Author Topic: Dropbox anyone?  (Read 4376 times)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Dropbox anyone?
« on: June 04, 2015, 10:54:41 PM »
OK, I am pretty good at computer stuff so I don't know why this program stumps me. With dropbox - it would make sense if the folders I have created automatically updated when I add new files. But it doesn't seem like this happens.

For example, I have a file called "quotes" and have added that file to my dropbox folder on my desktop. When I add a new file to my regular "quotes" folder, it doesn't automatically add it to the dropbox "quote" folder. I have to add it.

Is this how it works or am I not doing it right?

Thanks!  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Jamie

• View Profile
Re: Dropbox anyone?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 11:21:23 PM »
Unfortunately that is how Dropbox works. It has it's own folder and unless you manually put things within it's folder, it doesn't update them based on similarly named folders elsewhere on your computer.

I searched for a very long time before I finally found a cloud service whose software works in such a way that you don't have to use their pre-designated folder that it'll sync the folders you select for it to from your main file system. Syncplicity is the only service I've found that functions this way by default.

If you really want to stick to dropbox but would like to get that functionality there are two options. You can look into a third party software called Boxifier that's decent and I used up until I found Syncplicity. You could also look into the more technical option of creating what I believe are called symbolic links, which is a way to have the folder technically in the Dropbox folder but have it show up among your regular user folders.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 11:36:44 PM »
Thank you so much Moif! At least I know it isn't my brain that is defunct! LOL! This is really helpful.  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Jamie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 08:27:12 AM »
Your welcome! Glad I could help out. :)

Offline Andrew H

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 12:00:27 PM »
Yes, unfortunately your Dropbox folder is just like any other folder on your machine, it just happens to sync with a server elsewhere. So when you added the quotes folder you were essentially just copying it to a new location and the copy in your Dropbox has no clue the first version exists.

Are you using a Mac? If you're willing to do a fairly basic terminal command you can set up a symlink between the two folders.
Andrew

@andrewdh

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 01:07:59 PM »
I love Dropbox and use it for clients, but I would also like to use it for personal stuff too.. I wonder if it's 'safe?' If I put it in a different dropbox folder, can my clients or anyone else snoop in it?
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline Jamie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 02:11:32 PM »
I love Dropbox and use it for clients, but I would also like to use it for personal stuff too.. I wonder if it's 'safe?' If I put it in a different dropbox folder, can my clients or anyone else snoop in it?

It depends entirely on how you're currently using Dropbox, and how you're sharing things with clients.
As long as you're not giving them your Dropbox username and password, then yes, it's possible to have 'safe' folders, or rather any folder in your root dropbox folder (or that's at the root when you look at it online), can't be seen by anyone else unless you specifically designate for it to be shared with someone.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 02:16:49 PM »
Thanks Andrew - that helps me understand how it works. I'm on PC. At first I thought maybe I would just set up my entire drive under the dropbox folder so as I am creating new files, folders, etc. they are automatically in the dropbox and will sync. But I feel like I'm too far into the game to do that! LOL! Plus there are often things I don't want to end up synced (like the 200 images I took of a single subject when I only need 1 final).  ;)

Right now, when I'm done working, I go to my folders, sort by date, and anything with the current date I drag over. I suppose this will work for the time being.  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Andrew H

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2015, 06:30:32 PM »
Yeah, setting your entire drive to Dropbox would probably end in trouble! I have seen people use their Documents folder as their Dropbox one.

It is possible to set up a symlink in Windows too, but I don't think I've ever done it there so would be less confident giving you instructions. This guide seems good, if you want to give it a go: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/
Andrew

@andrewdh