Author Topic: Stationary stores in Japan  (Read 3591 times)

Offline aliceedang

• View Profile
    • Instagram
Stationary stores in Japan
« on: March 07, 2016, 01:11:16 AM »
Hi all! I'm going to Japan for a week in April and would love suggestions on places or stores to visit where I can buy (hoard really) inks, nibs, handmade paper, pigments, everything calligraphy ;D Oh and I guess places to see and eat would be nice too :P hehe thank you in advance!

Offline Sarah O

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Re: Stationary stores in Japan
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 10:51:53 PM »
Hi Alice, thats so exciting!
Where abouts are you going for your week in Japan? Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka etc? If I know where you're going I can probably give some more specific examples  :) April is a fantastic time to be in Japan, you might even get to see some cherry blossoms depending on where you are visiting, I'm very jealous!!

Offline Suzie L

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 09:33:39 PM »
Hi Alice,

Here are a few of my favorite stationery stores in Tokyo with a huge focus being on Japanese handmade washi paper because that is what I was stocking up on at the time. You will want to check the internet before you go for the latest address (a couple of these shops had moved from their original locations the last time I went back several years ago), public transit directions, and hours. Many shops are closed on at least one weekday. Some of the larger train station also have stationery stores in them and I've found some nice items unexpectedly this way.

Ito-ya Ginza - literally my favorite stationery store in the world, complete stationery overload, multiple floors, allot at least a couple of hours to look at everything. There's an entire floor of Japanese washi paper, and another floor of fountain pens. You might find calligraphy items on the fountain pen floor (my interest in calligraphy hadn't started yet when I last visited). Check out this article about the new Itoya after it went through a recent renovation: http://mcha-jp.com/14032

Haibara: beautiful washi paper and stationery, http://www.haibara.co.jp/en/

Kurodaya: washi paper, stationery items and gifts, not sure if they have a website (I just quickly Googled), the last address I have for them is 111-0032 1-2-5 Asakusa, close to the big temple

Ozu-washi: washi paper store and museum, last time I was there they also had washi paper making demonstrations, http://www.ozuwashi.net/english

Bos and Needle: beautiful boxes of all sizes covered in washi paper, boxandneedle.com

Sekaido Shinjuku: I haven't been here but Maybelle Imasa-Stukuls likes this store for calligraphy items, http://www.timeout.com/tokyo/shopping/sekaido-shinjuku

As far as where to eat, I think it's difficult to go wrong. There are many great ramen shops, to the basement floors of department stores covered in beautiful a la carte food items and bento boxes, to Michelin starred restaurants. If you like sushi, the Tsukiji fish market experience is hard to beat and you can have sushi for breakfast as long as you're still jet-lagged and up anyway.

Have a wonderful and fun trip. I think if you visit all of these stores, or even just a few, you will leave significantly poorer.

Offline Michellie

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 10:13:36 PM »
Hi Alice,

Sekkaido is really good to get artsy and calligraphy stuff. love that shop.

Didnt manage to come here but you should check them out:-

Have a wonderful time in Japan!
Michellie

Ig: @chelliesz

Offline aliceedang

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 01:23:56 AM »
Omg thank you all! We get 2 days to explore Tokyo and I'm spending the first day visiting all those stationery stores  ;D

Hi Alice, thats so exciting!
Where abouts are you going for your week in Japan? Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka etc? If I know where you're going I can probably give some more specific examples  :) April is a fantastic time to be in Japan, you might even get to see some cherry blossoms depending on where you are visiting, I'm very jealous!!

Hi Sarah! I'll be in Tokyo the whole trip  :)

Offline cvcrossing

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 10:16:54 PM »
Definitely YES to Ito-ya and Sekkaido. So many options to choose from. I am so envious!  ;)

I was just there this past week but didn't get to visit Chronicle Books JP which supposedly sells Maybelle Imasa- Stukuls' calligraphy kit :(

Enjoy Tokyo!
Christine

Offline Sheed-o

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 03:32:42 PM »
When will you be in Tokyo Alice?? I'm also going! I will be there from the 19th to the 4th of May! If you've already returned, let me know how it was and if you have any more recommendations!!
IG: @msheedo

Offline cvcrossing

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 09:09:58 PM »
Christine

Offline Sarah O

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 10:38:43 PM »
Oops sorry I took a little while to reply! Everyone else has covered a lot of the great stationery stores in Tokyo, I've noted a few down as well to visit on my next trip :)
There is also a great little shop in Yanaka called Isetatsu where I bought some beautiful handmade washi paper the last time I was in Tokyo. Plus, Yanaka is a gorgeous old area and there are so many cats the locals look after that are just hanging out the front of stores and along the streets!

Hope you have an amazing time  :)