Author Topic: How to Mix Gouache  (Read 66172 times)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: How to Mix Gouache
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2014, 06:54:50 PM »
Heebs is right - once you develop a rhythm, it gets easier. Just be careful not to drop ink off the brush when loading the pen (never load it over your paper).
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2014, 04:16:26 AM »
I think that Gouache is wonderful and I use it all the time. I particularly love its consistency and opacity. It goes such a long way especially when thinned for writing, that I can afford to buy the best 'Artist's Grade' available.

I did this example to demonstrate the power and vibrancy of the colour. I deliberately made the hairlines a little thicker than usual, because I wanted them to show up. 

Excellent introductory video, by the way.  :)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2014, 06:25:00 PM »
Thanks Ken! Beautiful exemplar! I love the colors you used. And thank you for your kind words about the video. This one has been really popular and I cringe because the lighting is so bad. I am going to redo it at some point!  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline bluestockingpen

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Bluestocking Calligraphy
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2014, 06:43:48 PM »
Thanks for this video. And for the tip about distilled water! I didn't know that one, so I will definitely switch over. I've been using gouache for a while, but I still don't feel 100% confident with it. Thanks for the tips!
Bluestocking Calligraphy | Abby Farson Pratt | www.bluestockingpen.com

Offline MeganUnderlined

• Esse quam videri.
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2014, 01:02:02 PM »
Just have to say, Flourish Forum FTW! I was pondering my latest question-- How does one use gouache?-- and here is the answer! Right at my fingertips. With accompanying commentary and real-life tips and experience from so many angles. I can't explain how grateful I am to have found such a newbie-friendly, welcoming place to learn about calligraphy.  :) Gouache, here I come!
Calligraphy newbie and bibliophile, penning my (and your) favorite passages since December 2014

My Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2014, 12:24:10 AM »
Awe - thanks Megan! I'm so happy to read this ... you made my day!  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline imdcruz

• imdcruz
    • View Profile
    • girl [space] friend
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2014, 08:46:50 AM »
If i pre-mix gouache with water, will it still be viable after storage?
I am called Ia (eye-ya) but feel free to call me Ice. :)
http://instagram.com/imiacruz

Offline mary ellen

• View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Mary Ellen
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2014, 09:20:29 AM »
best to use distilled water with goauche if you want to store it,  otherwise mixing with tap water will create mold!

Offline Kat McLeod

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Golden Arrow Design Studio
« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2014, 01:07:22 PM »
Speaking of gouache, I found a pack of 24 colors by Daler Rowney at my local Walmart for $12.97!  ;D

They aren't super high quality, but if anyone is looking for gouache to try out for the first time or for gouache on a budget, this is a great option! I was very pleasantly surprised when I tested them out. I mainly use Windsor & Newton for commission projects, but I found these to be more than suitable for small projects and things that I didn't want to waste my more expensive gouache on.

Follow me on instagram: @goldenarrowdesignstudio

Offline federart

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2014, 02:43:53 PM »
Hi all,
I am looking for some pastel gouache.
Could you maybe recommend a supplier for it? Or would you prefer to mix it by your own?

By advance,
thank you.

Regards, Jen

Offline handmadeletters

• Janice Reyes
    • View Profile
    • Handmade Letters
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2014, 11:19:08 AM »
Thanks for the video--super, super helpful! And I use distilled water for Pearl Ex-based ink, but didn't know why I should exactly. Now I know and am glad that I just followed along without question.

So, my question is: can you resurrect really, really old gouache? I found a bunch of old tubes at my parents' house when I was there over Thanksgiving. And being the frugal, not wanting to waste anything--read, cheap--person that I am, I kept them for future use. These are probably almost 10 years old. From the looks of it, most of the tubes are dried out. With a little water and a lot of patience, is it still usable? What do you all think?

Thanks in advance for responses. :)

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2014, 12:43:14 PM »
I have taken dried gouache (rock hard) out of the tubes and put it in small containers and added distilled water and had it soften.
I don't know if it works with all pigments. And none of mine would have been more than about 5 years old at the time.
My favorite containers were old film canisters...but sadly, those have gone by the wayside.

Another thing to know about gouache is that reconstituted gouache always seems easier to use than gouache that is mixed, right out of the tube.
The very first time I used gouache for writing with nibs, we were told to mix up our little pans of gouache, first thing in the morning.
We did not get around to using it until later in the afternoon and I wondered why we had mixed it up, and then just let it dry out.
The instructor explained that letting the gouache rest a bit makes it better for nibs.
So, maybe it's an old wives tale - but, I seem to like my reconstituted gouache better than freshly mixed gouache.

Jean

Offline Amy Corrado

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2014, 03:36:47 PM »
So funny Jean, I am the same!  I'll mix up fresh gouache and then find that I like it better in the second day. I thought it was something to do with my mixing technique or how much I was mixing.  I generally do a full dinky dip worth of gouache-ink to work on project, but glad it is not just me :)

Offline Scarlet Blue

• I do joined up writing.
    • View Profile
    • Wonky Words
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2014, 03:45:40 PM »
I third that, Jean and Amy! My gouache is also better the next day, and I have also read somewhere that it's best to leave mixed gouache overnight.

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2015, 09:36:59 PM »
Sorry friends for digging up an old topic but I am having some trouble with my gouache. The down strokes are good but I can not see or barely see my up strokes. more water? More paint? BTW the nib is fine so I know that's not it.