Author Topic: A Brief Introduction  (Read 1443 times)

Offline Warren

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
A Brief Introduction
« on: August 07, 2019, 12:12:45 PM »
Hello Everyone!!! This is my first post and I am so excited. Firstly I would like to thank Erica for helping me with the registration process as I wasn't able to complete that on my own. So thank you so much Erica!!!!  :) :)
I'm Warren and am professionally a merchant naval officer. I have always been interested in handwriting from an early age. I started of with D'nealian script which was taught in schools here in India. So being interested in handwriting obviously got me interested in calligraphy and in particular Copperplate because of its sheer beauty. After searching online I noticed that Copperplate (done with a burin) wasn't actually a written form and Engrosser's was the written script. I was aware of IAMPETH and their collection of rare books and I saw the Zanerian manual which is like the Bible for this script. So as a beginner I have just made baby steps in this script.
Hoping to learn a lot from people in this forum and I will share my progress as well.

Best Regards
Warren

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: A Brief Introduction
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 07:27:42 PM »
Welcome Warren!
The Zanerian Manual is a great place to start. We have a couple of tutorials here as well in the Pointed Pen Nirvana section. Calligraphy is a great pastime if you spend any time on board a ship. Let us know if you have questions as you go along.  ;D

Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Warren

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 07:37:57 AM »
In fact Erica I was contemplating on the idea of taking my materials out to the high seas when I get back onboard but I have a feeling that the vibration experienced while the ship is moving might not be conducive to this careful study. But since I have started I don't feel like being out of touch with it. Maybe I could do drills with a pencil which aren't that demanding.
You could suggest what I should take with me when getting back onboard in September. I really want to continue my study even if it is just for an hour a day out at sea. Your suggestions are welcome.

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 02:32:04 PM »
Warren,

Welcome to the forum! I've never stayed on board a boat longer than 52' so I can't imagine what your journeys are like, but I'm sure pencil drills, as you said, are quite doable!  Fortunately a pen, nib and small bottle of ink don't take up a tremendous amount of space, so if you felt like attempting that, I'm sure it'd be worth a try.  I am curious to see how it goes! :)

Enjoy your practice.

Offline KristinT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 12:23:48 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Warren!

Offline Warren

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 09:40:30 AM »
Hi Bianca ....You guys at the flourish forum are doing an awesome job keeping everything so alive and really flourishing. Yes usually my trips onboard are about 4-5 months duration. I will try taking a dip pen, nibs and some ink along to give it a try.
Hi Kristin...so happy to be part of this forum. :)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2019, 12:28:26 PM »
You may be interested in the new LED boards I have been using to practice. They are awesome! No paper, no ink, but gives a great pen & paper feel. Also helps teach whole arm & muscle movement. I got them on Amazon.

Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline KacyBG

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2019, 11:57:42 PM »
Warren, welcome to the forum!! There's so much to learn and enjoy in the archives.

Offline Warren

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2019, 08:21:32 AM »
Wow Erica, these LED boards are so awesome. Do they simulate the thick and thins required. I wonder if they are sold on India on Amazon.

Offline Warren

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2019, 08:24:25 AM »
Hi Kacy...it's so good to see so many people with a passion for this. I am still finding my way around.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2019, 03:07:42 PM »
Hi @Warren ,

Believe it or not, you can actually use a dry calligraphy pen on them! I have been using a NikkoG on mine and - no scratches! The thick is not too thick but you can definitely get the feel and feedback. The pointed nibs work better than broad edges though.  ;)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram