Author Topic: Newbie - broad edge calligraphy  (Read 1165 times)

Offline Loppetz

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Newbie - broad edge calligraphy
« on: April 07, 2019, 12:32:42 PM »
Hi everyone,

I am new to calligraphy of all styles, but I am really interested in learning some styles of broad edge, e.g. black letter/gothic and roman. I have a speedball c2 and c3 in my very small nib collection. I know everyone recommends the pilot parallel pens but as I already had a universal holder and i like the idea of being able to change inks when i get better and have a bigger collection, I like the idea of a dip pen.
However... is anyone able to help me get started or point me in the right direction? Do I use this nib in the same way as my Nikko G that I was starting copperplate with? How do I clean it? Is there any better nibs for beginners?

Can I add... I am a leftie. Which has not been a problem so far but with the whole angle thing of a broad edge  nib, im not so sure...

Any advice you can think of would be great! Including how to not have too much ink on your pen...  ???

Thanks in advance.
Lucie
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 12:36:29 PM by Loppetz »

GaryL

Re: Newbie - broad edge calligraphy
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 05:35:54 AM »
Hi Lucie,

Mitchell roundhand nibs are available in 10 widths especially for lefthanders like us. There are reservoirs too which slide over the back of the nib and can be filled using a small paint brush. You should have no problem finding them in the UK, but if you do, let me know and I'll try and help.
The edge of the nib is cut at an oblique angle to compensate for the problem we have with the writing angle to form good "thicks" and "thins".

Best wishes,
Gary