Author Topic: Mixing Inks  (Read 4550 times)

Offline MomofFour

• View Profile
Mixing Inks
« on: January 09, 2016, 09:04:40 AM »
Just curious. What is the best way to make new colours? I know I can use gouache, but what about adding Dr. Martin's or McCaffery's white or something to a coloured ink to lighten it up? Also, can you mix two colours of the same brand of ink to make new colours? Can any ink be added to white gouache to make new colours? Also, possibly stupid question, can you add waterclours to gouache and make new colours? In what situations do you need to add gum arabic? I add it with pearl ex, I understand you need to add it to gouache, but what if you're adding ink to gouache?
  Thank you all for your time and information.  ;D
Homeschooling Mom of Four, hoping and praying to become good at calligraphy!
https://instagram.com/4blessingsfromgod/

Offline Elizabeth O.

• View Profile
    • Elizabeth Oxenfeld
Re: Mixing Inks
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 09:57:13 AM »
In my experience, I've been most successful with keeping same with same - mix gouache with gouache, brand with same brand. 

I've never had any success mixing Dr. Martin's Bleedproof White with anything but water...the mixed product always ends up getting chalky and cracks when dried.

That being said, I don't have a whole lot of experience with ink mixing and it absolutely doesn't hurt to experiment in small batches!  ;)

Hope this helps!!

Can't wait to hear what other forumers suggest!
All my best -- Elizabeth O.

Website | Instagram

Offline elsa.d

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 11:04:45 PM »
Acrylic inks will not generally mix well with anything other than acrylics, in my experience anyhow. Bleedproof white mixes fine with gouache for me, but not with anything else I've tried. Sumi inks have been tricky to mix with as well. I haven't found anything that won't mix with PearlEx.

Offline Jamie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 11:34:26 PM »
I will reiterate what the others said, mixing same with same is best.

EXCEPT for PearlEx, like Elsa said. I throw that into everything else like no tomorrow. A little silver sparkle here, some gold shine there, Let's make that black ink look like it's got stars in it.

Typically if I add PearlEx to anything that already binds well with paper I don't need to add any gum arabic to it. BUT I will usually do a test first, and make sure it flows well. If I have any trouble with flow or with the sparkles staying down, then I'll add a smidge of gum arabic, but not as much as you would when making a purely pearlEx ink. From my experience.

Offline MomofFour

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 03:29:30 PM »
Good information!! I can't thank you all enough. I LOVE colours, but sometimes I just want a darker or lighter shade and not everything has a white you can mix it with. In that vain though, I saw white sumi ink on John Neal's website, can you then mix white sumi ink with black and get shades of grey?

Offline elsa.d

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 11:40:46 PM »
I'm not sure, but I have tried mixing 2 different brands of black sumi together and it was a disaster.

Offline MomofFour

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 07:34:16 AM »
good to know!

Offline JohnNealBooks

• View Profile
    • John Neal Books
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 08:10:59 AM »
The white sumo does not mix well with others.  Generally, mix within the same brand only. 

Offline evjo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 09:38:13 AM »
I've not tried this, but I know someone who mixes gouache with Dr Martins to get colors. 
Ev

Offline Judy G

• I can be bribed with cookies and ice cream.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 10:26:15 AM »
I've mixed Dr Ph Martin's iridescent silver & copperplate gold with bombay india inks (turquoise, crimson, tangerine, and grass green). Moon palace sumi and copperplate gold works, too :) Attached are some samples. :)
Judy G [joo-dee]
food blog | instagram | twitter

Offline ericp

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2016, 09:58:59 AM »
I've mixed Dr Ph Martin's iridescent silver & copperplate gold with bombay india inks (turquoise, crimson, tangerine, and grass green). Moon palace sumi and copperplate gold works, too :) Attached are some samples. :)
OMG Judy this is so fantastic!  I love the crimson and green laced with iridescence!  Thanks for sharing!

Offline rabbitship

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2016, 10:36:14 AM »

Judy, those are stunning! Thanks for sharing (:
♥ Mag

Instagram: @folkandfoxy | Carousell: Calligrapy Supplies in Singapore