Author Topic: How to Use a Small Lightbox  (Read 5536 times)

Offline garyn

• View Profile
How to Use a Small Lightbox
« on: April 12, 2014, 11:58:32 AM »
I don't know if this should be a new thread or not.
But HOW do you use a light box.
What I mean is mine has an 11x12 flat surface, so my hand has a support, but not my forearm.
The way I learned to write was to lay my forearm on the table/desk and use the muscle under the forearm as a pivoting point.  Pushing and pulling to form the letters, but the weight of arm is supported by the forearm.
In my case, because of tendonitis, I cannot just let my arm hang in mid-air as I write, I have to support my arm.
Gary

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: How to Use a Small Light box
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 11:31:13 PM »
Hi Gary,
I renamed this and moved it to "How To" because I think it is a very good question and I didn't want it lost. I'm hoping others will chime in because I use a large light box for this very reason. Even still, I work more in the upper left corner so my arm is supported.

I also tend to lean on my left hand with my elbow on the table just to the left of the light box. This takes some of the pressure off my right arm/hand as I write but leads to terrible posture issues and is really bad form.

Maybe a bolster of some sort could be used to bring your arm up to the same level as the light box.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline YokePenCo

• View Profile
Re: How to Use a Small Lightbox
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 12:42:43 AM »
What about this, used backwards , would provide a ramp up to the height maybe? Came up with it by searching ergonomic mouse rest

http://xfxforce.com/en-us/Featured/Why-WarPad.aspx
Christopher J. Yoke
www.yokepencompany.com

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 04:20:02 AM »
I am curious – why do so many use a lightbox at all? I mean for normal practice?

I can understand the need for one for envelope adressing, or when tracing a complicated layout in pencil on thicker paper / cardboard – but for normal practice I find that usual paper with 60 to 80 g / m2 is translucent enough to let guidelines show through. I never use a lightbox exept for the occasions I just mentioned. Also because I completely understand your issue, Garyn – a small box will give an akward posture, and I find a big one as I own not comfortable, just all that light all the time! (Plus mine is very old and about 15 cm high, so I have to use a higher chair etc.)

But I am aware that a lot of people seem to be very fond of lightboxes ;)!
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline YokePenCo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 08:30:07 AM »
I'm in the same boat with you Estefa, I rarely use a lightbox. Of course I don't do big complicated pieces either and everything I do is just for my enjoyment . I practice, write letters and address envelopes primarily.
Christopher J. Yoke
www.yokepencompany.com

Offline Blotbot

• Super Hero Member
  • Follow your bliss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 10:22:24 AM »
Mayde a book to rest your arm on?

Offline garyn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 12:33:05 PM »
With me being a novice, I'm still bumbling around.
What brought the light box up was people on FPN were/are fond of the HP 32# Premium paper.  So I got a ream to try out.  Well the paper is nice, but it is heavy enough that I could not see my guide sheet under it at all.  And without a guidesheet, I can't write a level or straight line.  Then I found the light box thread "light bulb goes on" ah ha, that is my solution to the guidelines.  And I have a light box for my photo work.
Then I tried it yesterday, but because my light box is 3 inches thick/tall, the work surface is way above the desktop, and I realized that my arm was not supported, not good for my tendonitis  :(   So I figured those of you that do use a light box have probably solved this problem.

Blotbot, I think your idea of a stack of books to support my arm is the only practical one for me, short of buying a larger light box/pad.

Estefa, Yours is 15cm high, and I thought mine was thick.  Mine is 3 inches/7.5cm high, half as thick as yours. 

thanks all
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 12:42:49 PM by garyn »
Gary

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 02:01:53 PM »
Well. I just measured it, it's 12 cm. I think it's the Stegosaurus of all light boxes, I bought it about 10 years ago used in Ebay, it looks like photosetting equipment from the sixties ;D. I bought it for illustration; it really works not for writing.

Good luck, I hope the book works for you!
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline ewigginton

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 03:27:39 PM »
I use a light box for exactly the reason Garyn mentioned; I can't see the guidelines through the HP practice paper I use. I really don't notice an issue with my light box. If I need to add flourishes, I'll take it off the light box and add them while able to use my whole arm motion on the desktop. I like the incline the box provides however it isn't nearly as tall as those mentioned. Maybe 2" max?

Ellen

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 04:11:10 PM »
I almost always use mine. I feel kinda lost without it.

Offline YokePenCo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 05:55:53 PM »
Something else to consider, this is a paper suggested to me many many times. It is my practice paper, at 28lb you can see the guidelines without a light box, it is super smooth, cheap and has never bled with any ink I have ever put on it.

Hammermill Color Copy Digital, 28lb (the one with an apple on it)

Christopher J. Yoke
www.yokepencompany.com

Offline Blotbot

• Super Hero Member
  • Follow your bliss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 06:44:39 PM »
HP also makes 24 lb paper that is nice.

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2014, 07:01:34 PM »
Something else to consider, this is a paper suggested to me many many times. It is my practice paper, at 28lb you can see the guidelines without a light box, it is super smooth, cheap and has never bled with any ink I have ever put on it.

Something you can pick up at the office supply store?

Offline garyn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2014, 07:17:05 PM »

Something you can pick up at the office supply store?

Got mine at Office Depot, I think Staples has it also.
Gary

Offline YokePenCo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2014, 10:47:13 PM »
Yep my Staples always has it, like $15.00 per ream or so
Christopher J. Yoke
www.yokepencompany.com