Author Topic: Hello from Florida!  (Read 972 times)

Offline EricaR

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Hello from Florida!
« on: January 11, 2014, 10:27:34 PM »
Hello! I'm Erica, and very, very new to calligraphy. But I think I've found something that I have fallen in love with. My dad was a professional sign painter, so hand lettering has always been familiar to me, but I never took it on myself because I think I was always afraid of not being able to measure up to his abilities. It was such a silly idea, which he never encouraged, of course...he was always supportive of my creativity. But, I decided to face my unnecessary fear and give it a try. My dad is no longer with us, but I kind of feel like as I'm finding the aspects of life that I truly enjoy, it's so evident that I'm his daughter and how much like him I really am.
Anyway, I didn't mean to go on that emotional tangent. :) I'm married to my high school sweetheart and we have three great kids. I'm also in school for nursing, so it's a bit crazy around here sometimes!
I am looking forward to getting to know and learning along side everyone!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 10:43:51 PM by EricaR »
Erica R.
IG - Instagram.com/erue

Online Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from Florida!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 01:12:50 AM »
Hello Fellow Floridian and fellow Erica and fellow mom with three kids! (Not a nurse, but I am a homeopath.) Could we possibly have any more in common?!  ;D

Your story really touched me. I am glad you shared, too, as all three of my kids have a liking for art but are too intimidated to try calligraphy. I wonder if it is that fear of not measuring up. I'll have to gently investigate that with them.

It made me smile to read about how you are recognizing your dad within yourself. Similarly, consciously recognizing my love for my parents has allowed me to love myself, something which took a really long time. PHEW! Sorry - that's pretty deep for a calligraphy board!  :-*

Anyway, thank you for sharing with us and welcome to Flourish! I can't wait to hear about how it goes learning calligraphy!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram