Author Topic: Self-Learning a new script - a method that works  (Read 12878 times)

Offline Sarah Foutz

• Write on!
    • View Profile
Re: Self-Learning a new script - a method that works
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2015, 12:45:58 AM »
Ken, excellent advice!!! I wish I would have known your methods when I first started, now I have some bad habits--like writing words with certain letters I never took the time to master, thinking it would magically happen the more I wrote. I need to go back to the basics and get them all right!!! Even though I am a very spontaneous "free spirited" person, it helps to have a structured approach for faster results. :)
Sarah Pearl Foutz
Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What! You, too? I thought I was the only one!" C.S. Lewis
http://instagram.com/sarahpearlstudio

Offline June P

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2015, 08:52:06 AM »
Thanks Ken! This is an older thread but very good instruction.
See with what large letters I have written to you with my own hand! Galatians 6:11

Offline Saron

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2015, 04:30:49 PM »
I am a bit late to this thread but thank you Ken, I am self studying with Dick Jacksons wonderful Copperplate Calligraphy book.
I will take on board what you have said (as good teachers are few and far between).

Regards

Saron

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2015, 10:48:41 AM »
Thank you all for your responses, (including the more recent ones), to this topic which is now considered old.

I am a great believer in resurrecting old topics and threads, as calligraphy and handwriting doesn't date and the information is probably just as relevant to new members as to the long-standing participants.

Ken

Offline Os

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2015, 10:02:04 PM »
Thanks for the great advice, Ken! I have just started calligraphy and have been playing around the past few days, just to get a feel of the dip pen. I have yet to devise a way to make practice meaningful, but thanks to you, I now have a good idea on how to actually START calligraphy.

Cheers!

Camille

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2015, 09:11:30 AM »
Thanks for the great advice, Ken! I have just started calligraphy and have been playing around the past few days, just to get a feel of the dip pen. I have yet to devise a way to make practice meaningful, but thanks to you, I now have a good idea on how to actually START calligraphy.

Cheers!

Camille

I'm delighted to have been of service!  :)

Offline InkyFingers

• All creations not equal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2015, 10:28:52 AM »
I first started with Spencerian.  Did not know about any other cursive.  I stumbled upon John Bland round hand sample on the internet super highway.  Blown away, I kept practing the round hand using the Spencerian guide.  Now.. I can't separate the two.

Ken, anyway method to separate them?  I love both cursive and I wanted to be able to separate them.   For Spencerian, I use a more rigid flex, and for round hand a very easy to flex nib.  The marriage of Spencerian majuscle with English Round hand miniscule, I think is my current handwritting. 

Offline dimins

• View Profile
    • Unravellations
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2015, 02:54:34 PM »
I love your advice,and it is a timely reminder.

I am a beginner at Copperplate, and I like to write words or quotes for practice because they're more interesting. But I completely understand that I may miss out certain key mistakes that I'm making if I do that. I will try your advice!
- Mandy

Blog: Unravellations | Instagram: @dimins | Twitter: @unravellations

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2015, 05:47:46 PM »
I first started with Spencerian.  Did not know about any other cursive.  I stumbled upon John Bland round hand sample on the internet super highway.  Blown away, I kept practing the round hand using the Spencerian guide.  Now.. I can't separate the two.

Ken, anyway method to separate them?  I love both cursive and I wanted to be able to separate them.   For Spencerian, I use a more rigid flex, and for round hand a very easy to flex nib.  The marriage of Spencerian majuscle with English Round hand miniscule, I think is my current handwritting.

I believe that this is a common problem. The two styles are ostensibly similar but are, in fact, entirely different. Spencerian majuscules can sometimes look good with Copperplate minuscules but the minuscules alone, of both styles, never mix well IMO.

I'm sorry that, to the best of my knowledge,  there is no short cut here. They really do have to be learned separately and thoroughly. In your position, I would make a definite decision as to which I wanted to learn first, and then I would concentrate solely on that script until I was confident that I knew it really well. You'll know when you've reached that point, as the lettering will flow effortlessly under the hand.

Then the process can be repeated with the other style. When you have equal and total control over both styles, you should be able to write either style without effort.

None of this, is particularly difficult; it just takes time.

Ken

Offline InkyFingers

• All creations not equal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2015, 10:15:21 PM »
Ken.  Thanks.

When I first started with script, it took me many seconds of thoughts before laying down ink, now I do it without any precursor thoughts.
I will try to keep to only English Round hand for now, I am enjoying the shading so much and the pens that I am using gives so much more and effortlessly.

Right now, I am trying to retire flexing a bit to concentrate on Italic (per many of your posts).  Also, because I feel I have not improved much on the English Round Hand.
So perhaps, a fresh start after Italic would give me some lights.

Happy Holidays...

Offline randy2

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2015, 01:59:46 AM »
Thanks Ken,
I usually don't comment but just lurk. I really enjoy and learn from your posts.
This one is so timely for me because in learning copper plate I'm some times told to make a word or sentence when I've only brushed the other letters...and the resulting script is disheartening and discouraging because everything looks so poor compared to an authors or the pro's result. So intuitively I've felt I should really form each letter both in my mind and hand before sentencing or word building, in which develops new hurdles like spacing and connectors.
Also, your In depth explanations like the sharp connectors in Spencerian shows and explains were I'm missing the boat... You see when you don't know, you don't know that you don't know. And when you don't know what to look for it gets missed. I can see it's not right but I can't figure what's wrong. So ultimately it's really a good thing to have a pro explain and even dissect a hand.
Again thanks.
Randy

Offline Mike A

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2016, 12:11:43 PM »
Ken,
I'm a beginner learning foundational hand - and would also like to add my thanks for this excellent advice  :)

I think learning any hand is tough, particularly when you have perfectionist tendencies (me) and you are a beginner trying to emulate the strokes of a master.... !

ash0kgiri

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2016, 03:00:48 PM »
Hi @Ken Fraser

So well said and explained. Excellent. Im new to pointed pen calligraphy and now i even dream of letters. (you can see my work in Kind Critique section under 'Please Right if im Wrong'). Im also very interested in learning Spencerian script. Can you please guide me with what books or videos i should refer to? For engrossers i closely follow Dr. Vitolo's videos and online book. And how can i not mention members from this awesome forum.

I would also be grateful if you could have a look at my work and add your valuable comments.

Regards,
Ashok