Author Topic: Chermaine from Singapore  (Read 946 times)

Offline ChermaineS

• View Profile
    • Becoming Mummy
Chermaine from Singapore
« on: March 12, 2014, 11:52:28 PM »
Hi,
I am a stay at home mum and a freelance writer from Singapore, and am very new to calligraphy. I got interested in calligraphy because besides looking after my 15 month old, I was interested to get started on a new hobby. I have always been rather "crafty" and love doing DIY projects. But to be honest, calligraphy scares me, because I am a southpaw. Nonetheless, I see this as a challenge and hope to embark on this journey to create beautiful hand lettering worthy of my walls at home.

I'm looking forward to learning more from you and to learn through some tutorials. As it is, I am rather clueless where to start. I got myself a pointed nib, a holder, some ink, some paper and the Modern Calligraphy book. After my first attempt, I realised I don't even know the proper way to hold the pen or if I am doing it correctly.

Excited to virtual meet everyone in this forum.

Cheers,

Chermaine
www.becomingmam.com
www.dayre.me/chermsee

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Chermaine from Singapore
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 03:15:02 PM »
Hi Chermaine!

Welcome! Calligraphy is a great hobby as you can use it for so many different things. The learning is limitless, and I find the practice to be somewhat meditative (if all is going well!).  :D

I think you will find lots of good info to help you get started. There are some great threads for lefties, too. Although it isn't great, try using the search feature. It brings better results if you only put in one word like "leftie."

Let us know if you have any questions as you learn.  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram