exotic burls.  ;D ;D

How about a beautiful old writing desk with lots of pigeon holes,

Have my grandfathers desk and chair for this, minus the light screen.  Couldn't possibly cut into the desk to fit out a light screen  ;D

And I guess if I could have just one more thing....  "Make shipping to India cheap "  ;D

Happy hoarding
-Prasad
Never be afraid to try something new
Remember - An amateur built the Ark and Professionals built the Titanic
My Instagram

Offline flummoxed

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 11:36:41 PM »
+1 to what Prasad just said, just make shipping to India cheaper!

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 05:18:00 AM »
The desk I got to write on at Louis Vuitton when I did their christmas calligraphy.

And all the Esterbrook 357s.
Natascha
My Instagram

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 04:56:13 PM »
Every single day I dream of a dedicated space for my studio, preferably a basement under my home with its own separate work rooms and sink area. Maybe one table for packing/mounting/cutting art and prints, one table for sealing wax and other crafty stuff, a large table for actual calligraphy and art work, and a large library space with a separate chair. And while I'm still dreaming, maybe another space just for display of the vintage art and books I own.

Right now I am working out of a tiny bedroom in my 3 bedroom house, and calligraphy and work stuff is spilling out all over the house. Thank goodness my boyfriend Ken doesn't mind, but I dislike having to use the guest bedroom to do packing and cutting, and using the garage as storage and wax sealing area. Worse, I use my guest bedroom bathroom sink so it's always dirty with sumi and paint. I love calligraphy, but I am getting a little tired of being immersed in it 24/7.

I know some of you guys work out of kitchen tables, and I don't know how you do it! Yikes!
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline kathleenprumo

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Sincerely Designed
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 04:58:47 PM »
A steam-punk inspired custom oblique holder. With gears, likely painted, on a section of it.

A custom made craft area wouldn't hurt either but that's less specific to calligraphy for me since I'd use that for anything craft/art related which I do a lot of.

You can get one with REAL gears from Christopher Yoke! Check out his work: http://www.yokepencompany.com/

Here's a link to an image of one of his pens with watch parts inlaid: https://picasaweb.google.com/103800482334974094653/YokePenCoGallery?feat=embedwebsite#6172541021192119730

Offline Jamie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 09:11:33 PM »

You can get one with REAL gears from Christopher Yoke! Check out his work: http://www.yokepencompany.com/

Here's a link to an image of one of his pens with watch parts inlaid: https://picasaweb.google.com/103800482334974094653/YokePenCoGallery?feat=embedwebsite#6172541021192119730

See I remembered hearing of someone doing that. The issue was never my ability to get one, but my ability to stomach the cost especially for a functional device that is ultimately going to get worn and splattered with ink!